Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TY alternatives

Options
  • 11-05-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My daughter would prefer not to do TY.
    Are there any alternatives i.e. a year in drama/music and then fall back in for 5th year?
    We are considering the institute in Leeson St. in order to skip TY but I would rather a year out if possible.
    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    RG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Is there any particular reason why she doesn't want to do TY? I found it to be a great experience though I know it can vary by school.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

VG31 wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason why she doesn't want to do TY? I found it to be a great experience though I know it can vary by school.

Her elder siste did TY two years ago and enjoyed it but the younger girl just feels it's a waste of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Her elder siste did TY two years ago and enjoyed it but the younger girl just feels it's a waste of a year.

It would be pretty expensive but you could try a foreign exchange?

A couple of girls in my TY went on exchange for 6 weeks and we had some girls from Germany and Spain join our Ty for the whole year in order to become fluent in English

It would be expensive but the foreign students in our year have fluent English as a result of the exchange!

It would be pretty expensive but you could try a foreign exchange?

A couple of girls in my TY went on exchange for 6 weeks and we had some girls from Germany and Spain join our Ty for the whole year in order to become fluent in English

It would be expensive but the foreign students in our year have fluent English as a result of the exchange!

Thanks, she did consider this but it would be too expensive for the whole year

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

This is possible and you will probably be able be organise it however you may not be able to afford it depending on your income.

The first option would be to send your child to a drama and music academy and boarding school however I don't know of any in Ireland however there are plenty of them in other countries.

Another option would be to send her to a finishing school abroad which is similar to the above option.

However you will not be able to take her out of school and not have her attending another school most likely. I know a friend of mine was planning on doing this and moving to relatives in the US for the year however the school told him that unless he was enrolled in a school in the US there would be no place for him in the school of he wanted to return in 5th year and even if he had attended school while there he would have to reapply to the school in 5th year.

One thing however of your daughter doesn't want to do TY then why do you want to take her out for the year is there any reason was to why she doesn't want to do TY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ballybeg0

Hi,

I'm in the same boat with my daughter. They have refused her for TY (apparantly they feel it would not suit her!) but have said that if she takes a year out then they will guarantee her a place in 5th yr the following year. I dont know what to do with her though, because she needs to be in education until Feb when she's 16. I'm considering France until then but it would be v expensive. After that she could possibly do some volunteer work/ work experience etc. There really doesnt deem to be many options unless you have money...

Anne

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

ballybeg0 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat with my daughter. They have refused her for TY (apparantly they feel it would not suit her!) but have said that if she takes a year out then they will guarantee her a place in 5th yr the following year. I dont know what to do with her though, because she needs to be in education until Feb when she's 16. I'm considering France until then but it would be v expensive. After that she could possibly do some volunteer work/ work experience etc. There really doesnt deem to be many options unless you have money...

Anne

Happened a few people I know. Would there be any possibility of her doing TY in another local school, and then moving back to her original school for fifth year?

ballybeg0 wrote: »
    Hi,

Anne

Did they give you any ideas as to what to do with you daughter for the 12 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ballybeg0

The year out was my suggestion, I just wanted to make sure there would be a place for her to join her original year in Sept 2016. I've checked a couple of other schools but their TY programmes are full.

I've been checking around & I'm now looking at her going to France for the first term- it's a lot cheaper if you can do an exchange, so the french girl would join her in 5th yr for the autumn term. After that maybe spending 6 mths in school in Oz with my sis. One of the subjects they can do is waitressing & barwork!!!

I'm beginning to think her being refused TY is a godsend!

Advertisement