Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Episode 5x10: 'Mother's Mercy' - READERS thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ok this thread has gotten up to 8 pages already so no chance I am making my way through that so...

Once again I enjoyed the episode but it did feel like they had to try cram so much into the last episode. They wrapped up a lot which is good going forward I suppose.

Not going to pick through the episode.

The one thing that has really annoyed me is the amount of people that spoilered this episode all over social media. I am talking about Irish people that downloaded it this morning and just had to write up what happens in their status'. Absolute **** like. How would they feel if book readers had posted all that stuff that happened on social media weeks ago?

Just hit fourth page #40PPPMasterrace

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

I havnt read the whole thread so not sure if any of this has been mentioned.

Myrcella dying on the boat was very cheap, i wonder did the dorne viper woman give bronn an antidote when she whispered that horrible/cheesey line in his ear. At this stage in the books myrcella has her ear cut off, maybe an attempt on her life will play the same role as the missing ear will in the books.

The cut when brienne was about to kill stannis was very suspicious aswell. very much like the books where the scene cuts when brienne was about to be hanged by lady stoneheart. brienne says a word and it looks like she is spared. both scenes in (in the show and book) are based around oath keeping. i wonder will brieene spare stannis.

Still unsure as to why the red witch left stannis. they have been in tough situations before and the red god has delivered. its pretty obvious that she will resurrect jon. i also find it odd that ghost appeared in the last episode (or was it the one before that?) for the first time in what feels like a couple of seasons. seems to me that jon will warg into ghost and the red witch will revive him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Melissandre left because I think she genuinely believed that she was wrong about Stannis.

First she makes him burn her daughter, then the snow melts but that's immediately followed by mass desertion of his army leaving him weak. I think she realises he is not the chosen.

I think she'll resurrect Jon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Melissandre left because I think she genuinely believed that she was wrong about Stannis.

First she makes him burn her daughter, then the snow melts but that's immediately followed by mass desertion of his army leaving him weak. I think she realises he is not the chosen.

I think she'll resurrect Jon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

In the books its mentioned that the resurrection by a Red Priest means the person loses a little bit of themselves? I think that's the reason why people want Jon-Ghost-Jon so Mel can raise Jon but he's his whole self.

Was that mentioned in the TV show? If not then yeah a straight up res.

Sansa should have used some guile to get out of something. I'm too sure where she can go now? The Wall? The Vale? Riverlands? I enjoyed the samples from the new book more than the TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finally one of the finest scenes of the season was Cersei's atonement. Her initial confession has lashings of dishonesty and the Lena Headleys subtly lets us know that she really hasn't learned any thing at that moment. The scene needed to be long to translate Cersei decent to humility. Her tiny smirk to the Septa during her scrubbing is wiped when her hair is cut, she composes herself and walks Naked to the Red Keep without trying to cover her bits like the previous High Septon. She begins determined and strong and eventually becomes a broken scared women covered in blood, filth and tears. It was poetic and one that may earn Lena an award.
    I'll comment on the rest of the episode later but if Headley wins an award for this scene I'll be pretty pissed off tbh. Her insistence on a body double for a scene she's had to have known was coming for years, and in a scene that, for once, actually required nudity was a real case of a star being pandered to imo. Maybe if the production team hadn't had to fork out for the CGI used here, they could have hired a competent second unit to film the Dorne scenes or a decent writer to give this season's script the final polish it so badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Rubbish, no one should have to be naked if they don't want to. And very few people want to spend 3 days standing around in the nip with 200 slobbering extras trying to take selfies of themselves and your bits. The woman has a no nudity clause as well apparently so a body double was always on the cards.

Can't quote on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Sleepy wrote: »
    Her insistence on a body double for a scene she's had to have known was coming for years, and in a scene that, for once, actually required nudity was a real case of a star being pandered to imo.

How do you know she insisted on a body double?

And even if she did, so what? People are entitled to refuse to do nudity if they wish.

Any actress insisting on a no nudity clause when playing Cersei Lannister was not prepared to do her job and shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Her refusal to do what she's being paid very well to do cost the production both the wages of the body double and the cost of the CGI. On a show that's already struggling so heavily with it's budget, kowtowing to such prudishness is pretty unforgiveable imo.

I'm not someone whinging that I didn't get to see Lena Headley naked, she's done nude scenes plenty of times before, and if I'm honest, the body double had a nicer figure than her in my opinion. tbh, rather too nice, if they had to cast a body double they should've stuck to the books reference points of stretch marks and sagging breasts imo. It just pisses me off to see such unnecessary wasting of money in a series that's starting to be ruined by poor decisions from the show-runners.

Any actress insisting on a no nudity clause when playing Cersei Lannister was not prepared to do her job and shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Her refusal to do what she's being paid very well to do cost the production both the wages of the body double and the cost of the CGI. On a show that's already struggling so heavily with it's budget, kowtowing to such prudishness is pretty unforgiveable imo.

I'm not someone whinging that I didn't get to see Lena Headley naked, she's done nude scenes plenty of times before, and if I'm honest, the body double had a nicer figure than her in my opinion. tbh, rather too nice, if they had to cast a body double they should've stuck to the books reference points of stretch marks and sagging breasts imo. It just pisses me off to see such unnecessary wasting of money in a series that's starting to be ruined by poor decisions from the show-runners.

Sleepy I normally enjoy your posts on GoT but the above just comes off as throwing toys out of the pram tbh. Very petty. I cant see how it matters if its a body double or not. The scene worked and thats all that matters. Im unconcerned whose particular body it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wasn't Lena Headley pregnant when they filmed the walk of shame?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Sleepy I normally enjoy your posts on GoT but the above just comes off as throwing toys out of the pram tbh. Very petty. I cant see how it matters if its a body double or not. The scene worked and thats all that matters. Im unconcerned whose particular body it was.
    It only matters that it was a body double because it necessitated the use of CGI, something that costs tens of thousands per second of screen time.

