Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

mysterious wrote: »
    For common sense reasons (with the interurbans finishing, population increases along the N7, M7 widening to 3 lanes)
    I would like to see the Rathcoole to Redcow future proofed, with NX been wide enough for provision of a fourth lane in the future. I think it would be logical to make it wider anyhow.

One word - why? Why is it common sense? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong per se with upgrading Newlands Cross (it's a no brainer) but why would any sane person want to widen the NX to 4 lanes?!?!?

Somehow, I feel I'll get a bad reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

HonalD wrote: »
    One word - why? Why is it common sense? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong per se with upgrading Newlands Cross (it's a no brainer) but why would any sane person want to widen the NX to 4 lanes?!?!?

If he hadn't been banned some time back, you'd have just opened a massive can of worms lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

:):D
    HonalD wrote: »

dont worry you wont get a reaction.
    Hysterious is gone and will not return.
    banned for ever.

edit
    beaten to it.
    not only banned from here but banned from boards. yeah.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what is the cost for this project? is it not possible to make the mainline n7 an underpass? with a signal controlled junction above it, like ballymount interchange or is it possible to costruct a non signal controlled roundabout over an underpass? then you only have to wait to go straight or right...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That option was the other proposed and was rejected based on grounds of cost and extended disruption. I'd have prefered it, its far less unsightly and has worked well at the N4 Newcastle Road junction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MYOB wrote: »
    That option was the other proposed and was rejected based on grounds of cost and extended disruption. I'd have prefered it, its far less unsightly and has worked well at the N4 Newcastle Road junction.
    Yea me and the GF live nearby and agreed that too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Underpasses are a flood risk. If we have a cloudburst they can turn into a lake. The Newcastle road one is on a hill above the liffey and can be drained _somehow_ ( probably back towards the Spa) but the N7 is on a plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

rameire wrote: »
    :):D

dont worry you wont get a reaction.
    Hysterious is gone and will not return.
    banned for ever.

edit
    beaten to it.
    not only banned from here but banned from boards. yeah.

Bring him back - I miss proving him wrong!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bring him back - I miss proving him wrong!! :D
    Yea I have to say I miss him too! He was so entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Not sure if this has come up before but I'm just going to throw out an idea I have about a temporary solution for this junction until the upgrade. :o

Why don't they close access at the cross between the Belgard Rd and Fonthill Rd. And if access is required between these roads or if the wish to turn right on to the Naas Rd, then traffic should turn left onto the Naas Rd and use either the Kingswood Jtn or the Monastery Rd Bridge Jtn to get.

Not ideal of course, but this should provide temporary relief, allowing the main flow of traffic on the Naas Rd to move, preventing (I hope) a tailback onto the M50, unless I have missed something? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Underpasses are a flood risk. If we have a cloudburst they can turn into a lake. The Newcastle road one is on a hill above the liffey and can be drained _somehow_ ( probably back towards the Spa) but the N7 is on a plain.

Indeed back in 2008 the underpass on the Westlink in Belfast flooded after here was a huge cloud-burst:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQPE6QzZpY&NR=1%22]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQPE6QzZpY&NR=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

dubhthach wrote: »
    Indeed back in 2008 the underpass on the Westlink in Belfast flooded after here was a huge cloud-burst:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQPE6QzZpY&NR=1%22]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQPE6QzZpY&NR=1

But mostly because there are two rivers in culverts under this underpass - there wasn't magically 10m of rain or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The NRA will announce the contractor on 22 October and the contract will be signed in December, pending DoT approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

These Artist Impressions look great but just a quick question :D

Am I right in saying that if or when this is complete that it is going to create a much bigger back log of traffic heading down the N7 southbound
    Specifically at the ball at naas where the N7 meets the M7

Over the past few months it has already been building up and is heavier at commuting times.
    But if/when this goes ahead its going to mean a continious flow of traffic and an even bigger backlog trying to get
    (correct me if I'm wrong)
    But I can see the M7 being torn up again and spread to 3 lanes (which they should have done after the first re-vamp):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The plan until recently was for the M7 to have had 3 lanes extended to the M9 junction, but this has been scrapped.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maudlins is too far down to get made any worse by freeflowing NX. The same volume of traffic will hit it at the same time.

There are economically-suspended plans to widen the M7 to 3 lanes between Maudlins and the M9 turnoff though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The plan until recently was for the M7 to have had 3 lanes extended to the M9 junction, but this has been scrapped.

Was that not a suggestion rather than a plan? No record of any such plan on the NRA website. :confused:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Was that not a suggestion rather than a plan? No record of any such plan on the NRA website. :confused:

Oh, it was there. Briefly. A lot of the ones that hadn't even really got the feasibility study done just vanished around the time the Greens announced the new PfG. First schemes on the chopping block.

BAM evidently did not get the Newlands contract because they cannot raise money to build it.....their having delayed signing the contract they already won on the M17/M18 project beyond the 22nd of October because they cannot raise the money to build that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

BAM evidently did not get the Newlands contract because they cannot raise money to build it.....their having delayed signing the contract they already won on the M17/M18 project beyond the 22nd of October because they cannot raise the money to build that.

You should be careful about what you are saying - true or not. You can get yourself into trouble with statements in public like this which may not be true.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    You can get yourself into trouble with statements in public like this which may not be true.

I am only pointing out what the Connacht Tribune said last week Darkman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I am only pointing out what the Connacht Tribune said last week Darkman

You're not only pointing it out. You seem to be stating as a fact that BAM have no money and don't have the M11/N7 PPP, which - regardless of what the Tribune has printed - is unsubstantiated at this point and possibly completely wrong.

Furet wrote: »
    You're not only pointing it out. You seem to be stating as a fact that BAM have no money and don't have the M11/N7 PPP, which - regardless of what Tribune has printed - is unsubstantiated at this point and possibly completely wrong.

I also pointed out that their 'no money' excuse in Galway could be a game seeing as BAM were shortlisted for Newlands when they won the M17/M18 scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 summer11

Sponge Bob, Furet, Tech 2 et all,

Does this junction need to be rebuilt at all and if so, to what extent?

Before you wonder have I lost my marbles totally, please read on.

Why not close up the Intersection with a Concrete Barrier and divert City bound traffic from the Tallaght end to the wonderfully constructed flyover (New Circular Road or something like that) 800 metres further out on Naas Road. This was constructed about 4 years ago.

The West/Naas bound traffic from the Clondalkin end would divert to the new expensive - free flow M50 roundabout(?) and loop back to the Naas Road.

Do we need to spend millions on this when filter lanes onto the Naas Road from both sides would suffice? Think about it... I have and I pass this way every week.

Money could be spent better on M20, N21, N11 and M18.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

summer11 wrote: »
    The West/Naas bound traffic from the Clondalkin end would divert to the new expensive - free flow M50 roundabout(?) and loop back to the Naas Road.

Can't be done ;)

elaborate???

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Traffic traveling eastbound from Clondalkin cannot loop back at the Red Cow to travel westbound. The only way would be to take the Monastery Road turnoff, go over the bridge towards the Luas car park and back on to the N7, but these roads aren't designed for this kind of volume.

See here for a picture on the junction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

summer11 wrote: »
    Sponge Bob, Furet, Tech 2 et all,

Does this junction need to be rebuilt at all and if so, to what extent?

Before you wonder have I lost my marbles totally, please read on.

Why not close up the Intersection with a Concrete Barrier and divert City bound traffic from the Tallaght end to the wonderfully constructed flyover (New Circular Road or something like that) 800 metres further out on Naas Road. This was constructed about 4 years ago.

Do we need to spend millions on this when filter lanes onto the Naas Road from both sides would suffice? Think about it... I have and I pass this way every week.

Money could be spent better on M20, N21, N11 and M18.

You are my new god!!

Genius idea! :D

Thanks Telchak for the elaboration.

So It can be done on Monastery Road Flyover - travelled this (or Part of it ) on many occassion during construction of Mad Cow freeflows.....traffic was diverted from M50 - how much larger could traffic flows be now- I seem to remember that there were more than one lane on this flyover.........

Surely, with disruption/budget constraints this could work and keep the NRA working a little longer.......

How much is the cost of this contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

ive a better idea.
    we put the concrete median barrier on the road.
    then in the centre we place two large cranes.
    each crane deals with one flow of traffic.
    the cranes have a drive on piece that the traffic roll onto and then the crane lifts the vehice up and over to the other side of the road.
    sorted and really cheap.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement