Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Cars - Immobiliser Problem?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me on this. I own a Ford Focus 1.4 LX (2006) and recently it has started giving me trouble. It was only serviced a few weeks ago and mechanic gave it the all clear and reprogrammed keys etc.

Basically what happens is when I go start the car, the key turns and all the lights on the dash come on but there is no sound from the engine. the mileage clock also just shows
    and the immobiliser light flashes very quickly. After waiting, it starts eventually.

Has anyone else experienced this with a Focus or any other Ford model? If so, what did you do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I have never came by that problem before. I suggest you get it looked at via a diagnostic computer and see are they any fault codes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

hi,

well I brought it to my local Ford Garage and paid 255 euro to have the transceiver replaced as they told me it was faulty. 2 days later, the same thing has happened!!!! Couldnt start the car last night. Am at my wits end with this. I'm waiting for them to call me back to see what they can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Have you tried starting it with different keys? How many keys do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pie-man

i presume they replaced the aerial coil that reads the transponder in the key. its even more likely it was replaced because there is a technical service bulletin refering to the problem your having. id imagen the tech working on your car read the fault codes from the relevant modules that are involved in the immo system then cross refernced the codes retrieved on puma system and based on a technical service bulletin replaced the aerial coil.

he should have tested the aerial coil strenght with an approiate device. then tested the key with an approiated device. if is not one of the two then you will find you have either a faulty module or a wiring issue between modules. to trace these faults load testing the wiring involved in the immo system will show any wiring faults or live data of modules concerned with a scan tool will show module faults in most cases. alot of times some eletrical contact cleaner on block connecters will solve issues similar to yours

fair enough it maybe a case that another component has failed in the immo system because ive seen this happen myself before. if it were me id be asking why they replaced this part. if there answer is it was faulty id asked how did you prove it was faulty at which point the service advisor will start stuttering......

hope this helps

Hi,

Just as an update- I've been to the garage three times now. Each time I have driven away and about 2 days later, the same thing has happened. Car fails to start, all lights on the dash come on, mileage clock is
    . If it does start, generally the EML light will be on for the duration of the journey.

Waiting for the garage to call me back again tomorrow.

Is there any onus on the garage to fix it seeing as though, they havent and have tried to already?

• Advertisement

Have you tried starting it with different keys? How many keys do you have?

have tried both keys- spare and the key with remote locking. The car can fail to start with both :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ranova

Hello

I have a green color ford from 1998 but I do not know where to get the color code. In which part of the car it's written. Can anyone there help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

ranova wrote: »
    Hello

I have a green color ford from 1998 but I do not know where to get the color code. In which part of the car it's written. Can anyone there help me?

Call or email ford with the reg and they will let you know.

Hi,

Just as an update- I've been to the garage three times now. Each time I have driven away and about 2 days later, the same thing has happened. Car fails to start, all lights on the dash come on, mileage clock is
    . If it does start, generally the EML light will be on for the duration of the journey.

Waiting for the garage to call me back again tomorrow.

Is there any onus on the garage to fix it seeing as though, they havent and have tried to already?
    Tell them could they try put in an instrument cluster from another focus and let you have a lend for a few days and see how you get on. Thats were the immobiliser is. That may sort the problem.

Thanks all. I'll let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I'll let you know how I get on!
    Yeah make sure you say that about the instrument cluster now, that can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Hi all,
    Ive got an '06 focus 1.6 zetec
    I'm having the very same problem but my problem seems to be more erratic. Sometimes its perfect but other times when I turn on the ignition it displays "engine systems fault" and wont start. Then if it does start it displays "reduced acceleration".
    Yesterday, for the first time it did the same as the OP's, just
    on the odometer.
    Had a guy in my local independent garage look at it, he's got all the diagnostics and stuff but no faults showed up. It was only when he saw it behaving erratically that he says he thinks he knows what the problem is.
    He said the unit in behind the cluster that controls the instruments could be faulty, he said its essentially an immobiliser problem.
    According to him, the only way to be sure its that is to replace it but its not worth changing it until he's 100% sure its that problem.
    The unit, he said, would cost ~€500 not including installation and programming which is a ford job...
    He said just keep going until it gives up completely if it ever does, then he can work out for definite what the cause is.

If you bring it to a Ford dealer a fault should show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrzees

I know i'm replying to 3 year old thread, but I'm having the same problem. I have a ford focus 2008 MK2.5. My LCD for my instrument cluster has malfunctioned even though the gauges are working. I got a used cluster from another ford focus. Within three minutes of changing to the replacement/used cluster, the car would start but the immobiliser light flashes quickly. If I try to start the car after about 5 minutes the immobiliser activates and the car won't start. What do I need to do to use the used/replacement cluster that I bought? If I don't get this sorted out I'll never be able to see my mileage or warning codes. Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pie-man

It possible to code it on Ford IDS. PM me as a friend of mine has this equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

mrzees wrote: »
    I know i'm replying to 3 year old thread, but I'm having the same problem. I have a ford focus 2008 MK2.5. My LCD for my instrument cluster has malfunctioned even though the gauges are working. I got a used cluster from another ford focus. Within three minutes of changing to the replacement/used cluster, the car would start but the immobiliser light flashes quickly. If I try to start the car after about 5 minutes the immobiliser activates and the car won't start. What do I need to do to use the used/replacement cluster that I bought? If I don't get this sorted out I'll never be able to see my mileage or warning codes. Help!

how did you get on , i'm having the same problem and my mechanic checked all the faults and reckons the dash will have to be sent away and reprogrammed all at a cost of over 300 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrzees

I didn't get the problem solved as yet. Presently the old cluster is still on the dash and the 'working but used cluster' is stored away. I met a lock smith who said he knew a guy who could help, but it sounded so sketchy that I declined to meet the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I got mine sorted for a fraction of the cost i was quoted . Pm me if u want details

• Registered Users Posts: 1 painter33

I know this thread has been down for a long time now but I'm having the same problem with my 06 Focus. Ford garage just quoted me 1150 euro for a new instrument cluster (with labour costs). After reading this thread I am very hesitant especially if the problem will be a persistent one. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

painter33 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem with my 06 Focus.
    This thread have gone from immobiliser through paint code to dash problems so it is difficult to understand what problem you are referring to.

Please create a brand new thread with as much detail as you can.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement