Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Orton is boring. He has no character, other than Generic Heel #2. As a heel, he is annoying at best - but as a face he's atrocious. I fast-forward anytime he's on. Glad to see him out of the main event picture, he was stinking out the place. I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

dlofnep wrote: »
    Orton is boring. He has no character, other than Generic Heel #2. As a heel, he is annoying at best - but as a face he's atrocious. I fast-forward anytime he's on. Glad to see him out of the main event picture, he was stinking out the place. I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Have you seen his series with Cesaro recently? He's still a strong in ring wrestler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

rovert wrote: »
    Have you seen his series with Cesaro recently? He's still a strong in ring wrestler.

His in-ring skills are not in question. His overall persona however bores the utter tripe out of me. He's not an interesting person. He's very bland, with a monotone voice. Not to mention, being an arrogant prick doesn't really help his case. It's good to see him finally cut down to size and humbled. Far too much talent now in the WWE for him to act like a diva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Generico passes his tests and is Tampa bound:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2013/01/30/20538121.html

Loved this bit:
    [SIZE=+0]"My fans in Montreal deserve the truth. My real name is ... El Generico! And yes, I am leaving. I'm going back to Mexico to be with my wife and my orphan children!"[/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Prince Devitt pinned Tanahashi in tag match today. A singles PPV match would be a dream match.

Imagine an Irishman holding the IWGP Title. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Imagine an Irishman holding the IWGP Title. Wow.

Imagine at Irishman holding the World Heavyweight Championship. Yawn.

Imagine at Irishman holding the World Heavyweight Championship. Yawn.
    Both are mind boggling achievements but an Irishman making it to that extent in Japan is even more implausible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Are there even any Irish wrestlers who go to japan or have wrestled in japan? Not including Dave Finlay. But I mean younger Irish wrestlers.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Are there even any Irish wrestlers who go to japan or have wrestled in japan? Not including Dave Finlay. But I mean younger Irish wrestlers.

Two trainees of Devitt's Jordan Devlin (as Frank David) and Sean Maxer Brennan (as Sean Guinness :D) tour Japan too. For the last two years or so for a large indy company called Zero 1:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtx0l5_shawn-guinness-frank-david-vs-takuya-sugawara-mineo-fujita-c-zero1_sport?search_algo=2#.UQ7Zyb802So

Rebecca Knox wrestled in Japan a bit too even tagging with a pre-WWE Nattie Neidhardt:

iwgp3iu.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Both are mind boggling achievements but an Irishman making it to that extent in Japan is even more implausible.

It'd be amazing if Devitt were to hold NJPW's top honour, but I'd think it's more difficult to become WWE's champion, as it's not as much built on talent as it is looks and politics.

I really hope Devitt and Tanahashi have a singles PPV match. Would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'm surprised they've taken this long to move him up. He's done everything he can in the Jr. Heavyweight division, he's really over and there's a load of amazing matches to be had with Tanahashi, Nakamura, Okada, Naito etc.

I'm surprised they've taken this long to move him up. He's done everything he can in the Jr. Heavyweight division, he's really over and there's a load of amazing matches to be had with Tanahashi, Nakamura, Okada, Naito etc.

Devitt is fairly small compared to some of those. Tanahashi has 50lbs on Devitt for example. Also you want to protect the Juniors division. Unlike US Wrestling Japan still protects tag teams and cruisers.

jaykhunter wrote: »

It'd be amazing if Devitt were to hold NJPW's top honour, but I'd think it's more difficult to become WWE's champion, as it's not as much built on talent as it is looks and politics.

But its more unlikely that any European would get a regularly high spot in Japan than in WWE. WWE would be where most aspire to get whereas Japan is almost a niche within a niche and even then the Japanese rarely trust westerns with their big title these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm thinking Undertaker setting up the WM match personally. Between the whole "dead" theme, the timing and the rumours (beyond that they did the same before and WWE loves repeating their stories and themes).

WWE Anonymous is a prankster/weirdo. Just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

His comeback videos are always a lot darker than his actual return. That video just screams a return of the dark Undertaker, Id love to see him come back and say he has been controlling The Shield and they are his new brood and their beat downs are basically blood baths.

• Advertisement

Yep. Thank you Rovert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Oh thank god! I thought someone was stealing my future "V for Vendetta" gimmick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

So it's fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It'd be amazing if Devitt were to hold NJPW's top honour, but I'd think it's more difficult to become WWE's Midcard champion, as it's not as much built on talent as it is looks and politics.

You forgot a word there ;)

IWGP title is far above the WHC. TNA's title is worth more than that.

In the year 2 Aught 12, I found myself engaged in a variety of combative exercises with a plethora of scoundrels, scamps, and all-around bad eggs within the squared circle. At some point, a select aura of my earthly shell fell victim to traumatic distress. I forged on, unwilling to allow loathsome figures like Delirious, Ophidian, and Ravage to carry-on unchecked. Alas, this physical peccadillo has caught up with me and I have been forced to undergo several aesculapian procedures via the scalpel's blade. With the aid of ethereal curative tonics collected from the natural springs of the Sea of Capricorn, I patiently convalesce.

