Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree required for visa

• 16-08-2014 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm going to be heading to Japan to work in January or there about. I'm still at the job application stage.

I've just been told by a school that the copy of my degree needs to be written in English for the visa part. My degree is written in Latin.
    I've worked in Korea before and I know that one of the requirements was that the degree was written in English but it wasn't a problem that it was in Latin that time.

I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered this situation and whether or not they had to get the degree translated?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I've never had a problem anywhere in the world with my degree certificate being in Latin - In fact I've hardly ever even been asked to show my degree certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Long Gone wrote: »
    I've never had a problem anywhere in the world with my degree certificate being in Latin - In fact I've hardly ever even been asked to show my degree certificate.

Thanks. I've never had a problem either but the school said that it had to be in English. I've gotten the English translation posted out from the students records office so I have it in case there is a problem.

Organizing documents for visas is the bane of my existence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would have thought that the official transcripts would have been the most important documents.

osarusan wrote: »
    I would have thought that the official transcripts would have been the most important documents.

Official transcripts?

I haven't heard that that is a requirement. I believe that the company/school only needs your degree to apply for the certificate of eligibility.

Were you required to provide transcripts?

I have some left over from when I was preparing stuff for Korea but they never needed them. Maybe I could still use those ones.

How long ago were you issued your visa?

Thanks. I want to make sure that I have everthing ready and correct because I'm in China at the moment and won't be going home before heading to Japan so I have to get my parents to help collect documents and that can take a long time when they are busy.:o

Official transcripts?

I haven't heard that that is a requirement. I believe that the company/school only needs your degree to apply for the certificate of eligibility.

Were you required to provide transcripts?

I have some left over from when I was preparing stuff for Korea but they never needed them. Maybe I could still use those ones.

How long ago were you issued your visa?

Thanks. I want to make sure that I have everthing ready and correct because I'm in China at the moment and won't be going home before heading to Japan so I have to get my parents to help collect documents and that can take a long time when they are busy.:o

Yeah, I think I had to submit transcripts to the company...that was a while ago though. I got the visa 4 years ago. I will have a look and see what documentation I needed.

Of course, your school might want different things.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I had to submit transcripts to the company...that was a while ago though. I got the visa 4 years ago. I will have a look and see what documentation I needed.

Of course, your school might want different things.

Thanks a million.

I might just get some just in case I need it. I don't think that I'm going to go with the original school that I was talking to and maybe wait it out for something better (they wouldn't guarantee me 2 days off in a row).

I have a definite position in a school in March if I want it in Chiba prefecture (a friend is the head teacher) but I would love to get something actually in Tokyo.

So I just checked, and I did indeed email a scan of my academic transcripts in order to set up the certificate of eligibility. As far as I can see, I didn't even scan or send the actual fancy-looking degree at all - most of the actual important stuff is on the transcripts.

Advertisement