Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kitten smells of... poo?

• 07-08-2011 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

OK, hi there. Our kitten is about 11 weeks old, she is still not certain of us/her surroundings but since last night I have noticed a bad stench emanate from her, at first I thought she had gone to the bathroom by where she was sitting but when I checked there was nothing.

Then tonight I was playing with her and when she came close to me the smell was quite strong and I am almost positive it's off her now, well 95%. We feed her Whiskas Kitten Dry Food and my mother insists on giving her milk but I know this can be bad for kittens so I started giving her water.

It smells quite rotten without going into horrible details but it reminds me almost of the toilets at Oxegen.. Yeah. So I'm starting to get concerned, is this normal? I googled it and a lot of answers came up yet they were all different. Should I bring her to the vet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Has she been wormed? This can defo cause hassle in the toileting area. Does she have a swollen belly as this can be an indication? You neet to get her checked with vet if u haven't already. We had a kitten who was so infested with worms when we got her that it took 4 or 5 doses to get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Oooh, I'm not sure at all. We were given her by our Aunt. I think she took care of that but I will get my mother to ring her tomorrow to find out and see.

That sounds the most logical thing, thank you. I'll let you know what the response is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

On the worming, kittens should be wormed every 2 weeks until 12 weeks, then monthly until 6 months, then every 3 months.

If your mother is giving milk that could be the problem, it causes watery diarrhea and than can get on the fur and cause bad smells. They get dehydrated very easy when small so milk can be quite dangerous.

If you want to clean her up try getting some rags and 2 bowls of warm water, in one put a tiny drop of baby shampoo in it (teaspoon sized), and mix well, dip cloths and wring out, rub kitten all over, use the clean water and another rag to wipe off. There shouldn't be suds the shampoo should be very diluted, I've done this loads of times (if you worm her do it day or so afterwards). The warm damp cloth rubbed all over makes them feel like being washed by mum, do they should be happy, take it easy and make sure you do it in a warm dry place, keep kitten warm until fully dry. You don't need to soak kitten just rub the surface hair, and try getting between toes etc.

Also all dry food isn't great, try giving one meal wet a day, best quality food you can afford.

Hope your kitten brings you great joy, and don't forget to post pic's!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Welcome to the joy that is the kitten fart!

Change her food to something of good quality, try her with a little supplementary raw meat (not mince- mince is full of bacteria and should be cooked, try a strip off a piece of cheap stewing steak) and tell your mother the kitten is lactose intolerant and the cow's milk can give her the runs and make her dehydrated.

What you're smelling is most probably kitten farts - they can be pretty rank as the kitten is adjusting to a new diet, and really bad if that new diet isn't agreeing with her.

Advertisement