Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question re: hiring a van.

• 10-05-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently been getting prices for hiring a van for a day to do some shifting of stuff.

The prices from the companies involved include insurance.

But I was wondering if you had a bump in the hired van, does it affect your own private car insurance or are they 2 completely separate policies? Would your car insurer have to be told or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Full disclosure , you should tell them and then your policy/renewal will go up.
    Sure look at getting a quote , they ask how many years no claims and then have you had an accident/claim in the last 5 years

Some lads that hire vans let you transfer your insurance to the van instead of using their insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah but when they ask have you had an accident, you could take that as being on your own insurance. I take it when you hire a van from a reputable company, the 24hr policy you pay for is totally standalone, and is independent from your own?

You are paying a part of the hire fee to cover insurance, if you crash then surely it's for their insurance to cover it, that's why you paid for it. You don't set out to crash, but it shouldn't affect your own personal insurance IMHO.

I get the full disclosure thing and all, but would we all really own up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

NIMAN wrote: »

I get the full disclosure thing and all,?

I don't think you do......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think I'd agree with OP on this.

How does an accident claim on a rental (with rental insurance) affect your private insurance? Your NCB/address/occupation don't affect the price for rental insurance as it's a separate entity.

Advertisement