Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who dislike/hate animals

• 31-07-2011 8:26pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the last 2 weeks, I seem to have been speaking to a lot of people who identify themselves as "animal-haters" or as people who "just don't like animals" and I found myself rather baffled to be honest. Of course everyone has different likes and dislikes, but I really just don't understand how people can, on the whole, not like any animals at all. I'm not talking about the kind of scum who would be cruel or torture animals, I'm referring to perfectly normal people who just can't stand to be near any living creature that isn't a human. It's simply not an attitude I can understand at all, considering all animals are so very different from each other. It just strikes me as very odd.

Anyway, considering the amount of people I've been speaking to recently who dislike animals, I'm curious to see what posters here usually have to say in return. How do you react to people who identify themselves in this way? Usually I'll just nod politely and not say very much at all, but I can't help but dislike the person for it a little bit. Do you let it colour your opinion of the other person at all or do you just forget about it entirely?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah I work in the Veterinary industry so when I say what I do for a living I sometimes get people like that. It does baffle me because I'm such an animal lover but each to their own...I don't trust people that don't like animals though, there has to be something wrong with them! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I genuinely don't know if I know anyone who dislikes animals.
    Maybe I have, but they haven't voiced it. Everyone I know has/ had a pet and likes some form of animal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

*shrug* I can understand why people wouldn't necessarily want a pet, because they can be a lot of work and aren't for everyone. That said, how people can "not like animals" in general is just so baffling. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ok.
    I would be indifferent to animals,i have had some lovely dogs and 2 cats,looked after them very well but when they died or in one instant killed by a car,I was sad but not for very long.Don't equate them to humans what so ever and don't understand people who do.

realies wrote: »
    Ok.
    I would be indifferent to animals,i have had some lovely dogs and 2 cats,looked after them very well but when they died or in one instant killed by a car,I was sad but not for very long.Don't equate them to humans what so ever and don't understand people who do.

That's not quite the same though. The attitude of about 4 people I spoke to in the last 2 weeks or so (seperately, no relation to each other) was that they can't stand any animal of any type for any length of time at all. That's the attitude I don't get. I can understand indifference to an extent, but actual dislike or hatred of all animals? :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ok I don't qualify as I don't hate any animal. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

as a dairy farmer i have alot of time for animals , the only animal i hate is dogs as my daughter was mauled by one last year... she got 12 stitches on her face- just missing her eyeball and further stitches on her shoulder.... to see an animal doing that to a child is absolutely horrific

whelan1 wrote: »
    as a dairy farmer i have alot of time for animals , the only animal i hate is dogs as my daughter was mauled by one last year... she got 12 stitches on her face- just missing her eyeball and further stitches on her shoulder.... to see an animal doing that to a child is absolutely horrific

It's easy to understand that position with the experience you had. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she's doing well now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,391 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sorry to hear about that. What breed of dog was it ? I have had dogs all my life, collies, terriers, King Charles spaniels, setters and none of them has ever bitten anyone t.g. Would hate to see a dog bite anyone never mind a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My grandmother (and everyones no doubt:p) used to say that you can't trust someone who doesn't like animals. I don't get people who don't like animals, it makes no sense. I'm not overly fond of children but I wouldn't say I hate them, I've had conversations with people and how much they hate cats, it makes me so sad because there are SO MANY of these people; they are fine with dogs but HATE cats???

I think the reasoning is different for each individual (obviously) One woman I know who doesn't like animals the reason is, she is unbelievable self centered and hates the idea of anything being dependent on her, or that heaven forbid she's put their needs ahead of her own.(this woman has children, god help them) Another guy who really doesn't like cats its because they aren't needy enough, too independent for him.:(

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about that. What breed of dog was it ? I have had dogs all my life, collies, terriers, King Charles spaniels, setters and none of them has ever bitten anyone t.g. Would hate to see a dog bite anyone never mind a child.
    was a lassie type dog , he had her on the ground in an instant luckily my husband was beside her to get the dog off her , and no she did nothing to aggravate the dog it was a random attack ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'l be honest and say that if someone tells me they hate animals (You know the type that when you tell them about your dog being in the house they start going on about all the germs and the hairs getting everywhere and about how unhygenic they are, the same kind of type that would have heart failure at the thoughts of animals around babies and children :rolleyes:) I don't trust them. I really cannot understand how someone couldn't like animals. I understand the type that just wouldn't appreciate pets but at the same time can understand how someone else has pets, it's just the ewww dogs they maul babies and ugh cats they sh*t everywhere and should all be shot kind of people.

