Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Player on Samsung Smart TV

Options
  • 04-08-2015 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭

I've just bought my first smart TV - went out to get a TV and ended up with a Smart TV. It's a Samsung UE43J5500AKXXU, and I love it, just as a TV.

I've never used a Smart TV before so I have an easy question. Can I get the RTE player app, and if so, where? I've browsed some apps and haven't been able to find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

vienne86 wrote: »
    I've just bought my first smart TV - went out to get a TV and ended up with a Smart TV. It's a Samsung UE43J5500AKXXU, and I love it, just as a TV.

I've never used a Smart TV before so I have an easy question. Can I get the RTE player app, and if so, where? I've browsed some apps and haven't been able to find it.

It should show up in the Samsung app store. Check under the "most popular" or "video" sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Venom wrote: »
    It should show up in the Samsung app store. Check under the "most popular" or "video" sections.

Couldn't find it, but it's probaby me being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

vienne86 wrote: »
    Couldn't find it, but it's probaby me being stupid.

I googled your TV and noticed its using the new Tizen OS. It's more than likely there is no RTE app out for it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Venom wrote: »
    I googled your TV and noticed its using the new Tizen OS. It's more than likely there is no RTE app out for it at the moment.

Ah thanks for that - not at home at the moment, but will check again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Still not there? Does it have 3player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

Tizen is very new and obscure I wouldn't expect much from it. The only real presence Tizen has is in China and Samsung shipping it on some of their latest TV sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think they're shipping it on all their 2015 models, or at least those not at the very bottom of the range. I looked into when buying a new TV but ended up with a 2014 model anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Yes .. just got this telly yesterday... so RTE player is still not available... however 3Player and TG4 are there

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Still not there as of Today. Just bought two J5500 TV's with the understanding that the RTE player would be there. I have two others, F Series, and RTE player is working fine. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

catfax wrote: »
    Tizen is very new and obscure I wouldn't expect much from it. The only real presence Tizen has is in China and Samsung shipping it on some of their latest TV sets.

Tizen is Linux based, shouldn't be an issue.. I say shouldn't, but...:(

Update on this from RTE;

Thanks for getting in touch. We have a new app update for newer Samsung Connected TVs in development presently but no set date for its release unfortunately.

Best Wishes,

Nigel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MuintirTigh

Tizen is Linux based, shouldn't be an issue.. I say shouldn't, but...:(

Update on this from RTE;

Thanks for getting in touch. We have a new app update for newer Samsung Connected TVs in development presently but no set date for its release unfortunately.

Best Wishes,

Nigel

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone has an update on this from rte or found a way to work around it?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Is there any update on when RTÉ Player may become available on this TV and is 4oD working on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

I have the rte player app on a 4 year old Samsung Smart TV. The problem is (and has been for a while) no sound plays! As far as I can make out I have both the latest firmware and version of the app. Mind you the "latest" version of the app is dated 21/01/15.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the rte player app on a 4 year old Samsung Smart TV. The problem is (and has been for a while) no sound plays! As far as I can make out I have both the latest firmware and version of the app. Mind you the "latest" version of the app is dated 21/01/15.

Exactly the problem with 'Smart' TVs, the manufacturer loses interest after a couple of years and you're left high and dry.

I emailed them about it for the Tizen OS and they said they are in the late stages of development of the app but still there is no release date as of yet. "we'd hopeful of a release in the near future. But as of yet we have no release date details

Thanks, Peter"

It's now available in the app store. Really good app that works on my 2 Mbps connection with no problems. It works better than the tablet apps and the web page!

Advertisement