Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

MercMad wrote: »
    Thats a lovely car Maidhc, looks very straight. The W201's are just a lovely quality motor and the 2.6 is very smooth indeed.

Not to be pedantic but the Sportline does not have the "Cosworth" suspension. It DOES have the same anti roll bars and its features lower ride height springs and uprated shocks, but the Cosworth has many different parts including bigger bushings and a complete self levelling rear suspension set up with LSD. The steering boxes are the same and this makes the Sportline much nicer to drive.

Well wear and best of luck.

Indeed! I'm learning all the time. Focus feels like it is made of tinfoil in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

Congrats maidhc on your new wheels!

IMO they're an under appreciated car that have traditional MB qualities - that hewn from granite 'feel', dependable, the satisfying thunk when you close the door, and that solidity that lets you know if you look after this car, its just gonna keep on going..
    Plenty of go in that 2.6 engine as well :)

Is the chrome surround on the rear screen a Sportline fitment ? Can't say i've noticed it on other W201s before, although you don't see too many 2.6s around

tc20 wrote: »
    Is the chrome surround on the rear screen a Sportline fitment ? Can't say i've noticed it on other W201s before, although you don't see too many 2.6s around

It is more a "smoked" silver than chrome. It runs from the back corners of the bonnet, along the roof rails and then around the rear windown. The rear quarter light has the same stuff. No idea if it is an extra or where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

maidhc wrote: »
    It is more a "smoked" silver than chrome. It runs from the back corners of the bonnet, along the roof rails and then around the rear windown. The rear quarter light has the same stuff. No idea if it is an extra or where it came from.

..............most of them have it except the basic early version. its the same with the W124's all the Coupe, Cabs and later cars have it. Its actually a smokey bronze kinda colour and looks very well.

Its amazing how many W201's survive in apparantly excellent condition. Certainly you would struggle to find W202's that look as good.

A friend of mine bought one in 2007 for €400 off a farm in Cavan. I nearly got sick when I saw it. It was absolutely concours after he washed and polished it, nice antelope gold colour with auto trans. it was a basic car but he got a set of alloys, like the ones above, repainted them and had the interior professionally valeted.

Unbelieveable !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Keeping on the Merc theme, This is a pic of my first classic for a number of years. It is a 1978 Merc 280ce. A friend and I recently travelled to Southampton and drove back this purchase. It had just two owners , one a lady doctor had it for 27 years. It has a good bit of history and has just 85k on the clock which I believe to be genuine. Drives very well, and as you can see the interior is exceptionally good, with the rear seat hardly ever used.
    I have a bit of work to do on the rear arches and one door , but when I get round to that it should be a beauty. But so far I am enjoying driving it with (with the 48 tax) too much to get any work done on it.:D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My old 1990 model 190e has the smoked bronze detailing, front, back and along the roof.

3255581823_8501a80a4c_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What did you trade it for Mike?

Well wear other Maidhc lol:D

shawnee wrote: »
    I have a bit of work to do on the rear arches and one door , but when I get round to that it should be a beauty. But so far I am enjoying driving it with (with the 48 tax) too much to get any work done on it.:D:rolleyes:

I know the feeling. I need to do work on my capri, but I know if i take it off the road it will be off for a few years, and I don't like the idea of that.

Stunning car btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Limerick man, sold it and got a 1996 Audi A6 SE (was looking for a w124 but I couldn't find the right mix of price/spec/condition).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

shawnee wrote: »
    Keeping on the Merc theme, This is a pic of my first classic for a number of years. It is a 1978 Merc 280ce. A friend and I recently travelled to Southampton and drove back this purchase. It had just two owners , one a lady doctor had it for 27 years. It has a good bit of history and has just 85k on the clock which I believe to be genuine. Drives very well, and as you can see the interior is exceptionally good, with the rear seat hardly ever used.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/122453/72155.jpg

Looks very tidy shawnee, well done.
    I know its an early W123 coupe you have, but the dash and central console look like they're from a W114 :confused:

• Advertisement

tc20 wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/122453/72155.jpg

Looks very tidy shawnee, well done.
    I know its an early W123 coupe you have, but the dash and central console look like they're from a W114 :confused:

