Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

OK, now I'm seriously worried.

I have been looking for Work Experience since late July/early August, and, bar my week in the Mater hospital, I am very, very screwed. I have got at least ten negative replies from potential companies.

I thought I had a week in a stock broking company, but I was wrong. It sucks. I mean they seemed really positive and, for once, interesrted in in the notion of work Experence. They lead me along for a about three weeks and then, zap.

Any ideas about actuarial/financial work experience in Dublin?

Please help. I only have a few weeks!!!!

PS - I'm slowly beginning to resent the finacial world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Was on the same place as you a month ago and I just ended up doing work in a place that I wouldn't be terribly interested in but you know, I had to go somewhere.

Maybe try a bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Don't most big companies have a finance department? I'd imagine finance doesn't vary an awful lot between companies so it doesn't matter too much what they actually deal with...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Conor108 wrote: »

Maybe try a bank?

Apparently Banks will be slow to take people for work experience. Confidentiality issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Still not sure what to do.
    My w.e. is in december but my only ideas are:
    hmv
    tower records
    gamestop/game

Help :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

|Cookies wrote: »
    Not true.

i got a week in Microsoft and a week in Google last year.

Mind telling us how? :eek:

Go for work experience in a business/profession that you'd be interested in when you're older. The places you listed are all retail, so maybe you should try somewhere else, like if you're interested in music, a radio station maybe, or recording studio.
    I'm in 6th year now and I'm sort of regretting where I went for my work experience, because I didn't get to see what careers are like that I actually have an interest in. Of course, it's hard to know what you'll want to do in two years when you're in TY!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Got mine- Library confirmed it today!

Gonna learn from my lessions - Im going to start looking for my march we placement this week!

!

Gonna learn from my lessions - Im going to start looking for my march we placement this week!

I've learned likewise!!!

I have to start looking for my April placement soon. I should not leave it on the back burner like I have previously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

3 rejections in one day. Yay!!!!!!!

Is just me or does the whole financial sector completely dispise TY's? I probably left it to late (mumble, apparently starting in July isn't early enough, mumble). Oh well, I'll try again (and again and again and again).
    I am beginning to regret not accepting a week in a Mini-Med School. GRRRRRRRRR.
    To any third years reading who are considering work experience in the financial area, my advice to you is this: begin looking for work experience now. No matter how well you do in the JC (believe me, I got all A's at HL), getting work experience in a bank, etc. is nigh impossible unless you apply early. Good luck.

• Advertisement

The financial sector despises all, for it is the financial sector.

>_>

Also, regarding work experience.. 2/3 three of the weeks I did, I got the place due to knowing someone in there, so keep that in mind. Obviously you can't guarantee you're going to know someone in your dream job, but it's certainly useful when you're looking for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

work experience is quite easy to get in my area!

my ty co ordinator was filling us with this bulls***: write a letter, make a cv, call into them , be confident and praise yourself, he had me ****ing myself

i went into my first business a few weeks ago to get work exp with cvs and letters all ready and prepared and with what im going to say all planned out in my head,

i meet the manager and he just takes my name, number and when my start date is and im done!!

didnt need letters, cvs anything!

i could have killed my ty co ord

i spent hours making a cv, writing a letter and planning the conversation for them to wind up in the ****ing bin! :mad:

:cool::cool::cool:

Hang on a sec we're 16. What kind of entry-level CV takes hours to compose? Did you make the paper by hand??:D

I got my w/e the same way

Conor108 wrote: »
    Hang on a sec we're 16. What kind of entry-level CV takes hours to compose?

i meant that writing the letters, cv and planning what i was going to say took hours took hours, and i couldnt find my bloody jc results aswell which put more time on it

Starting my work experience tommorow......

Ah right. Have fun, Neon:)

Just home from day one of work. Its more of a doss than TY itself :D

Did not do alot. Did some filing, scanned some stuff for a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Have the second last week before Christmas in the local radio. Still need the week before Christmas and a week before Easter...

The local paper and a consumer magazine said I had no chance of getting in at all. Didn't get into RTÉ because of the lottery system they have but I'll still try the production companies (eg Tyrone Productions, who make Seoige & O'Shea etc)

My mom's friend owns a cafe in Bray and she says I can go there if I'm really stuck but I really want to get something in the media!!!!

Changed mine today from Library to an software developing company, which is in the area of work I was interested in getting, so I am delighted.

I was just told today that if I don't have three whole Monday to Friday weeks planned by next Friday the teacher is organising work experience at a charity shop for me :eek:

I panicked and started emailing more people but I'm really tired and fairly desperate for someone to say yes and I forgot to edit most of the messages :p so most have the wrong name on them and a few say I'm a regular customer of the company's main competitors :o

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!

• Advertisement

jb91 wrote: »
    I was just told today that if I don't have three whole Monday to Friday weeks planned by next Friday the teacher is organising work experience at a charity shop for me :eek:

I panicked and started emailing more people but I'm really tired and fairly desperate for someone to say yes and I forgot to edit most of the messages :p so most have the wrong name on them and a few say I'm a regular customer of the company's main competitors :o

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!

you should come to bray theres loads of w/e knocking around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mrtutu

We havent started wrk sperican yet! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Why? Still learning your ABC's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Still not sure what to do.
    My w.e. is in december but my only ideas are:
    hmv
    tower records
    gamestop/game

Help :(

In fairness, do not go there.

Local architects, opticians, chemists etc.

Personally, I went to an opticians and got a job out of it

Two people I know were offered part-time jobs where they are doing their work experience atm!

First week over :( I wont wanna go back to school when it's finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I don't start my work experience until the end of February! We have 2 weeks then and then another two at the end of May. Haven't got a clue what i'm doing yet though.

trogdor wrote: »
    I don't start my work experience until the end of February! We have 2 weeks then and then another two at the end of May. Haven't got a clue what i'm doing yet though.

I still need the week before Christmas and the week before Easter and if I don't sort them out by Friday my careers teacher will organise a charity shop for me :(

Yay 300th post :)

Finished mine today.... *tear* enjoyed it alot. Didnt want to leave at all. Cant wait for next work experience in april!!

Do much in the newspaper?

• Advertisement

Finally sorted out my 2 weeks before Christmas :D

Week 1:
    4 days in the local radio station
    1 day in a charity shop :p

Week 2:
    Market Research company

Advertisement