Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killiney Hill Sunrise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I won't be there guys, going to go for a big hike instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

DK32 wrote: »
    So are we better off heading up to the obelisk?

not sure, I haven't been up that way, I've only seen photos. The annoying thing is, if you go to one you can't go to the other.. You'd actually probably get some good shots of the island from the obelisk now that I think about it.. so ye, I'd say go up there, although it does take about half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

alexlyons wrote: »
    Apologies to those who made it to the 40ft, got tied up and couldn't make it, feel kinda bad after suggesting it!

We were wondering where you are:) But then again the sunrise wasn't exactly spectacular anyway. I only stayed 20 minutes and then preferred a relaxed breakfast...

I'm still up for Sunday. Still not sure where the Castle is? That's for me the Hotel and from there you have no view of the sea. And walking a short stroll downhill from the Obelisk to this Pyramid thing is quite a nice view of Dalkey Island.

3193836405_288522b79d.jpg

Are you sure it takes 30 minutes from the car park up to the Obelisk? Might do a testwalk tomorrow.

Almost certain it take the guts of half an hour. The photo above from xia is what I mean about a good view. the view from the castle is only north south, so not the best. Completely forgot about the whole needing to point east thing..

That is the best view you're gonna get looking east from the castle. Forgive the shot, I don't have anything decent of the view, but at least it's an idea. I'd definitely say the obelisk, no question.

4447533860_0f15200708.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

DK32 wrote: »
    Is everyone still up for this on Sunday?

Yes indeed, will be heading out with swingking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I've just found out that I've to stay in Greystones tonight . I know this is short notice and all but is there anyone who can give Paul (eightcell) a lift there from Terenure . I can give him a lift home but not there.

So looking for anyone around the south city area of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If there is no one else travelling tru Terenure I will pick Paul up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

Thanks guys but its grand, I'll make my way there later in the day... have a good one!

swingking wrote: »
    I've just found out that I've to stay in Greystones tonight .

She who must be obeyed has spoken :D And you said nothing exciting happens in Greystones.

• Advertisement

I tell ya something, If I wake up at 4am like I did this morning, and it's p*ssing from the heavens again, It'll take some doing to drag me outta bed!

Just wondering, if we're going up by the obelisk, with a very possible half hour walk, any delay's, scouting positions etc, is 5.45 not a bit late?

Just wanted to post my results;)

Did the reccie today. The car park has no gate (only one of those height control thingys) so we can drive up there. And it took me, inclusive taking pictures, 15/20 minutes max. to get up to the Obelisk and that using the longer way along Victorias Gate - but no steps that way. Ok, in light but all on a proper way.

Anyhow. I would be ok to meet at 5.30 am - rain or shine;)

Oh, and I came across this map for anyone haven't been there before

4448641602_c8822a8a89.jpg

looks good, now that I think about it, I should have remembered there is only a height barrier! The distance from the car park and victoria's gate are pretty similar from the girl I know and from looking at a few maps. I'd say half 5 would be perfect! Looks good though, can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

just wondering if anybody can tag along and if so what time

sikahunter wrote: »

Yes, everybody is welcome. We just don't like axe murderers;)
    As for the time: It's under discussion atm. Originally 5.45 am now maybe 5.30am, but if not everybody reads this it might be pointless to be there early.

@Alex: I meant I walked from the car park via Victorias Gate up to the Obelisk, so the way on the left of the map.

yup sure can. looking like half 5 in the car park at the hill. If you need a lift just say where you are and somebody may be able to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

hmmmmm, if I wake up I might just head up there too!!

sounds good il leave the axe at home to to many eye withness,s with cameras:D

Of course, come along

cool think il have to go looking for my flask so is it just sunrise or is there a walk on also il see if my mate will drop me up lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

All suggested time of 5:30am is better and allows for everyone to get up to the Obelisk and get setup.
    I will be there for 5:30am in the car park.
    See you then.

p.s. Anyone is welcome to tag along or join in

xia wrote: »
    @Alex: I meant I walked from the car park via Victorias Gate up to the Obelisk, so the way on the left of the map.

ye i'm gonna let you lead the way etc :) getting a bit confusing! All though looking at it, that would make sense, based on the other way only being 5 minutes...

Truly sorry for my attempted assistance that turned out to be utter rubbish and only confusing people.. Time for bed.

your prob all in bed at this stage but is anyone passing ballybrack cromlock fields area :p

your prob all in bed at this stage but is anyone passing ballybrack cromlock fields area :p
    I could have but unfortunately wasn't online to see this post. Sorry.
    Lovely morning on Killiney Hill, 6 of us were there.

89E929446A9A4519963C58FE28FFF590-800.jpg

damn! thought I was going to be first! I've an hour to have a quick look at them. great shot john, water is very sharp

4450255338_c99b1b92de_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Lovely shot John. I'll look at mine later :)

They are definitely not normal people:D
    12814A15583E4C7E84EBC49424F27E62-800.jpg

• Advertisement

alexlyons wrote: »
    damn! thought I was going to be first!

That's why John left us earlier;);)

But seriously, it is a great shot.

My Spar had already fresh croissants, so Breakfast finished and will check my results now...

Advertisement