Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My First Marathon - Questions

Options
  • 24-11-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi!

I am running my first marathon on December 6th in Clonakilty. My long run is up to about 38km and I am feeling fit - no niggles or pains. However, I am a bit concerned that on all of my long runs so far, every time I hit 25km I need to defecate. I don't eat on the morning of my long run, in fact, I stop eating the night before and go to the toilet between 1 and 3 times on the morning of the run, yet still, without fail, I need to go to the bathroom right in the middle of my run.

Allow me to admit my ignorance here: I don't know if eating the morning of the run would be better or worse for this problem. I always presumed that if I did eat before running I would definitely need to go to the bathroom, but not eating seems to produce the same result.

Any suggestions?

I am a vegetarian by the way, in case you would like to make suggestions of a specific food.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Have a good fibrery meal b4 u go to bed and dump it in d morning ,,for want of a better word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

A very strong coffee (I usually have an espresso) as soon as I get up is very useful to make sure you get rid of anything that isn't required before the start. Naturally enough have this a good few hours beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KaseyTantrum

Thanks guys. Normally, I don't drink caffeine, but I can make an exception if it saves me having to run behind a hedge on mile fifteen. :)

As for the meal, I was going to go with brown-bread toast and beans the night before.

Clon Mara is out and back twice,so ull be near a jax every few miles....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Thanks guys. Normally, I don't drink caffeine, but I can make an exception if it saves me having to run behind a hedge on mile fifteen. :)

As for the meal, I was going to go with brown-bread toast and beans the night before.

If you don't usually drink Coffee id caution against trying it on marathon morning, maybe try it a couple of hours before your last long run just to be certain it isnt "over-effective".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Isn't doing a long run on an empty stomach not an incredibly stupid thing to do?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Isn't doing a long run on an empty stomach not an incredibly stupid thing to do?
    Depends on Wat u call long

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, not if you're properly prepared for it. You're training your body to run on less immediately-available fuel.

Doing a long race on an empty stomach, on the other hand...

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

When training for the marathon, i tend to do all my long run's first thing in the morning before breakfast. Tbh, i never find it a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,586 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What about trying the runs with a decent/nourishing feed in the morning and then comparing the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

walshb wrote: »
    What about trying the runs with a decent/nourishing feed in the morning and then comparing the two?

Might be worth a try. I've often read here, that after eating you should leave it maybe 1/2 hours before running.
    Not sure, how true that is? Might get up a little earlier some Sunday morning and give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you genuinely training up to 38kms for your first marathon? You are either:
    a) A high performing athlete
    b) Slightly OCD
    c) Following your own makey-uppey plan
    d) Someone who really, really likes long runs

On the question of managing exports, it really comes down the the individual, but I'd try the strong cup of coffee an hour before heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,586 ✭✭✭✭walshb

PDCAT wrote: »
    Might be worth a try. I've often read here, that after eating you should leave it maybe 1/2 hours before running.
    Not sure, how true that is? Might get up a little earlier some Sunday morning and give it a go.

Yes, give it at least 30 mins. Maybe some cereal and toast/banana with small amount of liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Hi!

I am running my first marathon on December 6th in Clonakilty. My long run is up to about 38km and I am feeling fit - no niggles or pains. However, I am a bit concerned that on all of my long runs so far, every time I hit 25km I need to defecate. I don't eat on the morning of my long run, in fact, I stop eating the night before and go to the toilet between 1 and 3 times on the morning of the run, yet still, without fail, I need to go to the bathroom right in the middle of my run.

Personally I wouldnt worry about it on the day of the race. Nothing gets the bowels moving like the excitement of race morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Half pint of water first thing/in an empty stomach followed by a coffee and race nerves does it for me :) ps good luck and enjoy, I hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KaseyTantrum

Thanks a million for all the advice. Went to the doctor today - unrelated matter - and said while I was there I'd run it by him. He seemed to think the best thing to do is take a mild anti-diarrhetic before heading out.

As the marathon starts at 9am, I am planning on getting up at 6, eating eggs, toast and beans and then going for a walk. Driving to Clon from Cork city, hopefully "going" when I get there and then seeing how I feel.

@DogSlySmile - I think you're onto something there: I did the Killarney Adventure Race this year and it wasn't a problem. I did the Great Railway Run 25km in Cork last year too and it wasn't a problem that day either, so I guess nerves/excitement will play a part as well. I'm already nervous now and it's five days away!

Also:
    Are you genuinely training up to 38kms for your first marathon? You are either:
    a) A high performing athlete
    b) Slightly OCD
    c) Following your own makey-uppey plan
    d) Someone who really, really likes long runs

On the question of managing exports, it really comes down the the individual, but I'd try the strong cup of coffee an hour before heading out.

I'm definitely not a high performing athlete;
    I'm definitely very OCD;
    I'm following a 12 week plan, but on the Sunday in question I just felt really good and wanted to stay out a little longer, see how I would go;
    I definitely liked long runs when I started training for this, but I am looking forward to getting back to a nice 45 minute spinning class next week!

Thanks again for all your advice. :)

Advertisement