Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Amprodude wrote: »
    Naughton is pacey and hard to follow for defenders but is headless at times and too often hits terrible wides when Cork need a much needed score. He might be needed next day out though for his pace. If one thing we might have an advantage over KK is our pace. We will test them there but our physcality is where we will lack big time.

I agree,skill wise he is the best player on the panel.But compare him to harndey.

A huge difference,in attuide and not afraid of the rough stuff.Harnedy is only 23,hes third game,but he will handle himself a lot better sunday.

Naughton has always been afraid outside hes comfort zone.He went on trial at Nottingham forest,but was homesick in a month.

Naughton was better than he is now in 2010,yet bar hes usal point per game,didnt hurl a ball after,and was taken off against KK.

Murphy,Delaney,tyrell,hogan or joyce will give him one hard shoulder and that is it end of naughton.

Oh my god,if tommy walsh gets a hold of him.

People think,you need to big men to compete with KK.You dont,but you need agressison,heart,character,b***s of steel to survive,all of which Naughton or cussen dont have.

Take a look at Kk,four of their 6 forwards under 6ft,but it would take a train to knock them.And they would still get up afterwards.

Take seanie mcgrath.Like Naughton,yellow helmet,fast and the ball is glued to the hurley.

But he had agression and could take punishment.In 1999,it was so wet,the ducks woudn't even come out,but Mcgrath took some punisment and in the rain,and got 3 vital points.

Naughton bar the 2006 cameo and the odd game against Tipp and Galway,has been poor for Cork.

What i say may seem harsh,but it is true.
    He would not make the KK intermediate team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Footballers to do the business with the hurlers to come up short despite a strong performance, that's my crystal balls. output What do others think about this weekends games?

What is the weather forecast for early afternoon Sunday?

From met.ie

SUNDAY: A bright start for most places with sunny spells but showers will become widespread by afternoon with some thundery downpours likely in places and local spot flooding. Highest risk is in southern areas and also parts of the north midlands. Afternoon temperatures of 18 to 21 degrees and winds light southeasterly, moderate on southern and eastern coasts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What is the weather forecast for early afternoon Sunday?

Showers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It is better than Killarney,but that would not be hard.I do not think this team would beat Dublin or Mayo though.

I agree with most of that,espiceally sheehan.He is our best half forward.

I hope walsh is a third midfielder,and not an orthodox CF.

You play Club football in Cork,what do make of Barry O Driscoll?Do you think he deserves a panel place?

Sheehan is a very strong, athletic player - the kind of guy you'd want around the engine room. I agree that team wouldn't beat Dublin or Mayo, that said, if you get a system going that works for those players then you would give them a good rattle.

I'm only playing in Cork just over a year and at Premier Intermediate level so I'm afraid I've never taken to the same pitch as O'Driscoll. I know Nemo churn out good players and I've heard he's fairly handy but other than that I don't know too much tbh
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Going back to the football.

I reckon the named team is close to what will start. Its going to be a 3 man midfield surely, I could see Alan O Connor being the defensive hard working of the three with O'Neill and Walsh more offensive.

That gives us more space to run at Galway, could see Sheehan coming out to Half Forward on Goulding's side with Collins moving to Centre Forward, he may even drop back as a kind of 4th Midfielder, where he plays for the Haven.

If there are changes, I reckon it will be most likely Collins and/or O Rourke, Donnacha, Kelly or Kerrigan to come in.

Walsh could well play at CF - he played there for Duhallow earlier this year and was very good at getting in amongst the breaks and carrying forwards. While not the best CF, he's capable of doing a job there and providing an option for kickouts.

Galway tend to work the ball quickly out of defence so Walsh could be up there to press high up.

I think the key to beating a team like Galway, if they play like they did against Armagh is to press very high up the field, the forward line have a huge responsibility here - Kerry waltzed out of their own half far too often and popped it to Cooper who was able to put in quick ball to the space.

Juliet Murphy is back with the Ladies Football.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Juliet Murphy is back with the Ladies Football.

Great news. She might be the difference this year!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Great news. She might be the difference this year!
    Could very well be.I'm suprised but glad she came back so soon.RG15 may be able to shed some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

beeroclock wrote: »
    Footballers to do the business with the hurlers to come up short despite a strong performance, that's my crystal balls. output What do others think about this weekends games?

The more i think about this game the more i think the hurlers will give it their best shot too and reckon it will be a tight game. Still think KK have too much power and would need a horrid day at shooting at the posts for us to have a real chance. My hope is that nothing is guaranteed in sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Youre wrong .

In 2010,Walsh stared and lasted against Kerry,in kerry,Wexford and Dublin and Down.

He went off after 20 minutes,against Kerry in the replay,due to a hamstring.

The only two games he was subbed in ,Limerick in the qualifer,and Roscommon.

He was actually very good against Limerick,but so was Derek Kavanagh.
    As Rebel Girl,said and correctly,so Cork had the tendency to bring on fresh legs,and righty so ,and would bring on Murphy,when it hit the 50 minute mark.

The only game ,he played bad was against Roscomoon,when Mannion had the better of him.

Walsh was in hes first year with Cork and learning.He had a blinder against ,Dublin in the Semifinal,such that AOC was taken off,when Murphy was introduced.

Walsh started and lasted all games in 2011 bar the Down game.

He started in the defeat to mayo and performed as well as he could,considering AOC was well beaten.
    2012 he was not subbed,and against Donegal,he was the better option ,than AOC,who was taken off.

In relation to Donegal,he done okay,certainly no worse than O Connor.

He gave away possesion cheaply at times,by kicking woefully,but still won it.

This game,showed that he is certainly has not the foot passing skills for a CF.

You say he may not end up at 11.I certainly hope so.That is my point,he is not a Centre Forward.

The centre forward role now, requires creativity.To win an all ireland ,you need some one that has that in that role.

Cooper,Kilkenny are the heart beat of Kerry and Dublin's attack,but no way will Walsh do the same for cork.

Walsh was tried at full forward before,and while he can do a spefic job their,Cork with Goulding,O Connor,and Hurley,kerrigan and O Neill next year have better scoring forwards.

Cork are lacking depth at midfield now,but Walsh is our best midfielder,ahead of AOC and O Neill.

What am i wrong about? i said Walsh was subbed off or struggled in midfield in some key games which is true. If he's Corks best midfielder then you are indeed lacking depth.

Remember not all forwards have to be great scorers Mayo for example have shown that.

What am i wrong about? i said Walsh was subbed off or struggled in midfield in some key games which is true. If he's Corks best midfielder then you are indeed lacking depth.

Remember not all forwards have to be great scorers Mayo for example have shown that.

One game,only one,against Roscommon was he subbed over bad form.
    Your point was he was taken off in a few games,due to poor games.And contrary to your beliefs,it was not just the Down game ,it was throughout the season,that made him a top midfielder in 2010.

You said he was a better forward.He is a better midfielder,and always will be.

He may well do a job,against Galway,as a third midfielder,and running down the centre,but against Mayo,or Dublin or Monaghan,he will need a lot more to break down their blanket defences.

For Cork to win an all ireland,a blanket style is necessary ,and to move the ball quick from defence.

A Cf dropping deep that can kick and has the mindset to play fast ball is whats needed.
    I agree in some way,a Cf does not always need to score.He does need to be able to create though.He cant do that.

D'agger made a valid point,that he can forage and wins the breaks.

But we do not need Walsh when O Rourke does that.

Sheehan is a much better fit outside than inside.He is wasted inside.He's appetite for the ball,means Cork should like Kerry and Dublin do,base their game around their CF.If he wants sheehan,inside,Kelly must start.

The game may have evolved,but the old basic ,fundamentals of CF play has not changed greatly.You got to have creativity.In Hurling,you will get away with a forager,not football in the modern game.

Walsh can probably do a job against Galway,but to even reach the final,not to mind win it,he won't do.

Walsh CF is not a Couinhan masterpiece,it is more panic than anything else.
    He did not try this during the league,just at the end of the kerry game,and it worked.
    CC now thinks it's fine.CC had the right idea against Donegal last year,when he put Gould at half back.It failed though as it was never planned ,and Gould was not given enough games to adapt to it.
    It was pure panic.

Nothing is planned with CC.Their gambles half the time.

Cork would be better served with Walsh and Gould at midfield,and Kelly or Sheehan at CF.

A lot of people don't realise Sheehan is very good in the air.He could be used as a third midfielder for Kick outs,as unlike walsh when he gets the ball,he can create things,thats if they want to go with a three man midfield.

Counihan thinks Cork had a problem in the full forward line,hence sheehan now moved in their.We never had that problem.The problem is they never got any ball.You play Sheehan inside,it is imperative you play Kelly at Cf.

With O Rourke,Kelly,and Collins ,Cork have creativity in the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

One game,only one,against Roscommon was he subbed over bad form.
    Your point was he was taken off in a few games,due to poor games.And contrary to your beliefs,it was not just the Down game ,it was throughout the season,that made him a top midfielder in 2010.

You said he was a better forward.He is a better midfielder,and always will be.

I said he looks more like forward than midfield thats my opinion nothing more. Walsh got his high rank from the 2010 AI final i don't think he was that great in the other games if anything Murphy played a bigger part in midfield. (limerick,Roscommon games a case in point)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Moneymaker wrote: »
    As a Dublin fan i'm fearful of the day Cork get a competent management team. The depth of talent and the sheer size and power throughout the side is astonishing. It's quite incredible they've only the 1 All-Ireland to show for it all imo.

