Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homeland [Showtime - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 06-01-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Damian-Lewis-Homeland-1027293.aspx

Band of Brothers star Damian Lewis will star opposite Claire Danes in Showtime's new drama pilot Homeland, the network announced Tuesday.
    Based on Gideon Raff's Israeli series Hatufim (Prisoners of War), Homeland revolves around U.S. Marine Sergeant Scott Brody (Lewis), who is found 10 years after going missing during the invasion of Baghdad.
    Danes will play Carrie Anderson, a driven CIA case officer who handles threats to homeland security from the Middle East. As previously announced Mandy Patinkin will play Carrie's boss and mentor, Saul.
    Also joining the series are Laura Fraser as Jessica, Brody's wife, and Diego Klattenhoff who will play Mike Faber, a Marine colonel and Brody's best friend who has become close with Jessica over the years that Brody has been MIA.
    Homeland, which comes from 24 executive producers Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa, begins production this month.

Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin are great in any show but Claire Danes as a CIA agent :rolleyes::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

An adult thriller on Showtime.... has the potential to be great.

Superb cast too....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mandy Patinkin is unrecognizable there..

.. looking forward to it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That is a bad photoshop...

But Mandy Patinkin is in it so I'll probably watch it.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    That is a bad photoshop...
    Hold the phone..

.. so they're not in what looks like a dank basement with an oversized and oversatured American flag flying majestically behind them as they walk towards the camera..

.. get the hell outta town!

• Advertisement

I wonder will Mandy Patinkin stick this one out he does like to leave after one or two seasons :p

Danes was great in the Temple Grandin movie but I'm still on the fence over her as a CIA agent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Basq wrote: »
    Hold the phone..

.. so they're not in what looks like a dank basement with an oversized and oversatured American flag flying majestically behind them as they walk towards the camera..

.. get the hell outta town!

Sorry to break it to you bro... But i'd imagine they are in front of, what I'd imagine to be, some sort of Green Screen.

I mean if they are going to lie to you from the beginning maybe the whole story ain't true?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so what is it about?

Doesn't look like my cup of tea to be honest..

• Advertisement

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a322483/morena-baccarin-joins-homeland-cast.html

Morena Baccarin has joined the cast of upcoming Showtime drama series Homeland.
    The project will star Claire Danes as Carrie Anderson, a CIA officer who suspects that an Iraq war veteran (Damian Lewis) is involved in an al-Qaida plot.
    Showtime has now confirmed that former V star Baccarin will play Jessica Brody, the wife of Lewis's Sgt. Nick Brody. She will replace Scottish actress Laura Fraser, who played the role in the original Homeland pilot.
    Baccarin played alien queen Anna on the recently-axed V, and previously starred on Fox's Firefly.
    She also made a recent guest appearance on The Mentalist and has featured in episodes of Medium, Numb3rs and How I Met Your Mother.
    Homeland has been written by 24's Howard Gordon, Alex Gansa and Gideon Raff, and will also star Mandy Patinkin and David Harewood.

Claire Danes and Damian Lewis's much-anticipated Showtime political thriller Homeland will air on Channel 4.

Loosely based on Gideon Raff's Israeli television series Prisoners of War, it centres on a US soldier (Lewis) taken prisoner in Iraq in 2003.

Danes plays CIA officer Carrie Anderson, who is convinced that the soldiers' return is set up and that the new national hero is working with Al-Qaeda to launch an attack on US soil.

Mandy Patinkin (Criminal Minds) and David Harewood (Blood Diamond) will also star.

Channel 4's chief creative officer Jay Hunt described Homeland as a "compelling contemporary thriller".

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a330353/claire-danes-political-thriller-homeland-to-air-on-channel-4.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Doesn't look like my cup of tea to be honest..

Same here, even the new trailer dosen't sell it for me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Based on that trailer, I think it looks terrific. A great cast, a great premise (who doesn't love a good conspiracy?) and looks like some meaty drama.

Reminds me a little bit of Rubicon in tone, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Pilot has leaked online.

