Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog Poo

• 24-07-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

What do you do to dispose of your pets poo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Into the brown bin with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

in the grey bin in nappy bags

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

kylith wrote: »
    Into the brown bin with it!

You can't put it in the brown bin :confused: can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

bag it and chuck it in the ordinary bin. i like the look of that dog toilet though seems much more green!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two poop very little in my garden, when they do I just lift the cover for the drain and chuck it in, usually followed by a bucket of whatever I mopped the floors with. Couple of my neighbours just powerhose it down the drain.
    My two mostly poop when out on walks, I use nappy bags or poop bags, pick it up and chuck it in my bin, or any bin on the street nearby.

Im guessing but I think so far everyone who has posted have smaller dogs lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That 'Dog Loo' looks interesting.
    We have a container out the back, with a big bag in it, we bag the dog poo in nappy bags and put it into the container. When we're putting out the bins every fortnight we put the large bag into the black bin.

Justask wrote: »
    You can't put it in the brown bin :confused: can you?
    *Googles* it says you can't put dog or cat litter in, but whether that's a euphamism or they actually mean the stuff for litter trays I don't know.

I couldn't put it in the black bin, that only goes out about 4 times a year the smell of poo would be unbelievable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kylith wrote: »
    *Googles* it says you can't put dog or cat litter in, but whether that's a euphamism or they actually mean the stuff for litter trays I don't know.

It's not an old wives' tale as far as I know! Though I can see your problem with the irregular bin collections, it's hard to know what your alternative is.
    My understanding of why dog and cat (i.e. carnivore) poop shouldn't go into the compost/brown bin is because the compoments of carnivore poop are not good for compost, whilst non-carnivores have plenty of compostable ingredients still available. But the main problem is worm eggs: if they go into the compost, they're going to end up being spread into the soil again somewhere, and they will re-infect humans and other animals.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    It's not an old wives' tale as far as I know! Though I can see your problem with the irregular bin collections, it's hard to know what your alternative is.
    My understanding of why dog and cat (i.e. carnivore) poop shouldn't go into the compost/brown bin is because the compoments of carnivore poop are not good for compost, whilst non-carnivores have plenty of compostable ingredients still available. But the main problem is worm eggs: if they go into the compost, they're going to end up being spread into the soil again somewhere, and they will re-infect humans and other animals.
    I thought that the temperature of industrial compost bins was high enough to kill stuff like that off, and that's why you can put in cooked and raw meat.

I think that rumour did the rounds, but I think it was shown that it's not a reliable way of killing eggs... I think!
    Another problem with it was that anti-parasite chemicals, antibiotics, or residues of other medications being given to dogs/cats could make it's way into the environment via the soil from compost containing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Carnivores also would have pathogenic bacteria in their guts so again not a good idea for composts. I had a big discussion about composting dog poo with an expert and while they had done no studies into the matter they reckoned you could compost the waste as long as the compost created was used for flowers but not vegetables. The bin collectors are normally very clear that dog/cat poo can't go into a brown bin.

Mine all goes in the black bin but not in a bag so it can break down quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Straight into the brown bin... Have had a thought recently though to lift the shore out the back garden and drop them straight in!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

When cleaning the back gardn up I open the manhole cover and put it in there flushed down with the hose.

My dog refuses to poo when shes out so its always down the drain with it.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    When cleaning the back gardn up I open the manhole cover and put it in there flushed down with the hose.

My dog refuses to poo when shes out so its always down the drain with it.
    have the same problem well its not really a problem he is to posh to shizzle outside of the backgarden:confused:

theparish wrote: »
    #
    is there anywhere you can get them now besides online?? cool idea

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

pokertalk wrote: »
    #

Just remembered and forgot to mention that I have a hearthy Labrador whose youknow-whats are a bit big.The plastic unit filled up rather quickly and the waste did not break down after the flushing with water as per instructions.I cut out the bottom and now it works fine.It might suit smaller breeds better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

pokertalk wrote: »
    #

If you can wait a few months, aldi will have them again

Tee hee!:D
    Isn't it funny how animally people can converse comprehensively and with great passion about our pets' bowel movements?
    I don't know any other group of people who share a common interest that can talk so much about poo!
    :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I don't know any other group of people who share a common interest that can talk so much about poo!

So true..... and a little sad!!

A friend of mine has recently bought this http://www.dogpoowormery.com/ I'm waiting to hear how she gets on because poo from 6 dogs would fill one of those little dog toilets really quickly :D

Isn't it funny how animally people can converse comprehensively and with great passion about our pets' bowel movements?

LMAO I know its great isnt it... Wonder do they mind us talking about their poo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Down the toilet, or if there is a lot the into a plastic bag and into brown or black bin which ever is being collected first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Scooped up and down the loo. I have slabs out the back so there is never anything else on the shovel stones, grass, muck etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Parents of young kids?

But yes it's gas. A sign of very mature people I think :pac:

Into the regular bin it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

This discussion has thrown up some interesting facts. My mum always said you shouldn't flush dog poo down the toilet, so I've never done it. However, having just Googled it, it seems that this is actually the best method of dealing with it, and is endorsed by the EPA in the US.

However, we have three Boxers, who generate a fair amount of poo - I'd be flushing the toilet a lot - so I have issues with the amount of water that would use.

It's an interesting one, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My bro's old house had a weird extension/conversion done - rather than remove the old downstairs loo whoever did the building work basically sealed it off from the inside and put a door on the outside facing into the garden - a glass panel door lol... Anyhoos he was minding a dog one time and thought he was great - pick the poo up with a shovel and straight over to the loo to flush away! I didn't realize the genius until we got our own dog!! :pac: Luckily he only poos out the front by the hedge so bagged and put in a flower pot then a bigger bag when the pot fills so it doesn't stink up the bin too much. I used to prefer him going outside eg in the park but they've removed nearly all the bins so you end up carrying the poo around for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We put the dog poo into the nappy bags, usually the biodegradable ones, and into the black bin (for general waste). We put out our bin for collection every two weeks (we are charged based on weight, not on number of collections, so we put it out every time for collection even though most of the time it isn't full) but this is about the limit to the length of time I would let it hang around for. We usually end up bringing home dog poo from walks (due to lack of bins around) so that goes in the black bin too. Our bin company won't allow dog/cat poo or any human related waste (nappies, tampons (wtf?!) etc.) into the brown or green bin. Our black bin gets a good cleaning with Jayes fluid quite a few times in the year (more in the Summer) so it tends not to smell (as much as a bin can't smell!)

We tried flushing it down the toilet but, because we have so many dogs, it ended up with us flushing the toilet ten times per day (and then squirting some bleach down afterwards).

Honey-ec wrote: »
    My mum always said you shouldn't flush dog poo down the toilet, so I've never done it. However, having just Googled it, it seems that this is actually the best method of dealing with it, and is endorsed by the EPA in the US.

Do you know why your mam said not to flush? I asked my vet about this before, and she felt at the time, given the relatively poor standard of sewage treatment in Ireland at that time, that pathogens, worm eggs etc would end up in the water course, to be potentially consumed again by animals and humans, although I'd hope that drinking water treatment would look after this end of things in our mains water! Eww!
    However, many sewage treatment plants have been upgraded now... I wonder are they good enough to eliminate this stuff from the water course? I wonder is that why the US EPA are happy for poop to be disposed of down the loo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When the dogs were still being house trained and so pooed in the house, they were picked up with toilet roll and flushed down the loo but once they were going outside its poo bags and into the black bin!

Advertisement