Could'nt agree more,amazing that Cork have only managed to win one Ireland in recent years considering their depth of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd agree with that too. If a fairy were to wave a magic wand at me, I'd wish for Counihan to stay with Cork pretty much forever really. (With apologies to all lovers of world peace.) They have been very unlucky with injuries though. Losing Colm O'Neil was a huge blow. I'm not sure where the scores would come from (or enough scores to win the AI) even if they had a more tactically astute manager on the side lines.

What is it with Cork and not being able to deliver? We are supposed to have a depth of talent? I think we are overrated to be fair. I think ive a funny feeling we will lose this game. Might be the only way to get rid of Counihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Galway 0-8 Cork 0-7 at half time

Cork havent scored from play since the 11 min. Simply not good enough and needs to be better. I think if Cork get a goal they could pull away though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If Cork get beat, the only consolation will be that Counihan will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

FT. Cork 1-17 Galway 1-16 ... An awful game of Football from a Cork perspective...

Good news Cork won
    Bad new Counihan still there

• Advertisement

Haunted...This team is going no where under CC.We are going backwards.
    Counihan has not a clue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It would be better for the Cork team had they lost, Conon Counhian doing them no favors at all, Galway threw it away in the last 5 mins, Michael Meehan is one the finest footballers to ever grace the hallowed sod.

Haunted...This team is going no where under CC.We are going backwards.
    Counihan has not a clue.

Yeah we have nothing to worry about next round with Dublin Mayo or Monaghan there. We will be beaten out of park by all of those three

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Galway 0-8 Cork 0-7 at half time
    . I think if Cork get a goal they could pull away though

Well I was kinda right :pac:

Cork looked like a team who were sure they were going to win and got complacent. We have no right to think that and should be just buckling down and playing from the start. When we get desperate we get more direct it seems!

I did think a goal would kill Galway off and when it finally came we got on top.

This won't work against better teams and we will get beaten if its like this again. Counihan doesnt seem to know what to do when things are going wrong and other than the Masterplan of emptying the bench that anyone would do, it looked very poor.

Stinicker wrote: »
    It would be better for the Cork team had they lost, Conon Counhian doing them no favors at all, Galway threw it away in the last 5 mins, Michael Meehan is one the finest footballers to ever grace the hallowed sod.

I agree with you. That performance isnt good enough and CC is a disgrace. Like i said we will be on the exit of the next round anyway going by what we saw there. Cork have good footballers i think but no one to guide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Well there's no fear that they are peaking too early anyway :rolleyes:

First things first,CC Wheter beaten or not is here to stay,til 2014 ,no matter what happened today.

The CC Board like him,and asked and encouraged to take a two year term.Does anyone think,they admit they are wrong,or frown at failure.
    FfS,lets call a spade a spade.These are the same men,that will give Kenneally a second term,possibly another two year term to Ger Fitz,and appointed a selector that was part of the last four years as a minor selector in Donal O Sullivan.

People are deluding themselves if they think he will resign.He doesnt believe in walking away.

The match was a shambles,and Galway who lost a Key man in Cummins,could have beaten Cork.

We will hear rubbish about if we had taken our goal chances.The fact,is like i said during the week ,Galway were weak at the back,and no team in the q final is as defensively weak.

I said it ,Walsh is Not or Never will be a CF.He was brillant driving in from midfield and got a good goal but not in a forward role.

AOC and Pearse O Neill were like oil and water,a terrible combination.

AOC is finished in all honesty.After a brief cameo,he coudnt win any ball,and was completely exposed through the middle.

O Neill was the same.We made Gary O Donnell,look like an all star,complety destroying Walsh and driving at our midfield.Disgraceful,shambolic,inept,clueless management waited 50 minutes to make a change.

I like many,said this was a dissaster waiting to happen,yet our manager had waited 50 minutes.

Sheehan,like i posted, would be wasted inside.Jesus christ,he won us the match when Walsh went to midfievd,and Sheehan acted as a third midfielder.

Yet CC wont start him at midfield or at half forward.The usal fan club,lazy journalists who worship him lack the b**s to question why he was not moved out field for 50 minutes or why the clear mismatch of Canty on Armstrong,and our immobile midfield was allowed on.

And why a fit Kelly didnt start.He was superb when he came on.

Clancy done well as the game moved on,but was clearly exposed as a corner back,until cummins got injured.

Cork as a team dont look like they know what system to play,and its as clear as day,now play like a team that has lost faith in their manager.

Cork are going out next weekend no matter who we meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Dublin v Cork

And i was disgusted,Loughrey our best half back,was taken off,for Kissane.

Wait for it,kissane starts next week ahead of Loughrey.As i said it would,at least the team named started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dublin v Cork

. Thats what ye deserve after using up all ye're luck today.:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement