Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingston 128gb SSD from dabs.ie €76.28

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's not just boot times it's using the computer from minute to minute

I load windows, I see the desktop and that's it. everything can be used. I dont have to sit here staring at the background for 2-3 minutes before I can open my browser. I see desktop, I click browsedr it opens instantly. same for winamp, steam or any other program/game I care to run.

even just general useage is so improved. All those little 2-3 second delays whenever you tried to do anything, open explorer, open a file, check the size of a folder.. it's all just about instant now. An SSD doesn't neccesarily make a huge difference for everyone but it does make hundreds/thousands of little differences that make just using a computer such a more pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ah, I see what you're saying now, was a bit tired reading the post last night!

Well, my machine is not a glorified facebook surfer, so I will certainly notice the difference once I get it going :pac:

I never wanted to get a laptop over a perceived drop in performance from a desktop. But when I saw a reasonable Win 7 machine with similar spec to my ageing Win Vista desktop I went for it. Still prefer my desktop though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Damn it.. I've been questioning whether to get it or not and when i decide to it's discontinued!

That'll teach me.

nope me too
    ordered it on the 2nd and got a text saying it has arrived
    is there any firmware upgrade to do
    much faster ??

Just to update you, in case you haven't found out yourself.
    The firmware that came on my ssd, was the latest f/w available from Kingston. I tried to run the f/w upgrade program, but it didn't need an update, which is good news.

I still haven't got a hard drive caddy for my laptop, but I put this drive into the desktop over the weekend, and loaded up Windows 8. It ran very fast indeed for a machine bought in 2007. Booting was just over 10 seconds, shutting down was about 3 or 4 and just an overall feeling of 'faster'!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

tok9 wrote: »
    it's 107 euro before delivery now.

Coming up at 81.99 for me!!

Had an issue with this yesterday, but if you search SAMSUNG SSD on their site you should see it at the 81.99 price.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Coming up at 81.99 for me!!

Had an issue with this yesterday, but if you search SAMSUNG SSD on their site you should see it at the 81.99 price.

Tried that and still no good. Thanks anyway... I still bought it.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-256gb-m4-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7GL2.html?src=2

159 for 256gb !!!

I should have waited........maybe I could use another one!!!

Apparently you may have to be signed up to dabs to see the 'special prices'.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79793407&postcount=866

Discussion there also

http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-256gb-m4-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7GL2.html?src=2

159 for 256gb !!!

I should have waited........maybe I could use another one!!!

Apparently you may have to be signed up to dabs to see the 'special prices'.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79793407&postcount=866

Discussion there also

Was just about to say it, because it's 202 euro on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Their VIP deals have been reflected through price decreases in the following weeks in the past. They're probably doing it this way so that they're not completely cleared of stock in one swoop.

• I am signed up with dabs, but did not receive any particular "VIP" email.
    Any idea, how I could get the Samsung for that price?
    I mean, 82 EUR compared to 107 is quite a difference, not mentioning the 256GB for 159.. :)

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I am signed up with dabs, but did not receive any particular "VIP" email.
    Any idea, how I could get the Samsung for that price?

Try logging in to dabs then, from a dabs newsletter/email, click through via any offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

I've signed in - I can also only see the higher prices... odd...

Stock is depleting rapidly now, am tempted to get another 1 or the 256gb for 159

Stock is depleting rapidly now, am tempted to get another 1 or the 256gb for 159

You might as well! You appear to be the only one who can!! :pac:

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You might as well! You appear to be the only one who can!! :pac:

Few lads over here as well http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214991&page=51

Something else is after catching my eye now though............

Few lads over here as well http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214991&page=51

Something else is after catching my eye now though............

A cheaper 256? :)

Never really had the need for a NAS, but that looks quite good!

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Never really had the need for a NAS, but that looks quite good!

B**tards !! I had this in my basket yesterday, and went to process the order this morning and the price has gone from 122 to 169 !!!

Guess I can manage without it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

B**tards !! I had this in my basket yesterday, and went to process the order this morning and the price has gone from 122 to 169 !!!

Dabs are terrible for this. It's happened to me on several occassions that the price in the basket is less than the price shown after I click checkout. I think once you press checkout it must go update its price. But if you cancel checkout and look at the basket you will still see the old (lower) price. I've called them before about it hoping to get the better price and they will just fob you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PCDub

Think all the vip offers expired last night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it's not just boot times it's using the computer from minute to minute

I load windows, I see the desktop and that's it. everything can be used. I dont have to sit here staring at the background for 2-3 minutes before I can open my browser. I see desktop, I click browsedr it opens instantly. same for winamp, steam or any other program/game I care to run.

even just general useage is so improved. All those little 2-3 second delays whenever you tried to do anything, open explorer, open a file, check the size of a folder.. it's all just about instant now. An SSD doesn't neccesarily make a huge difference for everyone but it does make hundreds/thousands of little differences that make just using a computer such a more pleasant experience.
    To be fair, if you have a good computer these delays don't exist anyway, certainly good for booting though. And I guess simultaneous loading.

I have a good computer and delays all over the place :(

before I got the ssd anyway
    everything instantaneous now

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Same, I'm on a reasonable spec 2011 MacBook Pro and the difference the SSD has made is enormous! It's the most noticeable upgrade I've ever made.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I suppose 99% of peoples computers would get a good deal out of one. On my OCed i5, when I click something it opens, it cant really go much faster. But computers slow down. I'd still say everything would feel a bit better with an ssd, what kinda boot time do you get? I'm just waiting for a cheap 256!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kenyard

i got a 128 just to see what sort of improvement i get. will try it on my laptop first and then stick it in the pc (i know a lot depends on motherboard also)
    if its pretty good ill get a 256 if theyre relatively cheap for the laptop.
    heres hoping bargain alerts finds a decent cheap one again soon :D

There are bargains on them every day. A nice place to look is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214991&page=20
    and here http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=ssd

Not getting a 256 til they are 100e ;)
    This time last year 128gb was 200e.

• Advertisement

I suppose 99% of peoples computers would get a good deal out of one. On my OCed i5, when I click something it opens, it cant really go much faster. But computers slow down. I'd still say everything would feel a bit better with an ssd, what kinda boot time do you get? I'm just waiting for a cheap 256!

tbh before I had an ssd I'd hav said that my computer starts porgrams pretty quickly as well and there wasn't much room for improvement.
    trust me on this, there is.

boot was 37 seconds or thereabouts this morning, that includes typing password and opening browser/all those little programs tthat open up when you start windows

Advertisement