Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to use Home Stereo as an Amp?

• 19-12-2004 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've read about this before.. so how do i go about making my stereo an amp for my electric guitar?

Don't have the money right now to buy myself an amp.. so a temp amp will have to do.

I've got the amp lead... what else do i need? A converter?

Any help much apppreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Simple. Don't. It's not going to sound any good unless you're putting something like a POD into it.

IT can be done by finding out what inputs your stereo has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Er, don't do it. At least, not without some kind of preamp.

Get yourself a microcube for a mere €120, or ask for one for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OK, grand so!

Thanks for the advice! Will invest in an amp after the Xmas then.

Also heard hooking up to the stereo can blow your speakers fairly easily..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

dunno, ive often used my stereo as an amp. it sounds absolutly terrible but it works. defo not a long term thing though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

For the sake of €120 though, would you do it?

€120, get a little microcube, it'll sound infinately better than a home stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dpmasunder

You can plug a Pod or V-Amp into a stereo, apart from that kind of thing don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

and yes it can **** up your speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

man from an electronics point of view just dont!!!
    if you get really stuck use the soundcard on your pc(you can also download recording software etc... which is a plus) it should be able to handle it. just plug and play simple-if i were you i'd just buy a crappy practice amp off someone for less than 50 quid,it'll do for the time being or just get a fender mini twin tiny little amp but its only about $10-$15 on ebay which im sure is less than the cost of your stereo. it'll get you by til you've got the cash for a decent amp.

Advertisement