Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much time does a garage have to fix my car.

Options
  • 04-08-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

I recently bought an 01 Volvo V70 geartronic gearbox. I bought the car with a 3 month engine & gearbox warrenty.

After i had it one week, the gearbox developed a problem. When you move your foot from brake to drive the car slams into motion. The garage has had the car for 3 weeks now and to the best of the kinoweldge nothing has actually been touched.

My question is how long is reasonable to get the car fixed and returned to me. I can understand they are trying to explore all less costly options than a gearbox replacement but i am without a car and just want mine back.

What are my rights.

Thanks a mill

Phil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules here, Phil. But you've given them 3 weeks already. Ring them first thing in the morning and give them a deadline of next Monday morning (if you can, email them straight after with the same details). Demand that if the car isn't fixed by your deadline, you get your money back in full. If they mess you about and haven't got it fixed by your deadline and refuse to give your money back, contact a solicitor. I presume the car cost you more than €2k, so the small claims court is no good here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are they providing a replacement car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 phil_w

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think there are any hard and fast rules here, Phil. But you've given them 3 weeks already. Ring them first thing in the morning and give them a deadline of next Monday morning (if you can, email them straight after with the same details). Demand that if the car isn't fixed by your deadline, you get your money back in full. If they mess you about and haven't got it fixed by your deadline and refuse to give your money back, contact a solicitor. I presume the car cost you more than €2k, so the small claims court is no good here.
    I agree. a friend of mine is a solicitorhowever i didnt know if i was being impatient. I will give them a deadline and see how that plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 phil_w

Are they providing a replacement car?
    They are not providing a car? To be honest i have access to a car so im not to bothered by that. but i do want mine back lol!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

phil_w wrote: »
    They are not providing a car? To be honest i have access to a car so im not to bothered by that. but i do want mine back lol!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't leave my car in a garage more than a day without a replacement car. Last time I got mine serviced they collected it from my work place, dropped out a replacement car, dropped it back when the job was done and collected the replacement car.

I would agree with Unkel, ring them and give them a deadline, and do follow up with a written (at least email) notification.

It's covered under the warranty they gave, it should take them around 2 days to get the parts if they are not in stock, and maybe half a day to fix. 3 weeks, they are up to no good and are messing you around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

phil_w wrote: »
    Hi All,

I recently bought an 01 Volvo V70 geartronic gearbox. I bought the car with a 3 month engine & gearbox warrenty.

After i had it one week, the gearbox developed a problem. When you move your foot from brake to drive the car slams into motion. The garage has had the car for 3 weeks now and to the best of the kinoweldge nothing has actually been touched.

I'm confused. When I move my foot from brake to drive in slams into motion as I've told it too

Is this an auto car? Every auto car creeps forward when you remove your foot from the brake, or will hold on hills, due to the torque converter.

My question is how long is reasonable to get the car fixed and returned to me. I can understand they are trying to explore all less costly options than a gearbox replacement but i am without a car and just want mine back.

What are my rights.

Thanks a mill

Phil

Have you contacted them in the last 3 weeks to ask what the delay is? If not then you need contact them first and not the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gazfish

I know this is an old post but just for anyone else that has problems with the Volvo geartronic, this is my experience and solutions that worked for me.

1) Volvo had the great idea of having the gearbox go into neutral when being held on the brake for about 20 seconds to save fuel and reduce vibration. Drivers should take their foot off the brake and then wait for it to re-engage before touching the throttle peddle. Generally people don't and eventually it kills the gearbox. There is a gearbox software update which removes the neutral on stop "feature" which main dealers can apply. I had this done and the car stays in gear unless I select neutral.
    2) Volvo suggests the transmission fluid is there for the life of the car, this is crap and it needs a flush and to be replaced every 50k miles at least to extend the life of the gearbox.
    3) There is a piston cover which is easy to access and replace and this fails causing the gearbox to flare (go neutral) when going into and out of third gear. This part costs €16 + VAT and I can well believe gearboxes are being replaced before this is checked.

The gearboxes are Japanese and generally reliable, most of the issues seem to originate from how volvo have applied the software and servicing.
    Definitely read this before being talked into a new gearbox by volvo http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/driveline.htm

Hope this saves someone a few thousand euro.

Advertisement