I work with a girl who doesn't like cats, fair enough I love cats but am respectful of her opinion, she thinks there dirty and evil (:confused:) but says she would never go out to hurt one.
    Anyways at work one day and this old lady comes into me and starts ranting about how nobody looks out for animals anymore and how my boss was very rude and obviously doesn't like animals. Turns out she heard frantic meowing in the big clothes bin on our forecourt and thought a cat had been thrown in and when she asked could someone open it (we don't even have a key) nobody would give her one and everyone kept dismissing her and basically telling her to forget about it. I can understand how this lady was quite upset, if I had been working that day I would have dropped everything and investigated the noise. Turns out it was a kitten wedged in under the bin, but it managed to get itself out on it's own and run into out big shed (where it hid for a few days much to the disapproval of the boss :D).
    Was telling this story to said cat-disliker I work with and her opinion was 'sure how could you go and touch the cat to get it out when were working with food' and she could see absolutely nothing wrong with this. :confused: She would be willing it leave a cat in distress because it would be unhygenic to go near it. :confused: Some of our human customers I absolutely hate going near because they smell so bad and are so dirty they leave a lingering smell in the shop afterwards yet the cat is the one that's dirty. :confused:

The cat was eventually caught by the way and one of the guys brought it home to his wife. And it was well fed with fresh meats while it was here much to the dislike of others! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Whelan - was that attack covered by a paper or somthing? It sounds very familiar. Maybe you had a thread here? It just jogged a memory for me. How is she now? Is she scarred or anything? And is she terrified of dogs now?

I know exactly the type the OP means, and while I understand people disliking, dogs, or cats, or fish etc for a reason, a blanket "I don't like animals" really baffles me. I mean really? Out of all the species in all the world you don't like any of them?

I used to babysit a girl whose mother would tell her that dogs would come and get her if she was bold. :( I used to spend the evening telling her how nice the dogs were. If she heard a barking dog she'd start screaming "But I've been GOOD, please tell them I've been good". Heartbreaking. What sort of parent would purposefully instill such fear. :mad:

In saying that I'm not a people person, at all. Spending time with a big crowd of people is not something I would look forward to, yet there are people who just love that sort of social situation. Maybe it's the same thing in reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

people who "just don't like animals" and I found myself rather baffled to be honest. Of course everyone has different likes and dislikes, but I really just don't understand how people can, on the whole, not like any animals at all. I'm not talking about the kind of scum who would be cruel or torture animals

yeah, I don't understand it myself. but one old friend I used to know hated dogs because they left hair on his trousers when he visited.

myself personally... I was 3 years old and I was given a puppy collie and I had the best time of my life with this little friend and when she died from old age in my late teens the family was in a really bad way including myself. the thing is you have to understand the mentality of a dog and only then will you bond with this animal. sick p*icks out there that harm the mans best friend should just blow their heads off with a colt 45 (yes it's a good gun) and it's to0 good to use on you.

the animals out there are sane but certain humans are insane in a big way. so the animal imo has more intelligence. End of my waffle. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I can understand people's dislike of certain animals. But all ? That is a tad odd.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I meet way too many people who say they hate cats, and they start off giving out about them (i usually have the dog with me so they assume I'm just a dog lover), I then mention the four cats living on my bed and they cant seem to understand it. I expecially hate when they say that they're dirty? I usually counter that with: "How so? I mean, you had to be trained not to **** your own pants, a cat instinctively knows where the toilet is. Who exactly is the unhygienic species here?" That dumbfounds most:D

I dont think I've ever met anyone who hates all animals though. A lot of people dont get the love of all animals either though. They especially dont understand that I keep reptiles and rodents and most shudder when its mentioned.

I really dont like the parents who instill fear of dogs into their kids though. Teach them proper manners around the dog of course, but not to be terrified of them. Its not like they're never going to meet a dog out there in the real world at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 _mocha_

I think when people don't like any animals at all, its usually out of ignorance. Not ignorance as in they're rude, but ignorance as in they don't know the feeling of waking up to a furry bundle on their beds.