................yeah definitely NOT a W123 dash !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Especially for Max Damamge another Fiesta, this one in Ranelagh.:p
    Picture_006_Small.jpg
    A Mini in Cork Street.
    Picture_009_Small.jpg
    And a Renault 4 in Drimnagh.
    Sorry about the crap photo but I haven't seen one of these old vans for ages. Dublin used to be littered with them.
    Picture_010_Small.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Picture_006_Small.jpg

..............havent seen one in a long time. That is a 1981 Dublin reg'd Fiesta "Festival", special edition. It had the black bumpers and wheels with emeblishers (now missing) which were 1/2" wider than standard. It had a side rubbing strip, fron headrests, radio, rear wash wipe and "Festival" badging on the back.

My mother got a new one in 1981, 353 FZL bought from Esmonde in Stillorgan for the princely sum of IR£3,825.00 including metallic paint (Aztec Bronze)and this was the first car I really drove on the roads both legally and otherwise.

I rebuilt the engine in 1987 and we passed this car on in 1989 to my cousin. I rebbuilt it a few years later and it was passed to family friends.

Never heard what happened to it after that !

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Its an opel anyway, but any guesses, it has a summerhill spares sticker on the back and looks like an early rekord or commodore

Where did you see the Opel mondy?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

on the clarehall malahide road turning into the petrol station after the lights at #''#' cemetary

Not too far from home - I'll keep an eye out for it so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

MercMad wrote: »
    ..............havent seen one in a long time. That is a 1981 Dublin reg'd Fiesta "Festival", special edition. It had the black bumpers and wheels with emeblishers (now missing) which were 1/2" wider than standard. It had a side rubbing strip, fron headrests, radio, rear wash wipe and "Festival" badging on the back.
    Ford really knew how to do it didnt they!!Good to see a MK1 in reasonable shape!
    Picture_009_Small.jpg
    This mini looks 10 years old not 30!!:pVery tidy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Sorry about the crap photo but I haven't seen one of these old vans for ages. Dublin used to be littered with them.
    Picture_010_Small.jpg

I've seen that R4 around before. I believe it has 88-D plates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Aye very clean looking little Mini:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carina

The old opel can be seen outside Summerhill spares in the Coolock ind estate behind Tayto. There's a really nice opel record (berlina ?) sitting in a garden on Dundanniel rd near the oscar traynor road junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

mondymike wrote: »
    Its an opel anyway, but any guesses, it has a summerhill spares sticker on the back and looks like an early rekord or commodore

Shes a Commodore, as far as I know he uses it everyday!

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I've seen that R4 around before. I believe it has 88-D plates on it.
    Yep, spot on.
    Can't remember the last time I saw one.
    Back in the p&t days there seemed to be one on every street corner.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well done to TC 20 and to Merc Mad , this was a freudian slip, I inserted a pic of my friends w114 in error. However I did notice it afterwards but didn;t have time to change it, so decided I'd let it run and see what happened:D:D
    For the record , here is the real dash in my 280ce.
    As I said car is 100% original, and had one owner for 27 years. Have original unopened first aid kit, but think the second owner pinched the toolkit for another car. Would love to get one , if anyone knows where I might do.

That is one clean interior,id say well wear,but that isnt really the right thing to say is it...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

shawnee wrote:
    merc20280ce200031.jpg
    That's an incredibly clean interior for a 30 year old car! Apart from the seat belt, it looks like it rolled off the production line yesterday. Well done and good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I saw this beetle down in Rochestown, Cork earlier today. She was in great nick.

DSC00805.JPG

CianDon wrote: »
    I saw this beetle down in Rochestown, Cork earlier today. She was in great nick.

DSC00805.JPG
    ^good spot,nice reg too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Picture_006_Small.jpg
    A Mini in Cork Street.
    Picture_009_Small.jpg
    Picture_010_Small.jpg

Can you post that picture of the Renault 4 again? The link is broken

• Advertisement

Thanks Wishbone and carchaeologist, I would say being a two door coupe owned by an older lady, it is quite possible that "nobody" ever sat in the rear seat. However it does show the quality in the material that it hasn't faded or deteriorated atall. The interior sold the car to me as I didn't particularily like the white. However most of the time I am on the inside so the interior is a huge bonus.:P:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement