Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tayto Park Rollercoaster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

There was an article in the Meath Chronicle about this a few weeks ago - they got the go ahead for it with planning permission anyway!

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/07/02/4031258-giant-new-coaster-gets-goahead-at-tayto-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

I wonder how they're going to cope with the increased numbers of cars/buses? They estimate 850,000 visitors per year. Currently there's just a local road access from the N2, so I'm surprised the locals didn't object to this, unless they plan to create a new entrance access?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

apparently work start in august on the coaster and will take 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Wooden framed coaster :S ......why would locals object ?? surely they knew what the plan was

I think to create a version of alton towers would be great ..already tayto park is a massive boost to the local economy ....local petrol station booming, nama hotel selling rooms to familys that stay over night, the restaurant probably buys meats from the local wholesalers in ashbourne and fish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Vego wrote: »
    ......why would locals object ??

My point was would they not have objected to the lack of infrastructure to handle 850,000 people coming to and from the park!

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    My point was would they not have objected to the lack of infrastructure to handle 850,000 people coming to and from the park!

"Extension of the existing Tayto Park facility
    on a site of approximately 18.ha to
    include: a New Vehicular Entrance to Tayto park from the R155
    a new Roundabout Junction on the R 15 at Robinson's Cross
    Roads and associated works to the public road."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Good old Tayto Park.....they'll probably charge an additional €5 a go for the rollercoaster on top of an already expensive day out.

Once you pay your entrance fee that should be it. You shouldn't have to buy additional credits or tokens once your inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Good old Tayto Park.....they'll probably charge an additional €5 a go for the rollercoaster on top of an already expensive day out.

Once you pay your entrance fee that should be it. You shouldn't have to buy additional credits or tokens once your inside.

True but then the entrance fee would have to be around €70pp like the bigger theme parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

it shows courage on behalf of the owners to expand when even still so many business are closing or even struggling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

We were in tayto park today for the first time and we were impressed with it.
    Its not a huge energy consuming monster of a park more self-sustaining, lots of employment and a great day out for the kids.

We spent 26 euro for two adult passes and my under 3 went free, then spent 6 euro inside. Very good value for us.
    We didn't get to see it all, never mind the tayto factory tour.

Roads could be a problem with increased traffic (new coster) , but that would have to be Blackpool pleasure beach numbers id say.

Its real competition for Dublin zoo, my wife said its better!..............its great to see an Irish company own this and not a British, American or European multinational...great day out!

• Advertisement

robertxxx wrote: »

We spent 26 euro for two adult passes and my under 3 went free, then spent 6 euro inside. Very good value for us.
    We didn't get to see it all, never mind the tayto factory tour.

That changes drastically when you bring 3 older kids and they all want a go on the various activities. It makes for a fairly expensive day out!

I am delighted its doing so well, great for the area. I live down the road from it, handy for giving people directions......"follow the signs for Tayto Park".

Have they put any activitys in for adults yet for that price or is it still sitting on benches ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I'm glad to see something like this be developed, as it should become a good tourist attraction in Meath. I would wonder though, why are they going straight for the jugular and building one huge ride? Would it not make more sense to build maybe half a dozen smaller more varied rides first of all to give the place a bit more of a variety in terms of thrill rides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hibbeler wrote: »
    I'm glad to see something like this be developed, as it should become a good tourist attraction in Meath. I would wonder though, why are they going straight for the jugular and building one huge ride? Would it not make more sense to build maybe half a dozen smaller more varied rides first of all to give the place a bit more of a variety in terms of thrill rides?

They've lots of other bits and pieces in the making as far as I know. Was passing by last week and saw some new thing, not sure exactly what it is but looks like it has a carriage on either end and it spins around, at a guess I'd say it's about 40/50m high

It's definitely a boost for the locals, lots of local teens working in the park and local businesses should be able to piggy back off the increased numbers but at the same time I'd say there are a few less than pleased locals.

Although there are plans for new roads and roundabouts, the traffic at the moment and the speed cars travel up and down a very small road is madness, how there aren't a lot more accidents I've no idea

Listened to the interview on the radio, Mr. Coyle has lots of other rides/attractions in development, the RC needed PP to go ahead, the others don't, there are also plans for some indoor activities.