Anyone who truly makes an effort with animals, builds up a bond and understanding, and develops love for the animal. Generally, people who hate animals who own an animal just don't make the effort.

People who don't have animals who hate them just don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 _mocha_

Shanao wrote: »
    I meet way too many people who say they hate cats, and they start off giving out about them (i usually have the dog with me so they assume I'm just a dog lover), I then mention the four cats living on my bed and they cant seem to understand it. I expecially hate when they say that they're dirty? I usually counter that with: "How so? I mean, you had to be trained not to **** your own pants, a cat instinctively knows where the toilet is. Who exactly is the unhygienic species here?" That dumbfounds most:D

I have to say, I totally agree. I was one of those people who hated cats (out of having no experience with them), and found them eerie. I'd freak out if one was near me! But that was until I adopted the cat from next door who had nowhere else to go after my neighbours moved house and left her behind. (Grr.)

Now, we've built up such a bond. She sleeps with me at night, pads around after me everywhere I go, purrs when I look at her, if I close a door behind me she scratches at it until I leave her in, and she's basically a bundle of love. :D

When you make an effort with an animal, so much love and affection is open to you! Now people who have no experience with cats, yet claim they hate them, really irritate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,391 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like cats but much prefer dogs. Cats are users. They are all over you until they get what they want and then they feck off. A dog is far more faithful imo. I have both may i say ( and a rabbit who sleeps with the dogs).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have friends like this. One of them never had a pet as a child and would have zero interest in any animal. She talks about her kids and I talk about my dog and she literally ignores what I'm saying!! Grr.

Her sister is the same and her two eldest children fear dogs for no reason other that they have never had any experience with them.

My OHs cousin actually dislikes dogs, even though he grew up with one at home. He hisses at our dog to leave him alone, and all our girl wants to do is be friendly towards him. He let a sneaky kick at her the last time he was here. Hence that was the last time he was in our house. It's our dogs house as well and if he can't respect her then he isn't welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

don't forget the mental problems a lot of people out there have against their own kids so just imagine what they would do with a pet.

lets buy a puppy dog for the kids for christmas and the kid gets pissed off having to clean up after this pet and the father/mother hop in a car and drive 12 miles out and leave the dog there as it is not a pup anymore, I was shocked when i heard how many people buy pups and 3 months later they dump the dog many miles from their home. I have actually seen kids of the age of 8 years old and they have alot more intelligence than their parents and that is frightning. no respect for anything some of these co*ksuckers. let us hope the next generation have more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

I have been on both sides :) I had a great fear of dogs since I was bitten twice when I was child. My Mom never had a pet and didn't want dogs in the house. I started watching Dog Whisperer and began to see a different side to animals. They weren't all mindless and viscous. They didn't bark to warn me they were gonna bite, they were communicating.

My girlfriend had wanted a dog for ages but couldn't in our own home because her mother minded kids. So when we moved in, we got a dog. Instantly driving home with the dog in the back seat, I was in love :). Now when I see great danes and rottweilers I'm rubbing them and saying how beautiful they are.

In answer to the original thread I understand why people hate them, they have their reasons and if it wasn't for circumstance I would be part of that brigade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As a farmer you will know that cattle can be dangerous & people, including farmers, have been killed by them. I was badly bitten as a child & nearly lost an eye but I never blamed the dog. I have since had many dogs over the years & never a problem.

The thing that I find so strange about Ireland is that you can have two people who were born in the same village, went to the same schools, & live similar lives. One adores their dog, it lives in the house whereas the other keeps a dog permanently outdoors on a 6 ft chain with just a bare kennel. I know of a couple who refuse to have their male cat neutered or to feed it (it has to catch "mice") - they are both primary school teachers.

What is so strange is that these people can treat animals in this way without any social consequences. Even the animal lovers won't speak out. Their is no social stigma to treating an animal badly.

A friend & I were joking about internet dating. We were discussing about which characteristics would be non negotiable. A love of animals was a clear winner !

