Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership problem

• 10-05-2015 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

At the start of the year I gave my old car to a friend of mine to sell. He sold it and all was well.
    Now I am getting parking tickets and the like sent to me.
    Turns out the buyer promised to send away the change of ownership form and my mate gave it to them.
    They obviously never sent it so the car is still in my name.
    To make things worse he can't find any details of the person he sold it to.

Any idea what I can do to sort this out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

<not helpful>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ring Shannon and tell them the date you handed it to your friend. You essentially disposed of it at that stage, although that may be on you to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Call Shannon.

Tell them everything and say form was sent off right away and you never thought of keeping a copy.

Call into your local garda station also as they will able to red flag the car on anpr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

A lady friend of mine sold her car last year to a guy, but she slipped up in the sale. She gave him the change of ownership book to sign but he said I'm in a rush and if you don't mind I'll take it with me and sign it later and post it in. Boom, he never sent it back in and now he is saying that a girl passenger was injured in a crash and their solicitor is looking for large compensation thinking my friend is still the owner.

Be careful selling a car or van out there, and never ever let the purchaser take the book. You are the only one that should make sure that the new owner signs it or if they try this, tell them the sale is cancelled until they sign it, and you post it off.

I'm not sure what is going to happen to this friend in such a case, but one simple mistake can cost you for sure.

Always keep a copy of the log book and you can't always get them to fill the log book as car dealers don't put their name on it as they would be selling on.

What I have done in the past is always photo copy or scan both sides of log book and a copy of the other persons details with a signature.

• Advertisement

A lady friend of mine sold her car last year to a guy, but she slipped up in the sale. She gave him the change of ownership book to sign but he said I'm in a rush and if you don't mind I'll take it with me and sign it later and post it in. Boom, he never sent it back in and now he is saying that a girl passenger was injured in a crash and their solicitor is looking for large compensation thinking my friend is still the owner.

Be careful selling a car or van out there, and never ever let the purchaser take the book. You are the only one that should make sure that the new owner signs it or if they try this, tell them the sale is cancelled until they sign it, and you post it off.

I'm not sure what is going to happen to this friend in such a case, but one simple mistake can cost you for sure.

They won't get anywhere with that.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Report it to the Garda as well, there may be some illegal activity around the new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Thanks all for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Always keep a copy of the log book and you can't always get them to fill the log book as car dealers don't put their name on it as they would be selling on.

If you sell your car to a dealer, you complete an RF200 form which you send to the motor tax office, that includes a dealer number and the car is then registered to them, not you.

No matter who you are selling your car too, the responsibility is with you to ensure you are no longer named as the registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

kagni wrote: »
    At the start of the year I gave my old car to a friend of mine to sell. He sold it and all was well.
    Now I am getting parking tickets and the like sent to me.
    Turns out the buyer promised to send away the change of ownership form and my mate gave it to them.
    They obviously never sent it so the car is still in my name.
    To make things worse he can't find any details of the person he sold it to.

Any idea what I can do to sort this out?

My motto is never take anything and I mean ANYTHING for granted. There are enough resources available nowadays to make sure that you follow basic rules. You must assume from the outset that the other person has the potential to exploit any situation and car trading is at the top of the list.
    The seller sends in the documents....
    Follow the rules to the letter!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My motto is never take anything and I mean ANYTHING for granted. There are enough resources available nowadays to make sure that you follow basic rules. You must assume from the outset that the other person has the potential to exploit any situation and car trading is at the top of the list.
    The seller sends in the documents....
    Follow the rules to the letter!

That! Always, always, always.

Advertisement