Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cms :(

• 28-04-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've designed a website in Dreamweaver, it's has it's own domain and hosted.
    I have the design pretty much done and to my liking. I thought I could edit it with new content pretty easily with Dreamweaver but seems thats not the case.
    Could anyone advise me with how to add a cms relatively easily?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

You know when you edit the files locally you have to upload them again for your changes to take effect? If it is written in PHP can you use the include function? Then there is a flat file CMS called Pulse http://pulsecms.com/ where you add the tags into where you want content outputted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If you're going to move your design to a CMS you're going to have to either a/ lose some of the design elements you like to make your design fit the CMS template or b/ work very, very hard to make the CMS template match your current design, and unless you have a lot of experience b isn't really going to be a realistic option.

If your site is a simple brochure site and you don't need a database behind it you could also try a snippet editing script like http://www.snippetmaster.com - you define the editable areas when you are creating the pages and then you can edit those areas through a browser interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I found modx easy to skin it has a nice editing interface too

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Hi,
    Yeah It's just that I find editing text with Dreamweaver can be all over the place, I type some text and then the next line ends up half way down the page. I'll look into those suggested thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

colly_06 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yeah It's just that I find editing text with Dreamweaver can be all over the place, I type some text and then the next line ends up half way down the page. I'll look into those suggested thanks very much.
    Would you considering editing the text is Notepad?

• Advertisement

Hi,

Dreamweaver isn't the problem so, your design/code is. Sort that out and you'll be able to update your site using dw no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Hi Colly,

I dont see how adding CMS to a site can be considered a big deal what so ever and it should definitely never impact on your design as long are your not moving elements around. I've used a number of CMS applications and I can recommend either cushycms for free or if your willing to pay, Adobe contribute.

With cushy CMS you simply need to wrap a cushycms Div container around the elements you want to manage. When you add your site to CushyCMS it will give you a WYSIWIG editor that imo is far better at editing text than Dreamweaver. Contribute is even easier!

Suck it and see, Im sure you'll be fine!

Regards
    Ross

Thanks for the advice Ross. I've just installed snippet master and it seems to be doing the job well, I'll defintely be looking into Adobe Contribute.

Thanks

Hi.
    Didn't want to start a new thread, still having problems with text in Dreamweaver.
    I've created a div, it's 205 pixels wide and 145 pixels high, anyway when I enter the first line of text in it it's fine, then I press enter to go onto the next line but it brings the first text line a line down.

Any advice? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Its obv very hard for anyone to help you with such little information...

OnTopic........

Is there any CMS that works well with a site made entirely of .php pages? Or do they all work with it? Any advice is welcome.

• Advertisement

Hi.
    Didn't want to start a new thread, still having problems with text in Dreamweaver.
    I've created a div, it's 205 pixels wide and 145 pixels high, anyway when I enter the first line of text in it it's fine, then I press enter to go onto the next line but it brings the first text line a line down.

Any advice? Cheers

Before you press return the text has no tags assigned to it, as soon you press it it gets wrapped in a <p> tag, so the problem probably lies with whatever values <p> has in your style sheet

I tried edting the <p> properties but no luck.
    I'll put up a diagram of my problem:

Here's what I want,
    11t21cp.jpg

Here's what I'm getting,
    24kzaj4.jpg

Oh man I got it,
    Just needed the <br> tag.

:o

Oh man I got it,