Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

build own home theater or buy one?

• 21-12-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hello guys, i was thinking to build a home cinema from scratch and i was wondering is it better to make one myself or to buy a surround system, the screen i would make myself and use a projector and some amaying ideas i read here. so what wold you suggest i should do and what would be the best speakers to get?
    i am looking forward to see some suggestions and to get to work as soon as i can :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 damke_1

hm that sir is a difficult question since i never know how much i need to spend for other things, but for starters id say i could part with 500-650? i enjoy getting into something new and a home cinema is like one of the things i want most, i don't have to finish it in a week or so, i would also make efforts to hide cables and find best position for speakers (lift them, lower them,)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

For that money I would reassess your priorities. You could get a pair of speakers, or an amp or redecorate a room but not set up a system.

Things for you to research would be types of amplification, video and audio processing, 2d and 3d projectors vs flat panel LCD or plasma, size preference for speakers and location preferences.
    Then you need to think about source devices, NAS, server, bluray, cd, turntable.

If it were me to start you off, I would advise separates rather than integrated components, this is more expensive but you get better hardware that you can upgrade independently.
    You get a lot more bang for buck with stereo rather than multichannel. And for proper movie immersion, a projector is hard to beat.

hm thank you for the advice, that was my plan actually to first redecorate the room and then start off slowly. i said 500 - 650 as a worst case scenario, but i always start from the lowest available sum, that was a starter so to say. the room i intend to use as the home cinema is actually half way there perhaps it would need painting and a few framed posters on the wall. i was considering to get a Pioneer VSX D711 5.1 Channel, but i don't know how good they are and i will google a little to find the best solution, i will go step by step

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement

thank you very much, i will take a look at it, now i see what Idleater meant with i cant set up a system.. projectors are not very cheap :/ but still i will not change my plans now just finished another deal with a customer and in January my cinema budget will look much better. :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Build piece by piece, take your time and read avfourms for ideas, only buy quality gear as I've seen and heard so called budget amps and speakers and they are terrible, for a small premium get the branded gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eminence

Hi there sorry for such late reply, this is still in question ?

I could be of huge help when it comes to DIY audio, give me a shout if needed.

Advertisement