Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were there 2 grocers called William M'Cormack?

• 27-11-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

See attached records on the Calendar of Wills website

On the 1st one William M'Cormack, Grocer, Upper William St. Limerick died 1878, bachelor, mother Bridget in Pallasgreen
    2nd one has William, Grocer, Upper William St. Limerick, died 1883, widow Margaret of Upper William St.

I am researching the Pallasgreen McCormacks, The 1878 death does not appear to be registered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

montgo wrote: »
    See attached records on the Calendar of Wills website

On the 1st one William M'Cormack, Grocer, Upper William St. Limerick died 1878, bachelor, mother Bridget in Pallasgreen
    2nd one has William, Grocer, Upper William St. Limerick, died 1883, widow Margaret of Upper William St.

I am researching the Pallasgreen McCormacks, The 1878 death does not appear to be registered.

Does the second one list mccormack as surname?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Yes.
    I just thought it was coincidence, that 2 grocers called William M'Cormack, both from Upper William St died 5 years apart, both dying on same day of month. And I cannot find the 1878 death record.

However, the name is common enough and both Williams are probably not related.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Eve222

I don't know if this is of any help to you, there was a William McCormack who had a public house on Upper William St. in 1846. I didn't come across a death record for 1878, but I did find one for July/Sept 1883 for a William McCormack, died aged 36. Could your two men have been father and son?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks Eve222.
    One of the members here kindly looked up the 1883 death record and it is unlikely that William from Pallasgrean was connected 2nd William.

If the information on the Will Calendars were correct, then William, the bachelor who died 1878 (mother was Bridget) couldn't be the son of William who was married to to Margaret & died 1883

Advertisement