So CHIKARA's Ultra Mantis Black is out injured. :P

jpeg

A great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Damn i was getting excited at the idea of a new dark gimmick in WWE. Someone that could take over for Undertaker and Kane when they leave.

Of course that being said, when looking at the FCW roster I was wondering who would have the gimmick.

Court Bauer (podcaster, ex WWE Creative) thinks Heyman's current character is based on:

boardwalk1235jpg-4420e1.jpg

Arnold Rothstein from Broadwalk Empire.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You forgot a word there ;) IWGP title is far above the WHC. TNA's title is worth more than that.

Ol' Sheamo's been WWE AND World Champion. He's taken the top honour, beating John Cena to do it. He's also won the Rumble. All he's left is to main event WrestleMania and job to Taker at Mania and he'll have done every top honour. It's really unbelievable that a lad from Cabra has gone so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Court Bauer (podcaster, ex WWE Creative) thinks Heyman's current character is based on:

Arnold Rothstein from Broadwalk Empire.

Can't see it, not in terms of demeanour and mannerisms anyway. Maybe from the perspective of Heyman using so many "chess pieces" in his quest for power (Punk, Lesnar, Shield, Maddox, Vicky) but that's not exactly a play unique to Rothstein.

I really think it comes down to just Heyman being the Heyman character which incidently, he's brilliant at. :pac:

• Advertisement

WWE wrote this so I didn't have to. Fecking loved the Dangerous Alliance in early 90s WCW. Have a comp tape of all their compilation of their zillion singles, tag, six and eight man matches on all of WCW weekend TV shows carrying some of the poxyiest wrestlers on the roster to fun matches.

20130131_EP_LIGHT_heyman_C-homepage2.jpg
    Imagine, for a moment, a world in which Paul Heyman is an evil mastermind with a crew of blue-chip competitors under his guidance (a shocking notion, we know). Think The Nexus as run by a cult leader instead of a general; a many-armed entity of destruction with a silver-tongued devil and master strategist as its leader.

Of course, wrestling historians will know that this is no mere fever dream or wild speculation, but instead a history lesson in the ways of the Dangerous Alliance. For years Heyman operated with a crew of feverish acolytes that carried out the mastermind’s bidding, capturing championship gold through intimidation and trickery and blazing a trail across sports-entertainment history. The Alliance (so named after Heyman’s original nickname, Paul E. Dangerously) existed in several incarnations and organizations throughout the ’80s and ’90s — permutations of the group peppered the AWA, WCW and ECW — but always seemed to burn out just as fast as they ascended to dominance, with some kind of internal dispute typically tearing the group asunder (for example: The WCW version disbanded when Heyman departed the company; the ECW incarnation fell by the wayside thanks to Tazz sustaining injury and Sabu’s dismissal from The Land of Extreme). Frankly, these dissolutions were a blessing in disguise, as the only thing more ominous to a locker room than the notion of the old Dangerous Alliance is the possibility of its resurrection.

Oddly enough, the idea isn’t such a far-fetched notion anymore.

The possibility exists that Heyman is (or was, anyway) seeking to reform his signature stable with a new crop of talent. First, Heyman did, in fact, collaborate with Brad Maddox and The Shield to keep the WWE Championship fastened around CM Punk’s waist. Plus, Brock Lesnar sent Mr. McMahon into surgery in defense of his former mouthpiece moments before Heyman was to be fired.

The implications are — in a word — formidable. Punk (a Heyman guy from the get-go) has already shown himself to be a capable leader of men with The Straight Edge Society and New Nexus, two groups that terrorized WWE in years past. Lesnar (another Heyman disciple) is the wrecking ball who could be dispatched to destroy anything in his path. The Shield have perfected the art of hiding in plain sight, and their value as seek-and-destroy mercenaries would be literally immeasurable. Maddox, if he and Heyman can make amends, would be the ace in the hole, a crooked ref who could singlehandedly alter the course of a contest without ever laying a finger on a Superstar.

Lesnar may have inadvertently blown the lid off the whole thing by showing up unannounced, but since when has that stopped Heyman? Assuming he can finagle a way to re-sign the former WWE and UFC Champion to a contract (and assuming he can lock down The Shield full-time), the mad scientist has all the ingredients necessary to bring his experiment to WWE for the first time.

The only question remaining is, to what end would Heyman create a new Dangerous Alliance? Taking out The Rock and restoring Punk or installing Lesnar as WWE Champion? Attempting to dismantle McMahon’s legacy and place WWE in Heyman’s control? How does a stable of followers play into what appeared to be a relatively narrow game plan by Heyman — keep Punk as WWE Champion — as recently as this past Sunday?

Then again, maybe this is the wrong question. Why would a man like Paul Heyman reform the Dangerous Alliance, if that is indeed what he’s trying to do? Given his proclivities, schemes and general desire to watch the world the McMahons built burn around him, perhaps the better question is: Why wouldn’t he?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement