Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

please help! where do i stand in this situation??

• 18-10-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi ,
    Me and my partner went to look at a house which we liked and decided we wanted to move in. it was just for rent not to buy. the agent told us to give her a holding deposit to keep the house. yesterday we lodged 400 euro into the account. today she rings us and tells us that we do not have the house!!! she said the landlord has done some investigating on us and because of what was said we no longer have the house. we phoned our previous landlord who said he gave us a good reference and that it was not the landlord that phoned it was the agent. I am so upset for being lied to and not getting the house after being told a week ago it was ours especially the fact she waited til we paid the money to tell us. what can i do in this situation, any help or advice is appreciated thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Where do you stand? Get your holding deposit back and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daddysgirl

well thats why im posting im obviously afraid of losing the deposit. she said it will be a few days before we can have it back. i just need to know if she can legally keep it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You should be getting back 400 as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd be very weary some agents have been using this as a scam don't be surprised if they tell you it's a non refundable holding deposit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

first rule of renting, don't pay a penny til you get the keys in your hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

first rule of renting, don't pay a penny til you get the keys in your hand.
    Good luck with that, every place I've rented has involved a holding deposit of a few hundred euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

daddysgirl wrote: »
    well thats why im posting im obviously afraid of losing the deposit. she said it will be a few days before we can have it back. i just need to know if she can legally keep it

You won't lose it. A holding deposit is standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Good luck with that, every place I've rented has involved a holding deposit of a few hundred euros.

Is that just when you need them to hold it for a few weeks or even if moving in immediately? I would be very weary of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Personally I would go to their premises tomorrow and ask for your deposit back. If you are not getting the house in question it is no longer a holding deposit it is your money and you are entitled to it back immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭spin777

Is that just when you need them to hold it for a few weeks or even if moving in immediately? I would be very weary of that.

Both scenarios. No landlord in their right mind would hold a property for more than a few hours without a deposit. That's Dublin anyway, it is different down the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement