Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mark 6 VW Golf Fault

Options
  • 31-03-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My 2009 VW Golf 2.0 tdi has displayed a warning lamp for past week and was due a service yesterday so mechanic was to look into it. I get a call an hour later to say the warning lamp (engine management light) can't be cleared and it may be one of three things or even two or all three of the these things that need to be replaced. One item would cost over 100 euro, the other over 300 euro and the last, the only one I can recall the name of, the turbo, over 800 euro. That's not counting the labour! The car is out of warranty just over a year and basically I'm wondering if a turbo should need to be replaced already on such a relatively new car. The car is in good condition, has only ever had one lady owner and has 50,000 miles on the clock. The mechanic even commented on these facts. The only other issue with the car was last summer when an exhaust gas warning lamp sensor had to be replaced as it kept coming on. The mechanic has re-booked in the car for a full diagnostic/strip-down next week so I'm left wondering all weekend what I'll hear back from that. I know I have only limited information but any ideas regarding whether this is common and what course of action to take if I'm faced with a big bill for replacements?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Blocked particle filter perhaps?

Vw 2 year warranty is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Most common would be the DPF probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Andreafar

Sorry my mistake the warning lamp that was on going to the service was engine management light...sorry dealing with total mechanical novice here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Andreafar wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake the warning lamp that was on going to the service was engine management light...sorry dealing with total mechanical novice here!

A neighbour of mine has that same car and the engine light would not go off even though it has been back to vw countless times. They said it was a software problem so maybe a call to them might be of no harm.

I am very skeptical of your mechanic btw saying it could be one of three things...

Thanks for replies everyone!
    I also know of someone with the same car and the dash is regularly illuminated by one or two warning lamps at any given time apparently.
    All I know is the guy is head mechanic in VW garage and family have dealt with him before but I totally take your point Corkie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

A head mechanic in a VW garage should be able to tell you exactly what the problem is and what's required to repair it.

A head mechanic in a VW garage should be able to tell you exactly what the problem is and what's required to repair it.

You'd think that but he said it would require a strip down (I think those were his words) and I wouldn't have car for weekend so better to re-book for next available slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You'd think that but he said it would require a strip down (I think those were his words) and I wouldn't have car for weekend so better to re-book for next available slot

Second opinion IMO.

Second opinion IMO.

Thanks for the advice, have a few days to decide what to do before it's due to return to garage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Has the car gone into limp mode at all, ie low on power?

• Advertisement

No, it did once last summer when a faulty sensor was replaced but not since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 candyplanner

My 2009 VW Golf 2.0 tdi has displayed a warning lamp for past week and was due a service yesterday so mechanic was to look into it. I get a call an hour later to say the warning lamp (engine management light) can't be cleared and it may be one of three things or even two or all three of the these things that need to be replaced. One item would cost over 100 euro, the other over 300 euro and the last, the only one I can recall the name of, the turbo, over 800 euro. That's not counting the labour! The car is out of warranty just over a year and basically I'm wondering if a turbo should need to be replaced already on such a relatively new car. The car is in good condition, has only ever had one lady owner and has 50,000 miles on the clock. The mechanic even commented on these facts. The only other issue with the car was last summer when an exhaust gas warning lamp sensor had to be replaced as it kept coming on. The mechanic has re-booked in the car for a full diagnostic/strip-down next week so I'm left wondering all weekend what I'll hear back from that. I know I have only limited information but any ideas regarding whether this is common and what course of action to take if I'm faced with a big bill for replacements?

Hi ,

this same thing happened me , 09 TDI also , warning light kept coming on , brought it back to mechanic , all fine , then one day out of the blue , my engine blew in peices , and like you my car is just out of the warranty and nobody can give me any explanination as to what exactly happened and no one will take responsibility . I have been doing a little research as there may indeed be a fault with golf and passat 09 TDI engines ??? could that be right

Advertisement