Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Media Player

Options
  • 28-09-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. I've been trying for months to get my home TV setup the way I want it but I just can't get it working right. Basically I want something similar to Plex but on my TV, without the need to turn my laptop on (to run the Plex server) every time i want to watch something.

I have a portable external hard drive loaded with all my movies and TV shows and i would ideally like some sort of box under my TV that i can plug this into and it will sort and add all the stuff the Plex usually does with all the nice menus etc :) . So all i will have to do is turn on my TV, select the input for the box, and there's all my media ready to be played straight away without the need for streaming across a home network or anything like that.

I've tried numerous times to get Plex to work on my TV (chrome cast, home network etc.) but its given me that much trouble I've just given up.

Any suggestions?

Hope I've explained this clear enough. Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Gary_89 wrote: »
    Hi. I've been trying for months to get my home TV setup the way I want it but I just can't get it working right. Basically I want something similar to Plex but on my TV, without the need to turn my laptop on (to run the Plex server) every time i want to watch something.

I have a portable external hard drive loaded with all my movies and TV shows and i would ideally like some sort of box under my TV that i can plug this into and it will sort and add all the stuff the Plex usually does with all the nice menus etc :) . So all i will have to do is turn on my TV, select the input for the box, and there's all my media ready to be played straight away without the need for streaming across a home network or anything like that.

I've tried numerous times to get Plex to work on my TV (chrome cast, home network etc.) but its given me that much trouble I've just given up.

Any suggestions?

Hope I've explained this clear enough. Thanks for any help :)

Raspberry Pi 2 runing XBMC (openelec) or Kaiser Base (running XBMC for android)
    Both approx €100 (with/without case power supply keyboard etc) Pi wins ( the amount of plugins etc) but suffers power loss when using some USB HDD's - causing them not to be seen/mounted . Kaiser wins as more versatile ( will except more drives ) but loses in OS ageism - old version of android but rooted from memory .

~Sol

Advertisement