Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's going on over there??? - See mod warning post 194 BEFORE posting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

aido79 wrote: »
    Do you want me to say that all or most Irish people in Australia are causing trouble and a source of anti-social behaviour on a regular basis. I really can't see where you are going with this thread or what sort of answers you want..

I started this thread by linking to an article along with a discussion I had with a friend of mine who is living in Australia.

Since then, posters have bent over backwards to try and deny the stories and discredit me. Anything I've posted I've backed up whereas the responses to me and another poster who agreed with me have been personal attacks and brush offs.

It seems that we get so indignant when we are stereotyped but when people live up to that stereotype, rather than challenge it we deny it exists.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I started this thread by linking to an article along with a discussion I had with a friend of mine who is living in Australia.

Since then, posters have bent over backwards to try and deny the stories and discredit me. Anything I've posted I've backed up whereas the responses to me and another poster who agreed with me have been personal attacks and brush offs.

It seems that we get so indignant when we are stereotyped but when people live up to that stereotype, rather than challenge it we deny it exists.

All of the stories you posted are true. Nobody has denied that. What you don't seem to be able to comprehend is that out of the 80,000 or so Irish born people in Australia it is only a small percentage that are causing trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mate you are on the other side of the world trying to tell people living on this side of the world what our neighbours think of us as a nationality.

Do you not think your ill equipped to advise on that front. We are here we see what goes on.

Do young irish people get in trouble? Yes they do but that has happened for the last 20 years. Back packers get drunk and make an arse of themselves. It happens, the cops know it happens. A few headlines that grab the irish medias interest.

No one gets what your trying to say? I mean is there a boards Ibiza forum area where people give off about drunk Brits and irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

You made a claim that there almost weekly incidents. So far there are 3 incident from what I can see, that have been backed up by court cases, peoples names etc.

You keep making the mistake of taking newpaper articles as fact

That's the problem here, newspaper articles quoting unnamed police spokespeople, unnamed pub owners etc. are tabloid nonsense printed to sell papers. They do not equate to police statements.

Nobody is denying the 3 verified instances over the past year, but your claim that these are almost weekly is blown out of all proportion and all you have to back it up are tabloid newpaper articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Zambia wrote: »

I mean is there a boards Ibiza forum area where people give off about drunk Brits and irish?

Motors?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The Aussie wrote: »
    I know a Car Salesman....

He wants to work at the Car Yard across the road...

I think he is a waste of space, he stays where he is unhappy, hates everyone, trolls the internet to make up for his insecurities and his wife ain't the best looking either, LOL
    So bitter and desperate that he'd insult other posters spouses?

elastico wrote: »
    You made a claim that there almost weekly incidents. So far there are 3 incident from what I can see, that have been backed up by court cases, peoples names etc.

That's the problem here, newspaper articles quoting unnamed police spokespeople, unnamed pub owners etc. are tabloid nonsense printed to sell papers. They do not equate to police statements.

Nobody is denying the 3 verified instances over the past year, but your claim that these are almost weekly is blown out of all proportion and all you have to back it up are tabloid newpaper articles.

Since the new year there have been "almost" weekly incidents being reported in the media. That is a fact.

Unnamed police spokespople??? Do you mean inspector Paul Steel and Bridget Kelly (The bar owner)

In fairness an irish person does get locked up weekly in between the major cities. That's not hard to believe

Since the new year there have been "almost" weekly incidents being reported in the media. That is a fact.

Unnamed police spokespople??? Do you mean inspector Paul Steel and Bridget Kelly (The bar owner)

That article quoting the police officer is nearly 3 years old. Whats that got to do with this upsurge in almost weekly incidents you are concerned about since Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

You asked on the Australia forum "what's going on over there", spuriously quoting a handful of articles. You've been told numerously, by real-life Irish people living over here that it's not really that bad. You seem to have more of a problem with it than the majority of Australians.... wait for it... in Australia. And when you tell us how bad it is and we retort you spin it to sound like we condone bad behaviour. Just let it go mate.

Happy Australia Day

• Advertisement

jamesdiver wrote: »
    You asked on the Australia forum "what's going on over there", spuriously quoting a handful of articles. You've been told numerously, by real-life Irish people living over here that it's not really that bad. You seem to have more of a problem with it than the majority of Australians.... wait for it... in Australia. And when you tell us how bad it is and we retort you spin it to sound like we condone bad behaviour. Just let it go mate.

Happy Australia Day

Real life Australian Police also living and working "wait for it ..." in Australia (longer than you) have gone on public record saying that there is a disproportionate amount of Irish people involved in offences and you say "it's really not that bad".

Real life Australian Police also living and working "wait for it ..." in Australia (longer than you) have gone on public record saying that there is a disproportionate amount of Irish people involved in offences and you say "it's really not that bad".

Any chance of a link to back up which police officer said this, where and when?

Any chance of a link to back up which police officer said this, where and when?

A different one to the previous links posted where you couldn't find the quote so it had to copied into a post?

