Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Votes per polling station.

Options
  • 25-02-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there any online source showing the votes per candidate per polling station in the last election? I remember the local paper publishing these figures (not sure if they were official or tallyman figures) after the last election. Electionsireland.org doesn't have them, so I'm beginning to doubt they are anywhere else either.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No, these are not officially calculated as they would completely ruin the idea of a secret ballot. In my area only about 200 voters were assigned the ballot box I used. It is done by location so that would probably be everyone on my road and the next road. It would almost make it possible to guess who voted for who on each road/street.

The tallymen for parties do a quick count of the 1st prefs as they come out of the boxes but this isnt always accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sergeant wrote: »
    Is there any online source showing the votes per candidate per polling station in the last election? I remember the local paper publishing these figures (not sure if they were official or tallyman figures) after the last election. Electionsireland.org doesn't have them, so I'm beginning to doubt they are anywhere else either.

I agree with delta_bravo. Look at the Polling Scheme for Dublin http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/CouncilPublications/Documents/Polling%20Scheme%202009%20final.pdf

Now, sure, many of the polling stations have hundreds of voters, but if you go to somewhere rural, there would be much fewer and in some places, not everyone would vote. Now, some neighbourhoods vote very similarly, e.g. if a candidate lives on the street or some service delivered, e.g. a school is associated with one candidate or party. This might make it very easy for someone to determine how those people voted and potentially even as to how one person or family voted.

Advertisement