Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pacific Rim 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

John Boyega signs on to Pacific Rim 2 with his company co-producing it. Steven S. De Knight was already announced as director, taking over from Del Toro, who will produce it.

Boyega will play the son of Idris Elba's character from the first film, Stacker Pentecost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Disappointed Del Toro is out but happy with his replacement choice, thank **** it didnt go to Bay or some other hack

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cailee Spaeney and Scott Eastwood will co star and it is set for release on 23rd February 2018

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/cailee-spaeny-cast-in-pacific-rim-sequel-1201861762/

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Man I cant wait for this film. Literally one of the few films ill be going to the cinema to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Feels kinda sneak peekish crossed with a teaser..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Slydice wrote: »
    Feels kinda sneak peekish crossed with a teaser..

Really doubled down on the GLaDOS voice there....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

My only slight issue is the silhouetted shots of the Jaegers at the end. They all look a little same-y. I liked the original designs because they looked quite distinct. Hopefully the final film introduces more unique types.

Otacon wrote: »
    My only slight issue is the silhouetted shots of the Jaegers at the end. They all look a little same-y. I liked the original designs because they looked quite distinct. Hopefully the final film introduces more unique types.

Hopefully the jaegers look less ****ty than from that trailer, they look awful. Like cartoons.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Massive input lag on jaeger movement - how on earth can they fight like that?

Also, the impression I get is the jaegers are being used to fight for a revolution - either its an odd direction for the movie or I got a weird vibe off the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I think this movie wil focus on the "people" I dont want to watch the people, I want to watch giant robots fighting ****.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I think this movie wil focus on the "people" I dont want to watch the people, I want to watch giant robots fighting ****.

If this movie is going to be worth its salt it needs to focus on the Masters and not humans. It needs to be a fight on their planet with Category 19 Kaijus the size of greek bloody Titans!! Im sick to death of 'Alien' movies that are all about humans. Literally the only good 'Alien' movie is well Alien and that wasnt even just because of the Xenomorphs but the Space Jockey....which they completely fooked up with Prometheus and Covenant

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

one thing I saw pointed out - a quite big thing actually. Only one pilot in that teaser.

one thing I saw pointed out - a quite big thing actually. Only one pilot in that teaser.

Idris Elba could solo in the 1st one, think they mentioned it was rare not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

As others alluded to, the premise of the first was good but overall the film bored the hole off me. Twas a hard slog to get through and stay awake

As others alluded to, the premise of the first was good but overall the film bored the hole off me. Twas a hard slog to get through and stay awake

Hmmm the film flew through for me, right from the start to finish it had my full attention, I was disappointed when it was over.

Ive watched all other similar films from King Kong, Godzilla to Transformers, Cloverfield and none of them come close to the level and pace set in Pacific Rim. It really raised the bar for these types of movies, pure eye candy at its finest.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Idris Elba could solo in the 1st one, think they mentioned it was rare not impossible.

Yeah but it ****ed him up, thats why he had to take them pills and kept getting those nose bleeds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

nix wrote: »
    Yeah but it ****ed him up, thats why he had to take them pills and kept getting those nose bleeds

Maybe the science guys do better science to make it work so one person can link to and control the gigantic robot.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Maybe the science guys do better science to make it work so one person can link to and control the gigantic robot.

Yeah i figure they are going down that route, save them from explaining the complexity of the drift compatibility again..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First impressions are a bit ... hmm, I dunno. Maybe I'm misremembering the first too fondly, but all the Jaeger action in that trailer felt too ... floaty & without any of the heft and weight I'd expect from towering, giant robots. I'm pretty sure the first film better nailed that notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Mr E wrote: »

Maybe it's the inner child in me but it looks promising. Kinda disappointed that Charlie Hunman isn't reprising his role though, unless we get some sorta cameo. Impressed by John Boyega in it though, he seems to have rose to superstardom since Star Wards VII.

That was awesome then it annoyed me, the fight in Shanghai in the 1st is one of the best SFX scenes in recent history. The city they are standing in front look likes Spiderman on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looks good. They seem to have addressed the critism of the first one that all the fights were in the darkness. Lots of daylight action happening there. I agree with the comment above though that it doesn't feel as weighty as the first one. Everything in PR was slow and heavy, this has Jaegars sprinting and jumping around like Transformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It looks like they're moving into the land of transformers.

Michael Bay transformers like. Not Transformers Transformers.. more Bay transformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

pixelburp wrote: »
    First impressions are a bit ... hmm, I dunno. Maybe I'm misremembering the first too fondly, but all the Jaeger action in that trailer felt too ... floaty & without any of the heft and weight I'd expect from towering, giant robots. I'm pretty sure the first film better nailed that notion.

Thought the same as well, it just looks like men in suits if you didn't know how tall they were. Del Toro definitely nailed that aspect when he shot the jaegers movement, they looked and felt 'huge'. As a big fan of the first one, that trailer left me a bit underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Anyone else getting a Power Rangers vibe. Maybe it's the daytime setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

The first must have made money.it would explain why they made a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anyone else getting a Power Rangers vibe. Maybe it's the daytime setting.

Yes , right? That’s what I thought.

I thought it was a terrible trailer and whoever put it together couldn’t of made it look anymore crap if they tried. I will go and see this anyways cause I enjoye the first but I don’t know what people saw to be so encouraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can only make the same comment as before; looks like all sense of scale or heft is gone. The jaegers just come off like Transformers, pirouetting, sliding and jumping transformers at that. Think I'm going to pass.

Advertisement