A different one to the previous links posted where you couldn't find the quote so it had to copied into a post?

The quote was not named and more aimed at General backpacker behaviour and even indicated it was not a unique irish issue.

They are a group of 20 something's on holiday ... Their behaviour is no shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

This thread is reaching Python-esque proportions. :eek:

Zambia wrote: »
    The quote was not named and more aimed at General backpacker behaviour and even indicated it was not a unique irish issue.

They are a group of 20 something's on holiday ... Their behaviour is no shock.

Again with the justifications.

How could they be backpackers if they are supposedly playing for GAA club every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

William F wrote: »

I think Australians are just uptight and need to unwind a little.

LMFAO

If they were any more unwound they'd just be a pile of soggy noodles.

Every race cops a little bit of racism here. The Lebs, Italians, Greeks, Chinese, Poms and Kiwis all cop it. The media isn't particularly enlightened about it and they love a sensational headline, even it is bordering on outright racism.

To presume that the editorial quality of the mainstream media reflects the opinions of the majority of Australians isn't doing them justice either. Most working Aussies actually have a healthy respect for anyone that comes over here and has a go. As for the snooty few and the bogan minority that spout racist garbage, as they say themselves they can go'n get facked

Again with the justifications.

How could they be backpackers if they are supposedly playing for GAA club every week?

There's another example of just how little you know about the Irish in Australia. Australians like to call any young Irish person a backpacker regardless of how long they've been in Australia or their living arrangements. There is no reason why a young Irish guy on a whv couldn't be playing GAA. Please stop embarrassing yourself and just let it go.

Australians like to call any young Irish person a backpacker regardless of how long they've been in Australia or their living arrangements.

Read that back to yourself and tell me who makes the generalisations?

Read that back to yourself and tell me who makes the generalisations?

Australians..

• Advertisement

Australians..

Not you, no?

Not you, no?

No...I don't think of every young Irish person here as a backpacker. I rarely if ever see backpackers in the town I live in anyway. What's your point. This thread is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

4593531893_f67a757fa1.jpg
    Fingertips-008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Yes it's awful here, probably best you stay at home in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

An email to all members of St Finbarr’s GFC club claims that Perth police are “extremely unhappy and appalled by the antisocial behaviour which is taking place all too often on the streets and in the pubs across Perthâ€.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/australian-police-ask-gaa-clubs-to-assist-over-drunken-irish-in-perth-26851821.html

That is just unbelievable. Racial profiling nonsense. I cant believe the Perth police sent that out ?

I see authenticity is disputed but its in the Independent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That is just unbelievable. Racial profiling nonsense. I cant believe the Perth police sent that out -mother****ers! Also cant believe that 'GFC' club rolled over.

Terrible. I'm insulted now.
    We only have Perth GAA to believe.
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/australian-police-ask-gaa-clubs-to-assist-over-drunken-irish-in-perth-26851821.html

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

jamesdiver wrote: »
    No, no we don't.

Yes, yes we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I bet you'd struggle to come up with 10 relevant links for Irish behaving badly over the last year, not to mind the 50 or so you suggest.

Well in fairness to the OP sometimes a lot of cases get very little coverage.

During 2013 only 4 Irish people sought assistance to Irish Council for Prisoners Overseas (ICPO) in Australia, during 2014 that jumped to 21.

Also not all Irish prisoners seek assistance so the number could be higher.

So aside from the all the idiot stories like getting stuck in ventilator shafts it's been reported that there's at least 1.5 Irish person jailed per month in Australia over the last year.

Considering that most people are likely to just fined etc and only those who did something pretty serious are actually imprisoned then 50 would be very conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

There was two women who suffered similar circumstances as this gentleman did a few weeks before this happened, here in southeast Queensland. Got stuck between buildings after falling through a shaft when trying to sneak into a nightclub.

This news was broadcast as two women. The story about the drunk Irishman is pure and simple racism when compared with the previous story. Why the hell do they need to broadcast it as a drunk Irishman or a remarkably stupid Irishman either.

In addition, being embarrassed by this is an embarrassment itself. He in no way represents an entire country. He's an 18 year old who did a silly thing in a foreign country that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

irishmover wrote: »
    There was two women who suffered similar circumstances as this gentleman did a few weeks before this happened, here in southeast Queensland. Got stuck between buildings after falling through a shaft when trying to sneak into a nightclub.

This news was broadcast as two women. The story about the drunk Irishman is pure and simple racism when compared with the previous story. Why the hell do they need to broadcast it as a drunk Irishman or a remarkably stupid Irishman either.

Probably because it's true.

If this guy actually was sober and smart but the media falsely portrayed him as drunk and stupid based on his nationality then your post would actually make sense.

It was the Judge who said
    “Drunk or sober, it was an absolutely remarkably stupid thing to have done,”

I can't see where the Judge was being racist, he was calling it as seen it and the media reported it.

This type of stupid post makes me laugh.

Advertisement