That scene worked quite well, but I think we can all agree that lots of scenes this season haven't and budget is one of the most cited excuses for many of the mis-steps this season and I can't help but wonder if they had simply hired a less prudish actress in the first place, or even if they'd used the more classic route of flesh coloured underwear and clever camera angles, could the money wasted to protect Headley's blushes have saved other parts of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

It's only a small thing - but I couldn't see, what was it that Jon saw when he went over to the group of Night's Watch lads all huddled around something? It looked like something painted on a wooden sign, but I couldn't read what it was, it was too dark. Was it significant? Anyone catch what it was?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It's only a small thing - but I couldn't see, what was it that Jon saw when he went over to the group of Night's Watch lads all huddled around something? It looked like something painted on a wooden sign, but I couldn't read what it was, it was too dark. Was it significant? Anyone catch what it was?

Traitor was written on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

It was the word traitor on a piece of wood

I think we can all agree that lots of scenes this season haven't and budget is one of the most cited excuses for many of the mis-steps this season and I can't help but wonder if they had simply hired a less prudish actress in the first place, or even if they'd used the more classic route of flesh coloured underwear and clever camera angles, could the money wasted to protect Headley's blushes have saved other parts of this season.

This is a bit coulda woulda shoulda.

I cant saw Ive seen any "excuses" for anything this season? Im not really sure what you are referring to - are you saying the producers are apologising after the fact for particular episodes - despite this being a hugely successful production?

I dont agree that lots of scenes this season didnt work. A handful over 10 episodes, but more than made up for with the rest IMO.

Why do you think an actress invoking a non nudity clause is about prudishness? Theres lots a reasons an actor or actress doesnt do nudity. I think its important to respect the choice of anyone who doesnt want to do it. I dont have to get my kit off when I go to work and frankly if I did Id be looking for a different job!

Perhaps if theyd saved money on this scene they would have spent it on another scene that people moan unnecessarily about?

If people dont enjoy the show then, switch it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It the book the ides happened after the wildlings had been sent off from Castle Black. Wonder what Tormund will do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Wasn't Lena Headley pregnant when they filmed the walk of shame?

I've seen other people say that same.

Maybe she was.

I think if she didn't or couldn't to the nude scene then fine, you can use a double for some distant shots & rear shots and film Lena up close like they did for her reaction, etc.

There was no need for the constant full frontal shots in my opinion. We got the message. She is naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I dont agree that lots of scenes this season didnt work. A handful over 10 episodes, but more than made up for with the rest IMO.
    If people dont enjoy the show then, switch it off?

I think loads didn't work this season, the more they veered from the book the worse the scenes and dialogue got.

I won't be watching next season as it airs, I will wait for the book, be that 2016 or 2017.

I think a lot of people are going to switch off. Not a huge amount that HBO would be worried, but the figures won't be as big next season.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think if she didn't or couldn't to the nude scene then fine, you can use a double for some distant shots & rear shots and film Lena up close like they did for her reaction, etc.

Then you would have another group of people complaining that they

"completely toned down that scene from the books and jesus I'm never watching this show again."

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    Then you would have another group of people complaining that they

"completely toned down that scene from the books and jesus I'm never watching this show again."

As far as I can tell people complain no matter what they do. Some people should just stop watching the show. If it infuriates you so much that you are complaining every episode - then why watch it? There are many posters in this forum who do nothing but complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If it infuriates you so much that you are complaining every episode - then why watch it? There are many posters in this forum who do nothing but complain.

Welcome to the internet.

Wait for the True Detective thread next week, it's gonna be fun, fun, fun.

"This is not a good as last season, because of this, this and this"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I've just gone over the Dorne plotline from the books - a plot to put Myrcella on the throne would have been far more compelling than the mangled mess that took its place.

I've just gone over the Dorne plotline from the books - a plot to put Myrcella on the throne would have been far more compelling than the mangled mess that took its place.

It doesn't exactly lead anywhere does it though?

The Dorne plot from the show has been a mess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Daith wrote: »
    In the books its mentioned that the resurrection by a Red Priest means the person loses a little bit of themselves? I think that's the reason why people want Jon-Ghost-Jon so Mel can raise Jon but he's his whole self.

Was that mentioned in the TV show? If not then yeah a straight up res.

Sansa should have used some guile to get out of something. I'm too sure where she can go now? The Wall? The Vale? Riverlands? I enjoyed the samples from the new book more than the TV show.

Kill the boy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Seen it mentioned about Ghost not appearing. I found that extremely strange. All through the show they have shown the direwolves to have like a sixth sense of when the stark kids are in trouble and always intervene but this time nothing. Even if they had panned to ghost locked up or something it would have at least nipped that in the bud.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Seen it mentioned about Ghost not appearing. I found that extremely strange. All through the show they have shown the direwolves to have like a sixth sense of when the stark kids are in trouble and always intervene but this time nothing. Even if they had panned to ghost locked up or something it would have at least nipped that in the bud.

He should have howled over the scenes of Jon's blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Lena Headley was definitely pregnant when they filmed Cersei's walk of shame, so it's pretty obvious why she used a body double - I know D&D have gone completely off plan compared to the novel, but a pregnant Cersei would have been a step too far IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It the book the ides happened after the wildlings had been sent off from Castle Black. Wonder what Tormund will do now.

The wildings have left Castle Black

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Rudy Savory Kitty

Anyone else bothered by the Arya face thing. Did she just take a face from the rack and slap it on? Seems a bit too easy. That whole plot line seems unnecessarily riddly and complex.

Advertisement