Ah I see, I thought it was just going to be the roller coaster on it's own and that surely would turn into a white elephant fairly sharpish.

Definitely good for the area in terms of employment and tourism.

I think Meath in general is in dire need of something to liven the place up for tourists and this could be just the ticket. I mean we have plenty going for us in terms of history, Bru na Boinne, Trim Castle etc. But places like Kells and Slane have nothing to keep people there and Kells in particular is a bit grotty. Meath has plenty of tourism potential imo but most of it is not being fulfilled atm

But places like Kells and Slane have nothing to keep people there

Emm, Slane Castle, Newgrange, Newgrange farm, Red mountain :confused::confused:

bladespin wrote: »
    Emm, Slane Castle, Newgrange, Newgrange farm, Red mountain :confused::confused:

Yes but my point is that there's nothing to make you want to stay in Slane. You come see newgrange or the castle or whatever and then you leave. Tourist industry is built upon people coming to see the attraction, exploring the local area, spending money in the local shop/pub/restaurant. There's nothing really there to make a tourist want to stay a bit longer and part with some more catch.

This is a shame really as you've just pointed out that the attractions are there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Only today, coming through Kells i saw a bunch of tourists , with cameras, standing at the cross of Kells, there were privates buses parked outside the Headfort hotel, so i presume some were spending their money.

Newgrange farm has a cafe thats always got a few people in it spending money while touring the farm .....oldbridge house has a fantastic Food and beverage operation and great gardens also a museum,

• Advertisement

chrysagon wrote: »
    Only today, coming through Kells i saw a bunch of tourists , with cameras, standing at the cross of Kells, there were privates buses parked outside the Headfort hotel, so i presume some were spending their money.

That's good to hear even if it's only anecdotal evidence. Although after seeing the high cross and eating in the headfort, what else is there to do in Kells that would entice someone back or even just to stay in town for a couple hours longer?
    Vego wrote: »
    Newgrange farm has a cafe thats always got a few people in it spending money while touring the farm .....oldbridge house has a fantastic Food and beverage operation and great gardens also a museum,

Yes Oldbridge estate is an excellent example of what I am talking about. One could easily spend the day there and was always busy anytime I was at it. I really like it

Haven't been to Newgrange farm in about 15 years so can't really comment. The fact that it's been going since at least I was a young fella means it must be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Tell that to most of the travelling funfairs, and my general Rollercoaster Tycoon strategy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

That's good to hear even if it's only anecdotal evidence. Although after seeing the high cross and eating in the headfort, what else is there to do in Kells that would entice someone back or even just to stay in town for a couple hours longer?

The Tower of LLoyd, the round tower and St. Colmcille's house, Martry Mill

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Good to see some proper theme parks being built properly and not the funderland or tramore ones they just don't seem as safe as a proper theme park like this. I would love some drop towers, more roller coasters, frisbee, gravitron, boosters, enterprise, ferris wheel, fireball, log rides, pirate ship, bungee, screamin swings, round up, sky swat, top scan, top spin, yeah am a bit of nerd when its come to this stuff.

I will be very interested to see how they use the rollercoaster. Will it be included in the entrance fee or will it be another €2 a pop? I've got serious issues with their pricing structures.

I will be very interested to see how they use the rollercoaster. Will it be included in the entrance fee or will it be another €2 a pop? I've got serious issues with their pricing structures.

Its €4 for the zip line, you can bet the rollercoaster will be extra.

TBH if they're charging for individual rides then I wouldn't be overly happy about paying an entrance fee at all.

bladespin wrote: »
    TBH if they're charging for individual rides then I wouldn't be overly happy about paying an entrance fee at all.

I suppose the way they see it is, you pay in for the zoo and pay extra for the rides

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I suppose the way they see it is, you pay in for the zoo and pay extra for the rides

Its an poor enough zoo. Appears to be plagued by animal welfare issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Bit of a con though, Drayton Manor in the UK have some great rides and a Zoo yet still only charge one fee.

Advertisement