Might give it a look tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Just watched the pilot there, have to say I really enjoyed it. Defin something I could see myself week in, week out. Added to my viewing list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, I've watched a couple of other pilots for new shows like Ringer and New Girl and this has by far been the best yet, reminds me a bit of an older Showtime show, Sleeper Cell (which I really enjoyed). Really looking forward to this starting up on a weekly basis now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some initial thoughts. I know the thread title includes spoilers, but I'll cover the comments below in case anyone is waiting until October.

This could be good, hopefully some decent drama to get your teeth into.
    Hopefully the more home based stuff with the likes of the lonely wife sleeping with the best buddy, etc won't be dwelled on for too long, but I'll let it go for the moment.

Danes and Lewis (Brody) are both on edge. Hopefully it will be interesting to see how their respective paranoid (?) tendencies flare up in the episodes to come. She's clearly got a strong work ethic (yet there's probably something more to it) and is probably a very effective agent. Probably a bit of a loner amongst her peers...not sure how much outside contracting the CIA does with private companies as depicted here with the guy from The Shield. As for her mental illness, again this interesting imo, and doesn't feel thrown in there an attempt to add depth for the sake of it. A relapse is quite possible and no doubt there'll be a trigger or two floating around if there aren't already. Think her relationship with Mandy Patinkin will make for some good screen time. What was it that she's supposed to have screwed up in Iraq, that bit at the prison? Is this the 'international incident'?

I don't think the writers suggested too much one way or another re Brody's possible intentions, early days, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Very strong trailer, looking forward to this though disappointed it doesn't start until October

The whole lonely wife believing her husband is dead so hooks up with family friend has been done many times before, doesn't add a lot to the story.

Ended on a strong note with the coded signals. I'll looking forward to seeing how this follows.

Someone mentioned Rubicon, this seems to be far less of a slow burner. We are straight into action already
    What was it that she's supposed to have screwed up in Iraq, that bit at the prison? Is this the 'international incident'?

Yes, she is a CIA agent who bribed her way into the prison, got captured and the diplomats would have to bail her out. Definitely an international incident

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks.

Do you reckon Lewis will be the bad guy or will he be some sort of triple crossing super agent who'll prevent an attack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Best pilot I have seen in ages. Gripping, well acted, great story and moved at a good pace. Little worried about how things will play out when the scope of the show narrows from the opening barrage of information but I can't wait to see more.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yea watched the pilot last night and enjoyed it. Will definitely keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Watched the pilot there, very good premise for a show. Two very interesting lead characters. Think the wife and best friend is very cliched, and hoping that it does not take away from the story. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Kicks off tonight on Showtime, i avoided the screener as i wanted HD, will you tune in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Thanks.

Do you reckon Lewis will be the bad guy or will he be some sort of triple crossing super agent who'll prevent an attack?

i'm going with this

Watched this last night and really liked it actually..

.. was tired but kept me watching and enthralled the whole way through (something not many pilots this year has managed).

Thumbs up from me!

EDIT: The story in the OP says:
    Also joining the series are Laura Fraser as Jessica, Brody's wife, and Diego Klattenhoff who will play Mike Faber, a Marine colonel and Brody's best friend who has become close with Jessica over the years that Brody has been MIA.

Morena Baccarin (Inara from 'Firefly' / 'Serenity') was in the pilot I watched.. so Laura Fraser must have been given the boot!

Watched this last night and really liked it actually..

.. was tired but kept me watching and enthralled the whole way through (something not many pilots this year has managed).

Thumbs up from me!

EDIT: The story in the OP says:

Morena Baccarin (Inara from 'Firefly' / 'Serenity') was in the pilot I watched.. so Laura Fraser must have been given the boot!

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a322483/morena-baccarin-joins-homeland-cast.html

Yes Laura was replaced

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yeah, spotted your news story above soon after I posted alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I doubt many are complaing, Morena Baccarins boobies YAY

Now the show im also hoping they dont dwell on the wife buddy relationship too much but chances are its gonna be pushed by the studio to keep certain demographics interested.
    I dunno how long this thing can actually last with as slow a pace of episodes as its looking like it will have to be but im gonna keep watching

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Good episode and will definitely be following it. Reminded me a little of Rubicon. Although I think this episode gave away more information in one episode than the entire series of Rubicon.

God I miss Rubicon :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement