Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Fionagus wrote: »
    Here's one for ya ;)

When leaves fall early,
    Autumn and Winter will be mild;
    When leaves fall late,
    Winter will be severe.

and I suppose the other ones are only optimistic if you're a Snow Bunny and you get a warm foggy August following a hot July - not looking good is it?
    :):D:)

How common are warm foggy Augusts?! According to met.ie there are an average of 4.6 days with fog in Kilkenny in August . . . which would lead to 4.6 snowfalls. Not enough!!! :P

Btw, that rhyme doesn't rhyme . . . just being pedantic about it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

For what its worth there have been reports of a number of bird species (cant find link thou) already begining to migrate

Something to do with birds ability to detect upper atmosphere events perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

True - so I just thought I'd toss some August weather lore into the mix :D
    Damn optimistic rhymes!
    Btw, that rhyme doesn't rhyme . . . just being pedantic about it!!!!

Does lore have to rhyme?? :pac: :p

In any case, it looks like we're truly fecked snow-wise if any of that non-rhyming lore is true :D I mean :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Does lore have to rhyme?? :pac: :p

In any case, it looks like we're truly fecked snow-wise if any of that non-rhyming lore is true :D I mean :(

Oops! :o

Lets make up some of our own . . .IF June and July are cool with slightly below average rainfall and sunshine and August starts dull and broken then there will be blizzards of epic proportions for 3 months of winter . . .:D

Oops! :o

Lets make up some of our own . . .IF June and July are cool with slightly below average rainfall and sunshine and August starts dull and broken then there will be blizzards of epic proportions for 3 months of winter . . .:D

Sounds pretty damn good to me!!! :D:D:D

Think I'll even make it my Boards Sig as well !:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moniga

Anyone have any idea why the trees are turning so early? Have noticed it over past couple weeks.

moniga wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea why the trees are turning so early? Have noticed it over past couple weeks.

Welcome to Boards and the Weather Forum

I can't say that I've noticed any significant leaf fall as yet here in Galway though there are reports from other parts of the country.

Wind burn may be playing some part though I also suspect that the lower than average rainfall in parts of the country may also be responsible for some trees shedding leaves early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

moniga wrote: »

Welcome to the weather forum... nice to have a new poster...

yeah a few of us have been mentioning that in earlier posts, seems to be happening around the country... time will tell if that has anything to do with the coming weather! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Snaps Fionagus, apart from not knowing that leaves are intact in Galway and an actual explaination... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Clearly the leaves are getting away as fast as possible for the incoming winter :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I foresee a wet winter ahead,wet from the tears of snow bunnies when no snow materialises!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

lord lucan wrote: »
    I foresee a wet winter ahead,wet from the tears of snow bunnies when no snow materialises!:D

:mad:...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Rte weather have said the upcoming weekend will have an "Autumnal" feel to it.. :eek::eek:

The feckin' start of August and already we are seeing the start of the move into less favourable weather.. :confused::confused:

We got no summer this year. Booooooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Saganist wrote: »
    Rte weather have said the upcoming weekend will have an "Autumnal" feel to it.. :eek::eek:

The feckin' start of August and already we are seeing the start of the move into less favourable weather.. :confused::confused:

We got no summer this year. Booooooooo.

Well if Autumnal means this muggy heat is gone then roll on Autumn. I can live with the muggy heat if its sunny but when its just this grey muck with the heat it can fcek right off. Roll on Autumn. This Summer has been a write-off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Calibos wrote: »
    Well if Autumnal means this muggy heat is gone then roll on Autumn. I can live with the muggy heat if its sunny but when its just this grey muck with the heat it can fcek right off. Roll on Autumn. This Summer has been a write-off :mad:

The temp has hardly ever been above 20C this Summer so not quite sure what you mean by muggy heat. Indeed the evenings have been notably on the cool side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

As for the leaves turning, they turned early last year too but not as early as this year. Was late August last year according to this article:

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/dry-spell-has-leaves-turning-early-1.979096#axzz1UNhf38BE

Trees in my garden definitely going into autumn mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I just heard that the NRA has put in a TRIPLE ORDER for salt from North Africa! :D

WOoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Watching this video from last year, god I hope we get more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

I predict (looks on out window) a wet and windy winter, very little snow , and temps min to be -6..

:D:D

Conor108 wrote: »
    Watching this video from last year, god I hope we get more snow.

I was only watching that the other day!!! :D

The exact reason we need a triple order of grit!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I just heard that the NRA has put in a TRIPLE ORDER for salt from North Africa! :D

WOoop!

Deric Hartigan? :)

_whiskers wrote: »
    Deric Hartigan? :)

Yep... and story coming up on IWO soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Iancar29 wrote: »

WOoop!

Triple last years supply. So it will last the better part of a whole week this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

The pics are getting me excited! Really hope it's a snowmageddon :D Going to have a look through my own pictures now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Elmo5 wrote: »
    As for the leaves turning, they turned early last year too but not as early as this year. Was late August last year according to this article:

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/dry-spell-has-leaves-turning-early-1.979096#axzz1UNhf38BE

Trees in my garden definitely going into autumn mode.

brown leaves are a result of the predominantly westerly wind which I was told carries more salt or less moisture( i'm not sure which ) but nonetheless burns the leaves..Down here in my part of the country it certainly is not for lack of rain. some of the hardiest trees like Mountain Ash are not affected

Withdrawal symptoms are back :(...

164168_10150116668426718_631736717_8216644_2600883_n.jpg

65888_10150116668376718_631736717_8216642_3084670_n.jpg

And this one isnt just the lens bein blurry ... its what happens when the snow comes down heavy with some wind right blowing it right at ya!
    166466_10150116669256718_631736717_8216680_5367878_n.jpg :rolleyes:....
    I miss THIS! :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

_whiskers wrote: »
    The pics are getting me excited! Really hope it's a snowmageddon :D Going to have a look through my own pictures now! :D

:eek theres a time & place for that sort of thing but i dont think a weather forum is it :D:D
    but i think people are getting hopes their hopes up a bit to soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭squonk

delw wrote: »
    :eek theres a time & place for that sort of thing but i dont think a weather forum is it :D:D
    but i think people are getting hopes their hopes up a bit to soon :(

Agreed! Even up til October last year the weather was no great shakes. it was cold and showry, just what you'd expect. I remember even early November we had a fairly intense storm one of the days. I think it was around the 10th. Things only started to kick off in late November so now in August, we've quite a long way to go before that stage.

• Advertisement

• squonk wrote: »
    Agreed! Even up til October last year the weather was no great shakes. it was cold and showry, just what you'd expect. I remember even early November we had a fairly intense storm one of the days. I think it was around the 10th. Things only started to kick off in late November so now in August, we've quite a long way to go before that stage.

we are already halfway there if you ask me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement