Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

So, whatever happened to the remakes of FFV and VI? I definitely remember Square saying FFIV on the DS was just the beginning. I wonder what happened, did it not sell well or something?

Would you guys rather have a 3D remake on 3DS / Vita ala FFIV DS or a cleaned up redrawn FFIV like in the complete collection?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The reason is that the current head of Squares Mobile and Handheld division is Takashi Tokita. He was the writer and designer of FFIV so it was his baby and that's why there's so many remakes and re-releases of that game. He says FFV and FFVI are other peoples games which is why he doesn't want to mess around and remake them in anyway. Even the remake of FFIII was basically unchanged in terms of gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

megaten wrote: »

No. Way. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rumours say it's a The world ends with you sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The World Ends With You is one of the truly great JRPGs of recent times (and one that had a new, innovative battle system that wasn't a load of arse), so here's hoping!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Rumours say it's a The world ends with you sequel.

Ofc! Dat music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=445abkZlWKU

edit: Heh, you know what? wouldn't it be hilarious if it was costume DLC for 13-2 or some **** lmao.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So persona 2 and trails in the sky are 17.99 each on psn store,can only get one,which one would ye pick?

Trails in the Sky unless you like rock hard dungeon crawlers.

Shin Megami Tensei IV trailer. Watch it before Atlus pull it:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

It looks pretty promising.

There's not much there to go on. I'm loving the art, looks like Kaneko is back on the art side of things. Also the Lead developer of Nocturne is on board, only good things can come from that. It could be a return to the old style SMT storytelling, it seems to me that there's four characters, the MC, the law hero, chaos hero and a neutral female hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

This isn't really a JRPG query but I was playing a bit of the US PSN download of FFVIII and has anyone noticed that the PS3 messes up the aspect ratio of PS1 games? The borders are far bigger than they should be, Squall is a stick. I know what 4:3 should look like as I've watched Always Sunny and Twin Peaks on Netflix using the same console. Even when you stretch it to full screen there are borders on the left and right sides.

It's because it's a PAL game. The aspect ratio is already messed up with the borders on the top and bottom of the screen. It's why I keep telling people to only buy PS1 games from the US PSN. If you are playing the games on a 16:9 TV then the correct aspect ratio should have borders on the left and right side of the screen since these games were made for 4:3 TVs not widescreen 16:9 TVs.

Like I said, it's the US PSN version. I'm aware of the differences between PAL and NTSC releases.

On my PSP, the borders are the right size. The screen is as big as it should be without being stretched

On my PS3, it's way too narrow. It's boxed shape, which isn't what 4:3 should look like. None of the screen settings fix it, only make it even narrower or too wide.

edit: Attachment is how it should look.

Just tried out a few games on my PS3, I don't have the FF games to test and it looks fine, maybe you are just used to wisescreen and think it's shorter? I even tried out my NES which had a little narrower on the x axis which makes sense since it's a NTSC machine running at 254 instead of 320 pixels on the x axis like a PS1 would.

I thought it looked very boxy myself because I'm used to widescreen stretching games and making things look fat but I measured it. It's a perfect 4:3 aspect ratio. I tried this on both american and Japanese games.

Thanks for checking that out. I think it might actually just be a thing with PSN downloads and not disc based games. I tried my PAL FFVII and it was as I remembered it, a little chubby but it was the 'correct' size for a PAL ps1 game.

Did some looking online.This guy has the same problem it seems

It's definitely not a problem of perception on my part anyway. It's quite a dramatic difference. if I had a camera or some way of taking a PS3 screenshot I'd show it. The PS1 logo looks like it has bulimia. MGS1 has the same issue. I might have a look again later to see if there are any other options which fix it.

edit: had another look and changing the smoothing option seemed to fix it. Not sure why though.

New FFXIII announced. Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns (with a revengeance).

snausages wrote: »
    edit: had another look and changing the smoothing option seemed to fix it. Not sure why though.

I always play with filters off so that explains it :)

snausages wrote: »
    New FFXIII announced. Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns (with a revengeance).

I'd buy Raiden costume DLC with revengeance amirite?

• Advertisement

Shin Megami Tensei 4, new trailer showing dungeons and combat:

Looks like the Persona dungeons mixed with Strange Journey's combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks like the Persona dungeons mixed with Strange Journey's combat.

Pretty much the perfect combination in my eyes.

Looks like a Female protagonist and a bit of a strange SMT party consisting of 3 females and one male, whereas it's usually one female to three males.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Want....

Linking into this, is there an english patch out there for Namco X Capcom or has anyone played it?

I saw Tron Bonne in the trailer, I'm sold! There is an english fan translation of Namco x Capcom. The game isn't meant to be that great, has some problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Project X-Zone looks the business. Can't imagine an EU release is on the cards though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Was going to say looks like the same animators from Gurren Lagann but thats probably cause they are in the game. Seen hack sign in there...im sold ^____^
    penev10 wrote: »
    Project X-Zone looks the business. Can't imagine an EU release is on the cards though :(

I know the PSP isn't getting as many western localisations these days...is it the same for 3DS as well?

HG101 article on shadow hearts:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shadowhearts/shadowhearts.htm

I've only played the first two games, kodelka was interesting but ultimately crap and I found shadow hearts a bit dull but supposedly the series gets fantastic for SH2 and 3.

Short Suikoden 2 piece. Contains major spoilers:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9113670

• Advertisement

After beating FFVII PC not too long ago I figured I'd might replay FFX. After all, that HD re-release doesn't look to be coming out any time soon. It's the one FF that I haven't really returned to much over the years. Only 40 minutes in and I had forgotten just how slow-paced the beginning is. One of the unfortunate effects of voice-acting I guess, you can't just skim-read what the characters are saying and get on with things.

Advertisement