Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found a Safe.

• 18-02-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Apon clearing out my shed in my newly purchased house/property I found a safe. It's a floor safe and incased in concrete. It's opened by a key, which I do not have. Written on the safe door is the details of the locksmith who installed it. The previous owner is deceased, so I don't know who else knows about it.

So I want to open it. But I can't decide what to do.

Easy option is to ring the locksmith and have him open it. But what about the contents of the safe? I doubt there's anything valuable in it, but there could be. The locksmith might notify the previous owners family. Or am I now the legal owner of whatever the safe contains?

I could hire a criminal to open it, but he'd want his share and probably murder me if it contained anything substantial.

Or inorder to have complete secrecy I could dig the it out, it would be a hard job. Chisel and hammer, it would take ages. And then use a angle grinder to open It, but the sparks might burn whatever is contained.

So what would you do? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You don't need to call the locksmith that installed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Thermite

Or coke and mentos.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

I doubt you need to dig it out, post a picture of the top of it and someone will let you know how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

You should be entitled to legally have the safe opened as you own the property around the safe.

So I would success contacting the safe-maker or their own next-of-kin to help in opening the safe.

The ownership and property of the contents would depend on what is actual inside? I would suggest legal documents including deeds, mortgages, wills, motor registrations aren't automatically yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Thinly veiled "i have money for a new house" thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Son0vagun wrote: »
    inorder to have complete secrecy

I think we're past that point...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Call me if it contains my wife's sex drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Well, don't call Michael Caine anyway. Throw it off a walkover around 4am when nobodies about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I'm on my phone so don't know how to post a picture of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You could always drill the locking mechanisim

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Fannyhead

Post a pic of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Depending on the age of the safe you could probably open it yourself.

But if it contains angered souls you may not want to. Unless you can train them, is that even possible? Can ghosts be trained? I used to think my dog couldn't be trained but now he barks on command! I love my dog. I wish I had a ghost that barked on command though! That'd be cool. Unlikely though. Maybe you could teach them to fly in circles or something. I wonder what they're like. They could be really angry about being locked in a safe. Or maybe they'd like you for letting them out. It would be mean to leave them in there and if they're from really long ago they could have cool stories. Man, I wish I had a safe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How to Open a Safe Without a Key

If you lost the key to your safe, there's still hope.
    Many people use safes to keep their possessions protected against thieves or fires. Understandably, there may be nothing more frustrating than losing the key to your safe. However, you can open your safe without the key. You just have to be a little crafty and willing to use some "elbow grease" to get it open.
    Other People Are Reading
    How to Open a Lock Without a Key How to Open a Firesafe Safe Without the Key

Things You'll Need:
    Table
    Screwdriver
    Paper clip
    Tweezers

Instructions
    Move the safe to a table under good lighting so you can work on the lock more easily.

Use the tip of a small flathead screwdriver to insert where the key would go. Turn until the lock disengages.

Bend a paper clip until straight if the screwdriver did not work. Insert one end of the paper clip into the upper part of the keyhole. Hold it in place.

Insert your tweezers beneath the paper clip. Turn the tweezers until both paper clip and tweezers slip deeper into the lock, engaging the inner chamber. This may make a noise or feel like a solid shift.

Turn the tweezers and the paper clip counter-clockwise at the exact same time. Continue to turn until the lock disengages and pops open. Avoid locking the safe until you can find the key.
    eHow. I think you can skip the table part.
    If it doesn't work, resort to coke and mentos like previsouly suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

Chisel and hammer,

Hire a kango. We be past that stone age s**t....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I wouldn't go digging it up or anything. Try getting it opened professionally and maybe getting a new key made for it. Could be a very useful thing to have yourself assuming it's a decent enough safe and hasn't suffered water ingress.

As for any possible contents.. guess you have to wait and see. I doubt the Locksmith would be obliged to notify anyone but if it was anything of non monetary value to the old owners family...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Can you not take a photo with your phone and upload it to imgur.com or http://imageshack.us/?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I'll sort you out with the right locksmith and we can split the share then?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

beter safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Didn't we have this thread before a year or so ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

I'm on my phone so don't know how to post a picture of it.

You could try using the camera function on your phone?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Didn't we have this thread before a year or so ago?

I dunno, go have a looksee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Thud

Doubt there is anything too complex about the locking mechanism in an old floor safe usually just a chubb style lock encased in steel, would guesstimate that you should be able to drill the lock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Archeron

Did you like it?
    Did it taste like cherry chapstick?

Seachmall wrote: »
    I dunno, go have a looksee.

arft arft, I can tell you from last time, there is nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

looksee wrote: »

I'll have a quick looksee.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thud wrote: »
    Doubt there is anything too complex about the locking mechanism in an old floor safe usually just a chubb style lock encased in steel, would guesstimate that you should be able to drill the lock

The safe itself could be worth a few quid. A decent locksmith would have it open in no time and without damaging it.

http://www.hamillandson.com/#!vstc0=services

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I think that once you legally own the property then you own the safe aswell .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Call me if it contains my wife's sex drive.

she still had it the other night ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement