Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A few questions about an Irish exemption

• 25-11-2014 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been struggling with Irish for a long time and was really worrying about it, but recently I've learned that I may not even need to sit the exam at all. I was born in England and moved to Ireland around 6 months later. I've been in Irish schools all of my life. Am I correct in saying that I can get exempt from Irish in NUI colleges? Is it guaranteed?

If I don't end up going to an NUI college, would this course require Irish? Software Design in AIT:

Grade C3 at higher level in two subjects, plus Grade D3 at ordinary level in four other subjects in the Leaving Certificate examination. Two of these subjects must be Mathematics and a language English or Irish or Min Irish Foundation Level/B3 (no points awarded for foundation Level Irish). Foundation level Mathematics will not suffice to meet the requirement.

Would it matter if I didn't sit the exam? I do HL English and German if that makes a difference. I have doubts that I'll pass OL Irish, and I feel that having no Irish would look better than having FL Irish.

I plan on meeting my school's guidance counselor soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Consonata

You can't get an exemption in Irish on those grounds, you've been in Ireland basically your entire life so you still have to do Irish. I was born in Derry yet I lived in Donegal most of my life. I still have to do Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

Consonata wrote: »
    You can't get an exemption in Irish on those grounds, you've been in Ireland basically your entire life so you still have to do Irish. I was born in Derry yet I lived in Donegal most of my life. I still have to do Irish.

I don't plan on dropping Irish completely, I just plan on not doing the exam. I was led to believe (from reading previous threads on boards) that if I was born outside of Ireland and came here at any point then I could be exempt from the Irish requirement in NUI colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Eazzah wrote: »
    I was led to believe (from reading previous threads on boards) that if I was born outside of Ireland and came here at any point then I could be exempt from the Irish requirement in NUI colleges.

No.

But it's not a requirement of most 3rd level courses AFAIK.

smcgiff wrote: »
    No.

I'm still confused now. You're saying no, but in another thread someone said: Irish not required for those born outside of Ireland for entry to NUI.

No.

I'm still confused. You're saying no, but in another thread someone said: Irish not required for those born outside of Ireland for entry to NUI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

You only need to go in sign your name, spend half hour then you can walk back out.
    At least that was what I did for mine

Lets get specific. What course do you want to study in NUI?

That you moved to Ireland when you were 6 months old is 100% irrelevant.

I've been looking at:
    - BSc COMPUTER SCIENCE AND SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
    - BA HISTORY

They both require Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I've been looking at:
    - BSc COMPUTER SCIENCE AND SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
    - BA HISTORY

They both require Irish.

NUI exemptions apply if you were over the age of 10 when you moved here. You have been through the whole education system here. Do the Ordinary Level paper, it's not impossible to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

People born outside of the ROI, like myself, are exempt from having Irish as a required subject for entry. You will need another language though, and would it not be better giving the exam your best shot so that you can say you tried? You might pass!

• Advertisement

PeterJC! wrote: »
    People born outside of the ROI, like myself, are exempt from having Irish as a required subject for entry. You will need another language though, and would it not be better giving the exam your best shot so that you can say you tried? You might pass!

Thank you, exactly what I needed confirmation of!

I'd rather not do the exam and instead focus on improving my physics grade. A science subject is needed for a lot of courses and I want to hopefully pass HL physics rather than drop down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm still confused now. You're saying no, but in another thread someone said: Irish not required for those born outside of Ireland for entry to NUI.

That is correct.

Emphasis on NUI. It is not a department exemption, your school is still obliged to teach you Irish unless you are exempt from learning it, which you are not.

NUI colleges require a pass in English, Irish, Maths and another language. You'll be exempt from passing Irish. I believe TCD matriculation requires a pass in English, Maths and any other language (you'd want to look that up), Maths and English or Irish and another language for DCU and something similar for UL. Make sure you're not trying to get into a course that specifically asks for Irish (Primary Teaching or something) and double check the Irish language requirement for every college you're thinking of applying to. NUI exemption only covers you for NUI colleges.

What year are you in?

http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/ExemptionsApplform092010.pdf

Fill this out and send it in. You'll need a copy of your non-Irish birth cert. If you're not in 6th year now, let them know your CAO number when you apply to the CAO.
    That you moved to Ireland when you were 6 months old is 100% irrelevant.

It is very much relevant for an NUI exemption.
    NUI exemptions apply if you were over the age of 10 when you moved here. You have been through the whole education system here. Do the Ordinary Level paper, it's not impossible to pass.

I believe that's for the department's exemption.

OP would still have to learn Irish in school.

Apologies...

Looks like I was wrong. See section B.

www.nui.ie/college/docs/exemption.pdf

Nimr wrote: »

It is very much relevant for an NUI exemption.

Yip. I looked into it, was 100% wrong. Strange exemption considering the OP's case, but it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Not exactly answering the question but threads like this really annoy me. You moved to Ireland at an age where no one your age could actually speak. So by the time you started talking you were already living in Ireland for over a year, yet people feel that this gives them the right to get an exemption.
    You have studied Irish in school for the same length of time as any Irish born child. It's a disgrace that someone can get an exemption based on this.
    Not a dig at you OP just at the system really, makes no sense. If someone moved at 10/12 etc. fair enough they have missed 6 years of Irish, but someone who started primary school in Ireland should have to do it like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

seavill wrote: »
    Not exactly answering the question but threads like this really annoy me. You moved to Ireland at an age where no one your age could actually speak. So by the time you started talking you were already living in Ireland for over a year, yet people feel that this gives them the right to get an exemption.
    You have studied Irish in school for the same length of time as any Irish born child. It's a disgrace that someone can get an exemption based on this.
    Not a dig at you OP just at the system really, makes no sense. If someone moved at 10/12 etc. fair enough they have missed 6 years of Irish, but someone who started primary school in Ireland should have to do it like the rest of us.

Completely agree with this actually. I moved when I was twelve and missed the exemption age by a few months but I'm now doing honours Irish and will hopefully get a B in the LC; Irish just takes a lot of work!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

seavill wrote: »
    but someone who started primary school in Ireland should have to do it like the rest of us.

I would agree with you. And they do have to do Irish. The NUI exemption just makes them eligible to apply to almost any college without passing Irish. So, technically, sitting the exam is a waste of time. Unless a student moved here after 11 years of age, the DES won't exempt them and the school is obliged to teach them. IMO, that is a little harsh.

I moved here when I was 10. Didn't do Irish in primary school, I got extra English lessons instead. Started secondary at 12 and was told that I'll have to do Irish. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Nimr wrote: »
    I would agree with you. And they do have to do Irish. The NUI exemption just makes them eligible to apply to almost any college without passing Irish. So, technically, sitting the exam is a waste of time. Unless a student moved here after 11 years of age, the DES won't exempt them and the school is obliged to teach them. IMO, that is a little harsh.

I moved here when I was 10. Didn't do Irish in primary school, I got extra English lessons instead. Started secondary at 12 and was told I'll have to do Irish. Go figure.

Yes I know they have to do Irish my wording was slightly off. They shouldn't be entitled to any exemption was my point.
    It's not a level playing field. I study Irish for 14 years, the person sitting beside me studies Irish for 14 years but spent their first two weeks in a different country, they get the NUI exemption, as someone said, go figure.

Anyway not really relevant to the thread I was just having a rant

Advertisement