Oh & not only would I be wary of someone who had any dislike of animals but my dogs can spot these people miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

discodog the womans kid was attacked by a dog not q cow, i dont think anyone could blame her for feeling like that, if it was my kid the dog would have have been shot.

dont know anyone who hates animals i dont think, who doesn't like animals???

my daughter is 7 , she was attacked in june 2010... scars are fading well , but she had terrible nightmares for a long time , has only moved back to her bed from our room about 6 weeks ago... then our friends daughter was attacked about 3 weeks ago , she is only 4 had to get plastic surgery on her face , she was attacked by a collie....we had been making progress with dd in that she would pet a puppy etc but now we are back to squre 1 with her fear of dogs... to all those parents who bring their dogs to the school when you are collecting your darlings , you have no idea the fear this can cause a child, please think before you block the exits with your dogs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

We always had a house full of hoppy, bouncy things when I was a kid - rabbits, guineas, chinchillas, degus. A lot more people seem to be more afraid of smallies than cats or dogs. I always found it great entertainment when someone who was afraid of them came into the house, especially because generally there were smallies running loose all over the place. A room full of fluffy, bouncy chinchillas with a big strong man sitting petrified and shaking on the couch with one landing beside him occasionally is indeed a sight to behold. :D

<ETA> When I was a kid we had an extremely feral, extremely mad at the world cat hanging around. It liked to lay in wait for my nan and would leap out of bushes hissing and clawing at her, it got her in the face a few times. As a result I've never really been a cat person, well . . . until now!

The sad thing is that children are not taught how to relate to dogs - it should be in the primary curriculum. A totally random dog attack is incredibly rare but any fear of dogs is made far worse by the actions of thousands of irresponsible owners. My neighbours children were scared of dogs & now they love playing with my three. They enjoyed learning dog language. Now if they have friends around they will play the part of teacher & love telling their friends about my dogs.

It was very encouraging to see a 10 year old explaining to a friend how to play with my youngster & how to read his language. The dogs happily tolerated the child demonstrating his hackles, by brushing his coat the wrong way & a snarl by pulling back his lips ! Needless to say that I was very close by.

We always had a house full of hoppy, bouncy things when I was a kid - rabbits, guineas, chinchillas, degus. A lot more people seem to be more afraid of smallies than cats or dogs. I always found it great entertainment when someone who was afraid of them came into the house, especially because generally there were smallies running loose all over the place. A room full of fluffy, bouncy chinchillas with a big strong man sitting petrified and shaking on the couch with one landing beside him occasionally is indeed a sight to behold. :D

Gosh you could be my sister :p My house was exactly the same !

But my friend had a big Iguana that roamed around their house - he was very tame. One day they had a visit from the Tax Inspector & they sat him in the lounge with a cup of tea whilst they got the paperwork. The poor chap turned around to see the Iguana stretched out on a curtain pole - his favourite perch. Apparently the man screamed out loud, dropped his tea & ran out of the house. My friend's dad always reckoned that they were overcharged by the taxman for years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Discodog wrote: »
    The sad thing is that children are not taught how to relate to dogs - it should be in the primary curriculum. A totally random dog attack is incredibly rare but any fear of dogs is made far worse by the actions of thousands of irresponsible owners. My neighbours children were scared of dogs & now they love playing with my three. They enjoyed learning dog language. Now if they have friends around they will play the part of teacher & love telling their friends about my dogs.

It was very encouraging to see a 10 year old explaining to a friend how to play with my youngster & how to read his language. The dogs happily tolerated the child demonstrating his hackles, by brushing his coat the wrong way & a snarl by pulling back his lips ! Needless to say that I was very close by.

It is shocking the number of people that send their kids to "say hello" to my dogs without asking if its ok, my dogs are friendly and love kids, but random kids running over to them and grabbing them are not ok by me. I like to tell my dogs to be calm and say hello when I say.

I don't know anyone that hates all animals, but I know many that are indifferent, I also have a neighbour that tells her kids my dogs will come out and get them if they don't do as she says, as a result the youngest (2YRS OLD)came after me with a brush one day to hit the dogs, because his mother told him they were going to get him. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I can understand people who dont particularly care for animals. My mother was never a great animal lover, shes a bit apprehensive about my GSD even though shes the most gentle dog you could meet. People who hate animals are a different story though surely? I dont think I know anyone like that but if I did it would dent my trust in them immediately.

People vs animals? No question who I trust more.

Advertisement