Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crystal meth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

<joke linking crystal meth and crystal swing>

This?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Horriffic drug, I've seen people fuk themselves up cause of it (in oz) and pray it never comes here. Watch these documentaries:
    "The Meth Epidemic" (CBS Frontline)
    "City addicted to crystal meth" (Louis Theroux)
    "Worlds most dangerous drug"
    "Meth Nation" - Discoveru Channel

Google them they are all online

Also check out "The Faces of Meth" - horrible stuff...
    http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=faces+of+meth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I chatted to lads who had done it and they said that as you smoke it you can have little bits that pop off out of the pipe.
    Straight away, first time trying it, you're searching for them on the ground wanting more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I chatted to lads who had done it and they said that as you smoke it you can have little bits that pop off out of the pipe.
    Straight away, first time trying it, you're searching for them on the ground wanting more

Pfft, I doubt you'll find many people who don't look for bits of drugs that they've let fall on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

amacachi wrote: »
    Pfft, I doubt you'll find many people who don't look for bits of drugs that they've let fall on the ground.
    Good point, drop a pill, nodge, anything and you'll look for it, regardless of the drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anybody want some Cake? PM me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Given how badly we've handled the heroin epidemic in Dublin, I dread to think what would happen to our cities if crystal meth went mainstream.

Cue a load of people saying that there is no drug abuse in Dublin and we're all just jealous culchies who hate the capital (even those of us from Dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Given how badly we've handled the heroin epidemic in Dublin, I dread to think what would happen to our cities if crystal meth went mainstream.

Cue a load of people saying that there is no drug abuse in Dublin and we're all just jealous culchies who hate the capital (even those of us from Dublin).
    There is drug abuse everywhere. my folks live in a small town in Kilkenny. If you seen the amout on smack heads it's actually shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

kev_like wrote: »
    Meth is around, and there's plenty of it. Just to get it is another story, the dealers themselves try to keep it as if it was 'non existant', that way the guards aren't looking for it. Depending on who you know it's simple to get, I myself know dozens of people that can get it within minutes(cork city centre) but I suppose that's only in Cork, not sure if it's the same in other counties.

Sure you're not thinking of Meph?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Never got hooked on drugs, the gambling and poker had all my money already:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Hummm, you would wonder if the Government would step in now. And start to show the effects of this awful drug to the younger generation and existing population that might be thinking along the line 'ah sure once won't hurt' . So it would deter people from it before it gets a chance to arrive and get a hold.

Just a thought , the powers above seem to let things get a hold first then act. There is an opportunity for them to step in now and actually be proactive for once.

The only media I have seen on it has been from shows like 'cops' , which would show the drug in full action then go into the details of how the drug operates and the off the scale addiction it can give to the user.

Phyiscal effects
    Physical effects can include anorexia, hyperactivity, dilated pupils, flushing, restlessness, dry mouth, headache, tachycardia, bradycardia, tachypnea, hypertension, hypotension, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, diarrhea, constipation, blurred vision, dizziness, twitching, insomnia, numbness, palpitations, arrhythmias, tremors, dry and/or itchy skin, acne, pallor, and with chronic and/or high doses, convulsions, heart attack stroke and death can occur.

Psychological effects

Psychological effects can include euphoria, anxiety, increased libido, alertness, concentration, energy, self-esteem, self-confidence, sociability, irritability, aggression, psychosomatic disorders, psychomotor agitation, grandiosity, excessive feelings of power and invincibility, repetitive and obsessive behaviors, paranoia, and with chronic and/or high doses, amphetamine psychosis can occur.

Withdrawal effects

Withdrawal symptoms of methamphetamine primarily consist of mental fatigue, mental depression and an increased appetite. Symptoms may last for days with occasional use and weeks or months with chronic use, with severity dependent on the length of time and the amount of methamphetamine used. Withdrawal symptoms may also include anxiety, agitation, akathisia, excessive sleep, vivid or lucid dreams, deep REM sleep and suicidal ideation.

Other effects

Methamphetamine users and addicts may lose their teeth abnormally quickly, a condition informally known as meth mouth.

So yes, a truly awful drug.

Herion been a depressant, users of the drug wouldn't be as on edge more relaxed

On the other hand Crystal Meth is a stimulant which would put users on the edge and extremely aggressive/agitated.

I use the term depressant and stimulant there quite easy, the neurological property's of these drugs would be very powerful on the end of the table they are on. But basically, Crystal Meth would make Herion look like minor issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Saw this video before of a meth head stealing a bait car, it's frickin' scary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THesRyETb7Y

Starts at about 1:30

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Meth dealers are the coolest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Maybe that's why the government brought in the restrictions against buying Nurophen Plus/Solphadine? Both of them have codine in them. Could be preparing themselves.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe that's why the government brought in the restrictions against buying Nurophen Plus/Solphadine? Both of them have codine in them. Could be preparing themselves.

An interesting suggestion, although as one which credits the government with positive, forward thinking I doubt it will get much support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

nah just more knee jerk reaction from our forward thinking government listening to Joe Duffy and making important decisions based on the raving moral minority

Codine is not primarily used in the manufacture of meth, crystal meth usually involves reducing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, found in cold and allergy medicine i.e Sudafed

its is also a highly voltile to manufacture due to the production of white phosphorus which can can auto ignite and blow up the meth lab

Again, has anyone got a link to something saying that codeine can be used for Meth production? Pretty sure they're in completely different families of drugs and it's ephedrine and pseudoephedrine which are used for making Meth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Doesn't seem to have codeine in it.
    Most of the necessary chemicals are readily available in household products or over-the-counter cold or allergy medicines. When illicitly produced, methamphetamine is commonly made by the reduction of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine.

There's a very good article in Wikipedia about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

amacachi wrote: »
    Again, has anyone got a link to something saying that codeine can be used for Meth production? Pretty sure they're in completely different families of drugs and it's ephedrine and pseudoephedrine which are used for making Meth.

Correct Amacachi as I posted above Codine is not used in Meth production

here is the usual shopping list to manufacture Meth

Matches
    Iodine
    Brake Fluid
    Ephedrine
    Butane
    Hydrochloric acid
    Sodium hydroxide
    Ether
    Ammonia

lovely combo aint it

Auvers wrote: »
    Correct Amacachi as I posted above Codine is not used in Meth production

here is the usual shopping list to manufacture Meth

Matches
    Iodine
    Brake Fluid
    Ephedrine
    Butane
    Hydrochloric acid
    Sodium hydroxide
    Ether
    Ammonia

lovely combo aint it
    If I had all that I'm pretty sure I'd just get high on it instead, would last a lot longer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Meth is very similar to speed in terms of effects, chemical structure etc. Same family of drug (amphetamines).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

analytical wrote: »
    Its simple to make. Getting the raw materials the hardest part and the main one is available in many over the counter products, its codine.
    Once you have pure codine it a simple enough process to turn it into meth.

There's no codiene it meth, it's psuedoephedrine you're thinking off (as in sudafed). From what i remember it's basically that, red match tops and iodine, all cooked up in some lovely chemicals like lye and also acetone and ether both extremely flamable as are the fumes, and it's this that makes the cooking process so dangerous. Yum:)!

It's nasty ****, but i'd still give it a try once or twice. I'm a curious person by nature! Never seen or heard of it to be on sale in dublin though, but then i haven't gone looking either, so i'm not sure.

No drug is as bad as the press will have you believe and first time addiction is basically a myth regardless of substance. There's always one big bad drug out there just waiting to destroy society, according to the press anyway. It's the "wont someone please think of the children" school of journalism, aimed at the joe duffy mentality and it sells papers, tv shows etc. Reality is addiction prone people will become addicted to something, be it drink, gambling, heroin, meth whatever, the majority will not regardless. For example, i love being drunk, but i only drink maybe 2 or 3 times a month, i could easily afford to drink every day but it would interfere with other things i also like doing, so i don't do it. Others with different personalities allow it to take over their lives and basically destroy them. It's not alcohols fault, it's theirs! Same with meth, same with everything.

No drug is as bad as the press will have you believe and first time addiction is basically a myth regardless of substance. There's always one big bad drug out there just waiting to destroy society, according to the press anyway. It's the "wont someone please think of the children" school of journalism, aimed at the joe duffy mentality and it sells papers, tv shows etc. Reality is addiction prone people will become addicted to something, be it drink, gambling, heroin, meth whatever, the majority will not regardless. For example, i love being drunk, but i only drink maybe 2 or 3 times a month, i could easily afford to drink every day but it would interfere with other things i also like doing, so i don't do it. Others with different personalities allow it to take over their lives and basically destroy them. It's not alcohols fault, it's theirs! Same with meth, same with everything.

True dat. I've avoided heroin and more or less avoided coke because how I handled other drugs made me realise I wouldn't just do heroin once and that coke would be more than a habit in a short amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It exists here alright but like heroin outside of the cities people are very quiet about using it / where they get it.

At least it's very low-key and not that common. Dirty fùckin' stuff.

However, I hear there's this killer meth being produced........blows your mind!........apparently it's produced by a mystery guy by the name of Hisenberg. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Remember one batch was found down the country and they had Fachtna Murphy (Garda Commissioner)come out and promise he wouldn't let it become mainstream here.

Excellent article about it here. Aimed at dentists but easy for anyone to understand. Mentions the fizzy drink bottle method of making it too.

http://www.irishdentist.ie/articles/articles_detail.php?id=632&authorid=392

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It exists here alright but like heroin outside of the cities people are very quiet about using it / where they get it.

At least it's very low-key and not that common. Dirty fùckin' stuff.

However, I hear there's this killer meth being produced........blows your mind!........apparently it's produced by a mystery guy by the name of Hisenberg. :pac:

i tell you one thing that series "breaking bad" is as addictive as hell.
    cant wait for series 4.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Is Meth also know as Ice?

Also, has anyone ever heard of a drug called Hi 5 (5仔 in Chinese)? Is it another name for Meth or is it something else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement