Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

...and back to Connemara.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fair play, littlebug. All you need is the momentum that comes with consistency and you'll be flying again soon. It's a good idea alright to focus on enjoying running rather than picking looming targets! What's the 5k in Athenry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Glad to see you back littlebug, had missed you around here. Im in the same kind of headspace as you right now- trying to run just for the enjoyment of it and not because a big training plan is telling me to run. Im finding it tough though as I feel like Im constantly being pulled towards longer distance races and then I put pressure on myself to get a certain mileage in each week and now Im injured again:( Sorry for the long winded ramble:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Glad you're back out with us again. Try to get into some sort of a habit/routine, then build on that consistency.

That's what I'm trying to do anyway:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ronanmac wrote: »
    What's the 5k in Athenry?

It's in Newcastle rather than athenry, in aid of Scoil chroí Naofa. There's no info up on it yet. http://www.athenryac.com/2011-newcastle-school-run-5km. Going by last years results it'll be a fairly small field with quite a few at my end :D Might be a good one for MrsMac?;)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    I put pressure on myself to get a certain mileage in each week and now Im injured again:( Sorry for the long winded ramble:)
    Same.... i put pressure on myself to up the mileage and everytime I go over 5 miles the itb plays up :( I'm sticking to 5k for a few weeks before attempting anything longer.
    Glad you're back out with us again. Try to get into some sort of a habit/routine, then build on that consistency.

That's what I'm trying to do anyway:rolleyes:

I know... getting from no or sporadic running to regular/ routine running is the hard part :(
    anyway... reading reports from Craughwell yesterday had me back in here, reading about and thinking about running again so hopefully that means I've got my mojo back!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    Same.... i put pressure on myself to up the mileage and everytime I go over 5 miles the itb plays up :(
    This scares me :(

• Advertisement

This scares me :(

yikes sorry Rk :o
    Lets just say it's probably my age.... in which case you'll be fine :)
    I do think it's a game of patience with the itb and just not pushing it too far :( so at the minute I know I'm good for 3 miles but not for 6 so that's what I'll do for another couple of weeks. There's no point in pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great to see you back running and hope you get your mojo back soon

I do think it's a game of patience with the itb and just not pushing it too far :(
    Now this could be a huge problem :pac::eek:

3 miles in the woods this morning in 10.52/9.25/9.19 (total 29.37), average pace 9.53 after which I was rightly pooped :( I don't think there'll be any pbs anytime soon:p. The woods, though lovely to run in, always feel a bit harder than road running for some reason, maybe it's the varied surfaces and dodging branches and tree roots etc :confused:

4 miles in 39.26, ave pace 9.51, ave hr 168.
    10.45/10.15/9.13/9.15

The stats are a wee bit misleading as I stopped after 3miles and took the last mile as a sort of interval type run, first by trying to keep a decent pace up the hill with a bit of a break at the top.
    An enjoyable run overall. I wore the hrm for the first time in ages.... interestingly my hr for the first .1 mile was 56/57 and that's after having walked a bit while waiting for the gps to kick in :confused: it didn't take long to skyrocket though :p I must figure out my resting hr properly.

• Advertisement

3 miles this morning with the dog. Average (moving) time 30.01, pace 10.01, hr 171. Miles 10.17/10.28/9.41. I used moving time and pace due to the numerous pitstops. The dog behaved reasonably well despite a minor incident with another dog :eek: In fact I was sitting at 9.45 for the last mile with a half a mile uphill drag to go and the dog actually pulled me to run faster uphill bringing the time down :D
    HR a bit higher than it should have been but that may have been due to the lack of breakfast + yesterdays run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

3 miles this morning with the dog. Average (moving) time 30.01, pace 10.01, hr 171. Miles 10.17/10.28/9.41. I used moving time and pace due to the numerous pitstops. The dog behaved reasonably well despite a minor incident with another dog :eek: In fact I was sitting at 9.45 for the last mile with a half a mile uphill drag to go and the dog actually pulled me to run faster uphill bringing the time down :D
    HR a bit higher than it should have been but that may have been due to the lack of breakfast + yesterdays run.

...but isn't that cheating?:D :rolleyes:

Emer911 wrote: »
    ...but isn't that cheating?:D :rolleyes:

Shhhhhhh don't tell. I'd take her to the next race if I could except for the fact that she's likely to trip up anyone near us..... .....oh hang on ;):D

slow quick quick slow.

A night-time better than nothing treadmill run. Slow 11 min warm up, then two miles @ 9.17 and a slow slow cooldown mile, slowing down to a walk by the end, so over 12 mins. I only intended a half mile cooldown but my thoughts ran away with me :p and I found myself at .8 so carried on.

Fri. Slow 3m.

Tomorrows race is all about getting the feel for races again. My 5k pb is "about" 27 mins... I won't even get close to that :o. My time for this course last time was 27.55 I think. To be honest I don't think I'll touch that either :o:o. I'll be happy to break half an hour:rolleyes:

Good luck tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Enjoy it tomorow, hopefully the am weather from today will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Fri. Slow 3m.

Tomorrows race is all about getting the feel for races again. My 5k pb is "about" 27 mins... I won't even get close to that :o. My time for this course last time was 27.55 I think. To be honest I don't think I'll touch that either :o:o. I'll be happy to break half an hour:rolleyes:

Don't think about pace. Don't cut a stick to beat yourself up with.

Your racing again. :D Plenty of time next time out to target times.

Best of luck.;)

Newcastle (Athenry) 5k Race Report.
    Since I haven’t been running anything resembling regularly since October and really only getting some motivation back in the past couple of weeks I knew a pb wasn’t going to happen but based on very recent runs I reckoned 9.20/mile was a reasonable estimation of what I could expect. That would see me finish in about 29 minutes but having run the route before I knew the long uphill drag from 2 to nearly 4k could change that... you know... me’n’hills..:rolleyes:
    I was awoken this lovely mothers day morning with a cup of tea, lots of cuddles and many many home made cards ... I’ve only got 2 children :confused: I mooched around for a while getting myself ready but couldn’t find my garmin ... not got a clue where it is! So I resigned myself to having to do it the old fashioned stopwatch and k signs way which would mean challenging my brain to have to think in kilometres and do sums along the way. I reached Newcastle early, registered and said hello to the very nice MickRice who was the man in charge. Time ticked on and I wondered why no one was turning up for the race. At 11.50 surely we should be off to the startline? The penny dropped..... I was early early rather than just early as the race was at 1, not 12. So, more mooching, tea :)(on Micks insistence) and chatting with the nice Newcastle people and I was ready to go (again) an hour later.
    Off at the start without a clue of pace, into a nice downhill/ flat first kilometre. I hit the first k marker at 5.30, grand, happy with that, the aim was to keep it between 5.30/6 mins. From there on it was a long drag, not steep but unrelenting up to about 3.8k. The second k was done in 5.50, the brain stopped working for the next two but I was happy I was within my target. I never felt the need to stop or walk and the hill didn’t feel bad at all:). Once we hit 4 k after a bit of a plateau it was all downhill and I was happy to see 28.xx on the clock as I approached. I put the boot down a bit and finished the last k in 5.20 with (I think) 28.45 on the clock so about 28.40 for me. (yes I started the stopwatch too soon and then forgot to stop it:rolleyes:). Now my brain is functioning again I’ve done the sums and that equates to 9.13 min miles. I’m happy with that... the fact that I didn’t find it too hard, was feeling grand and talking away within seconds of finishing tells me I probably had a bit more to give. In fact I know I did... but hey it’s grand for my first race of the year and gives me an indication of what to aim for in the Castlebar women’s mini marathon 10k ;) on 1st May.
    Said hello and had a quick chat with Magnet but had to hotfoot it in to Galway to meet up with the clan (an hour later than planned:o) so I didn’t hang around.
    Lovely race, lovely route, nice people, nice tea :)

Nice running there littlebug. Sorry I had to laugh, you poor thing being there so early!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done LB, great run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done, nice controlled race. Wouldn't worry about being htere early there isn't a better place in the country to put down an hour.

But then again I'm biased :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good to see you back racing again LB, well done and glad to see you're enjoying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Well done, littlebug... You're officially back now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Nice one LB, plenty more where that came from over the summer! ;)

A sleepless week with a small patient in the house so a slow 3 on the tm was all I managed midweek.
    Today, 3.25 miles with the dog @ 9.54 average pace.
    6 mile route planned tomorrow... I'll keep it slow and see how I feel at 5 and decide then whether to walk or run the last one.

6 miles slow and steady. The aim was to keep HR low (for me) and ignore pace, easier done in the first 4 miles.
    6 miles in 1.04, ave pace 10.42, hr 169. I've only run this distance a handful of times since October and this was the first one where the ITB behaved itself:)

this was the first one where the ITB behaved itself:)

Nice one, delighted to hear it.

3 miles on the treadmill. My aim is to average no slower than 9.20 min miles in Castlebar in less than 3 :eek: weeks time though I think it'll be a testing enough course.
    According to this table the equivalent treadmill pace is 8.49 min miles or 6.8 mph setting.
    So I did half mile very slow warm at 5.5 (11mm), followed by 2 miles at 8.49 and slow warm down half mile. Total 3 miles in 28. 30.

By the time I was finished Mr was home so after a quick shower I went off out for a glorious leisurely 3 mile walk with the dog :).

• Advertisement

Thurs/ Sat... couple of 3 slow miles with the dog. Didn't time them.

Sun... I didn't get myself organised to get a run in this morning so was stuck to the TM again. 5 miles in 48.30.... (11/8.50/8.50/8.50/11). Not bad... I felt better after the middle three than I thought I would. I know it's not the same as running on the road etc but still.....:pac
    Kids will be at home for 2 weeks now. I can 't see myself getting out of bed early enough to run before MrB leaves.....hmmmm.

Advertisement