Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

jenny18 wrote: »
    well repeated for medicine and half way through year realised i don't want to be a doctor, FML! science or law? have my hpat, 80th percentile last year, but think i may have gone down from last year, so would have no chance anyway.
    Anyone else having a change of heart?

I've two friends with law degrees who are on the dole. That's a very vague reflection of that field of study I know, but my point is don't just do law because it's considered one of the top degrees. It's also nothing like you see in the movies, you might very rarely see a court - it's mostly paperwork. I'm not telling you not to do law, but just make sure you research before you make your decision.

My mother said she read recently that there'll be plenty of career opportunities in science here in the coming years. That's all I got about science! Very vague again I know, sorry!

Oh and good luck tomorrow even though you probably don't care now.

daithioc wrote: »
    What way are the points working for med with the 25 extra for maths?

It brings the top score possible upto 565.

Since we haven't been given a definite time on Monday, are people waiting up tomorrow night in the hope they'll get their results? I've read the posts earlier in the thread which suggest the time difference may result in them being released in the early hours of Monday morning....

I'm planning on staying up no later than 1 but in truth I'd probably stay up till 6 or 7 if they were released then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've two friends with law degrees who are on the dole. That's a very vague reflection of that field of study I know, but my point is don't just do law because it's considered one of the top degrees. It's also nothing like you see in the movies, you might very rarely see a court - it's mostly paperwork. I'm not telling you not to do law, but just make sure you research before you make your decision.

My mother said she read recently that there'll be plenty of career opportunities in science here in the coming years. That's all I got about science! Very vague again I know, sorry!

Oh and good luck tomorrow even though you probably don't care now.
    To add to that... if you want to get pharmaceutical science and research and development and can get the points i'd advise Pharmacy over science/medicinal chemistry. You'll enjoy it a lot more and have a lot more options open to you after you graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

^^^ hahaha

It's for pick the middles, when there's an alternating element it has to be ABABA.
    ahh... fun times.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

For anyone interested, here's a few more random course's exam papers:
    Engineering.

Obviously there's a lot more to all of these courses than exam papers and written exams but they give you the general idea of what to expect.

you made me shudder by posting this link. skeletons in the closet should be left there!!!
    :(

It brings the top score possible upto 565.

or if you are in the 520-530 range and got an A in honours maths, you are suddenly in contention

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Best of luck everyone!

I missed medicine on the first and second rounds last year, and was a point short, so I know what it's like both to miss medicine and to get medicine. :P It's pretty gutting, and what's worse when you're close is waiting for the CAO rounds to come around and being disappointed again and again. Things do get better though, you do move on, and make sure you take it easy, don't panic when things aren't going your way! The main thing is to make sure you have your second choices sorted. I immediately regretted my second choice, I had foolishly changed it at the last minute from pharmacy (which I'd have loved) for some idiotic reason I can't remember. I wasn't left with any choice then - it was either repeat (with very high LC points in my first LC) or take a year out, both of which I hadn't planned for.

So basically, have a good back-up plan. Either take a year out, a college course you'll like or repeating the LC + HPAT (only advised if you don't do great in the LC!)

If you do well in the HPAT, don't get complacent about the LC. Also, take it easy on the gloating. I'm sure this thread will become a bit of a troll-fest anyway with all sorts of people with around 10 posts coming out the woodwork saying they got into the 99th percentile.

hollingr wrote: »
    or if you are in the 520-530 range and got an A in honours maths, you are suddenly in contention

Yeah that too, although isn't your score in Maths irrelevant to this as the 25 points are for anyone who passes honours Maths - you don't necessarily have to get an A?

Yeah that too, although isn't your score in Maths irrelevant to this as the 25 points are for anyone who passes honours Maths - you don't necessarily have to get an A?

your score in maths is very relevant! the 25 is added to the maths score, not total score. So it has the greatest effect with an A1 where you would get 125 points.

If you get a d3 it becomes a C1 - if a c1 is outside your best 6 subjects then the extra 25 for maths is irrelevant to you.

So as long as your score in hons maths + 25 is one of your best 6, the extra 25 is relevant to you

• Advertisement

your score in maths is very relevant! the 25 is added to the maths score, not total score. So it has the greatest effect with an A1 where you would get 125 points.

If you get a d3 it becomes a C1 - if a c1 is outside your best 6 subjects then the extra 25 for maths is irrelevant to you.

So as long as your score in hons maths + 25 is one of your best 6, the extra 25 is relevant to you

I'm confused... I get the 'keeping Maths within the top 6' thing but you don't have to get an A right?

(Don't worry I'm nearly there... It's late and I'm slow at the best of times... Someday I'll make a great doctor, so long as speed of thought and basic intelligence aren't prerequisites)

nope, don't need an A to get the extra 25, but to get over 100 you need an A.. which is where it will count the most!

nope, don't need an A to get the extra 25, but to get over 100 you need an A.. which is where it will count the most!

But it won't!

e.g. If you get 80 in Maths and 100 in Irish, you get 205 between them and the bonus points.
    If you get 100 in Maths and 80 in Irish, you get 205 between them and the bonus points.

So it doesn't matter how you get the points, so long as you get them. Am I making sense or am I going insane/slow?

Edit: I think I should just go to bed and try to figure this out tomorrow.

look at it a different way.. you're missing my point!

what's better.. adding 25 onto 80 or adding 25 onto 100?

keep in mind people like me who got 520-530 in the leaving years and years ago but with a1's in honours maths suddenly have 545+!

Medicine is super competitive. 2-3 points is the difference between getting in or not for the majority of people applying.. if i'd only gotten a c3 in honours maths i'd be on 505 instead of 545 and not a hope in hell of getting in.

Granted I still need 90th percentile plus (possibly even more) in the hpat to get in on 545, but hope you get my point!

I think you're missing my point!

If you only had a C in Maths but had bumped one of your other C's up to an A, then you would score in the 545+ also. Hence it doesn't matter which subject you got an A in so long as Maths was in your top 6.

I'm gonna bow out here 'cos this could go on and on and on.

P.S. I'm also a veteran (2005).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The 25 extra points in maths would have the most pronounced effect if HL maths would've been one of your top 6 subjects even without the points upgrade.

The more those 25 points are needed to get maths into your top 6, the less a pronounced effect they'll have on your points.

However, I imagine in the case of medicine students (a large proportion who do/will have HL maths in the top 6 without the points upgrade) the effect will be quite pronounced, and there will be an appreciably larger number of people passing the 550 barrier than there were in other years.

I think you're missing my point!

If you only had a C in Maths but had bumped one of your other C's up to an A, then you would score in the 545+ also. Hence it doesn't matter which subject you got an A in so long as Maths was in your top 6.

I'm gonna bow out here 'cos this could go on and on and on.

P.S. I'm also a veteran (2005).

the 'but bump up another subject' doesn't exist though, it's just maths!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

But it won't!

e.g. If you get 80 in Maths and 100 in Irish, you get 205 between them and the bonus points.
    If you get 100 in Maths and 80 in Irish, you get 205 between them and the bonus points.

So it doesn't matter how you get the points, so long as you get them. Am I making sense or am I going insane/slow?

Edit: I think I should just go to bed and try to figure this out tomorrow.

Well it'd matter in the case of doing well in all your other subjects. If you got 6 A2s (90 each), for example, then getting anything worth less than 65 points in maths before the bonus won't add anything onto your score. Even if you managed a C1 (70) when you add them all up the bonus will only bring up your score by 5 points in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Hi guys

I've applied for mature entry this year but still think i might be in with a shot at getting in with a combination of points and hpat score. Do i receive these bonus points for maths if i did the leaving cert in 2006 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Science and Law are pretty different. Just take a look at the exam papers to see what I mean.
    Science at TCD.
    Law at TCD.

For anyone interested, here's a few more random course's exam papers:
    Engineering.
    Medicine.
    Pharmacy.
    Dental science.

Obviously there's a lot more to all of these courses than exam papers and written exams but they give you the general idea of what to expect.

thanks, yes i know but i love arguing and reading vast amounts of information was on debate team etc etc why i like law.
    love seeing how things work and do all the sciences hence that.
    but if i win the lotto or find out i'm adopted and my parents are millionaires the science trinity during daytime, law griffith 3 nights a wee
    impossible but i can dream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rexel2007

Hey, does anyone know what time the HPAT results are usually released?

rexel2007 wrote: »

I'll take this before hollingr :pac:

Anytime, there's no specific time they are released, they were out after midnight last year but before that it was morning. If you search back through the thread you'll see this has been answered before! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

rexel2007 wrote: »

last year i got mine at 2am but that might change

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Waiting anxiously here as well lads... :(
    Did lots of prep but my head wasnt really set right on the day, couldnt concentrate properly at all and stuff so hoping for a miracle in just over 12 hours.

Best of luck to us all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rexel2007

Thanks.

Was the same myself on the day. Practised for months before but didn't feel it went as well on the day.

Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Aghhhhh I'm realising more and more every day how much I want this! Good luck all

I'll take this before hollingr :pac:

Anytime, there's no specific time they are released, they were out after midnight last year but before that it was morning. If you search back through the thread you'll see this has been answered before! :)

my hero <3

worth keeping an eye on email between the hours of 12-2 am this morning if you happen to be up chewing off your fingernails.. Remember they will be releasing the scores on Australian time, not Irish so it is likely to be an unsociable hour..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

speeding wrote: »
    Hi guys

I've applied for mature entry this year but still think i might be in with a shot at getting in with a combination of points and hpat score. Do i receive these bonus points for maths if i did the leaving cert in 2006 ?

Yes. This is the only evidence I could find http://www2.cao.ie/schools_corr/sep_2011/BonusPointsMathsWithExamples.pdf
    look at applicant 4

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Should we not have gotten an e-mail with the link to the results for tomorrow by now?

• Advertisement

Should we not have gotten an e-mail with the link to the results for tomorrow by now?
    No, you won't get the email until you can actually access the results.

Advertisement