Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non AA member and car breaks down?

Options
  • 25-10-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭

What options do you have if your car breaks down at the side of the road and you don't have breakdown assistance as part of your insurance? I vaguely recall that the AA will still call out and either fix or tow your car but the cost is very expensive? If anyone can shed light on this or else give websites or other info on companies that provide a towing or breakdown service I would be grateful.

Comments

Where are you?
    Just google your location and 24 hour recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Augeo wrote: »
    Where are you?
    Just google your location and 24 hour recovery.

I'm near Kells but I'm wondering is it worth ringing the AA and getting a non member service does anyone know how expensive it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I think you can sign up there and then so won't cost you anything more than the membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

iamtony wrote: »
    I think you can sign up there and then so won't cost you anything more than the membership.

I tried that once rang them while I was broke down one night to see if I joined would they recover me the guy basically laughed me off the phone maybe it would work if your in Dublin. That was an expensive night recovery truck from cork to kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

iamtony wrote: »

retrospectively buying insurance? i doubt that's an option.

ah, hello Aviva, my house has just been swept away by a tornado, how much would a policy generally cost for this house, can you back date it to yesterday and by the way, how quickly can you pay out on claims? :pac:

best answer is above, call a local 24 hour recovery service. in a lot of cases The AA farm out to these guys anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭enviro

Once you register with the AA, there may be a 24hr period
    before membership becomes active, all depends on the cover.
    Home start has this condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Do you know anyone who is in the AA..?
    Take them to your car, and get them to ring up.
    The AA recover the member, not just the car. It makes no difference who's car the member happens to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Do you know anyone who is in the AA..?
    Take them to your car, and get them to ring up.
    The AA recover the member, not just the car. It makes no difference who's car the member happens to be in.

+1 I have it and was advised it doesn't matter what car I'm driving or being driven in. If it breaks down I can call and get it towed.

I have my insurance through AA so got a good discount on the membership and vice-versa with insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Axa sell stand-alone breakdown cover in their www.axa.ie bottom of page

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Not much use to you now, but for future reference see if anyone you know would let you on their AA policy as an associate. Think mine costs about €44 a year this way with one of the folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It's a pity there isn't any all-Ireland-covering breakdown service without need to insure.

In many countries, if you don't have breakdown cover insurance, there are services where you can call emergency number in case of breakdown, they will send down the recovery truck and provide the same service as for insured people. Only difference you'll have to pay for it in line with set price list.

It still might be worth for many people who don't break down too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If you have fully comprehensive insurance then that should include breakdown and recovery on most policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CiniO wrote: »
    It's a pity there isn't any all-Ireland-covering breakdown service without need to insure.

In many countries, if you don't have breakdown cover insurance, there are services where you can call emergency number in case of breakdown, they will send down the recovery truck and provide the same service as for insured people. Only difference you'll have to pay for it in line with set price list.

It still might be worth for many people who don't break down too often.

There are loads of independent recovery companies offering 24-hour recovery. For someone who doesn't break down too often it's as easy to search for recovery in County x then recovery in Ireland, not everyone is smart enough to save the number in their phone before they need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement