Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Back Passanger Side Wheel brake sticking

• 11-05-2015 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi
    I drive a 2010 VW Polo 1.6 Diesel

Back brake on passanger side is sticking

If you don't drive the car for a day or so or weather is wet, when you start the car and put it in gear , the car doesn't move for a couple seconds and you can feel a tightness at the back passanger wheel

After couple seconds this frees up and releases

If car is in reverse it appears like there was something behind the back passenger wheel that the car is trying to get over

Once you driving you don't notice this apart from in damp weather you can sometimes have a screeching sound coming from the back passenger wheel side that stops after a while

I don't know what brake type the car has - is its drum brakes or disk brakes

Job for the garage I guess -

What do people think and what needs to get repaired/replaced and how much will this cost or is there any way can fix this myself?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do you use the handbrake when you park it up? It could be sticky, best get it checked by your mechanic all the same. You could try not using the handbrake, and leaving the car in gear (chock a wheel with a brick if you're concerned about anything happening...).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

It found like a sticking handbrake all right.

I would be inclined to get it fixed rather than not use it. Shouldn't be a big or expensive job

A quick look will tell you whether you have discs or drums at the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Passport1 wrote: »
    What do people think and what needs to get repaired/replaced and how much will this cost or is there any way can fix this myself?
    Unless you're already handy DIY then leave it to a garage.
    Brakes isn't the first thing you should cut your DIY teeth on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

biko wrote: »
    Brakes isn't the first thing you should cut your DIY teeth on.

It was mine 😌

Advertisement