Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If it's too good to be true...

Options
  • 04-02-2013 3:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an apartment to rent and so I started looking at the ads from daft. Everything looks ghastly, overpriced, dirty and run-down (in my price range). Then this ad pops up: the right location, the right price, all done up, and with a nice touch: plasma screen tv mounted on the wall!!! That was the only one I liked and it turned out to be a scam! We emailed the ad and got a message from daft saying they had suspicions about who put the ad up. A few hours later we got this hilarious email from the poster in question telling us more about this unbelievable place, lowering the price by 200 euro, and asking us to send a picture of ourselves :eek:. I thought about leading them on for a laugh but my partner thinks it's a bad idea.
    Shame.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

do it,plus post a link.
    and show us this email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

If it's too good to be true then it probably is, it might just be a cover for something else, or on the absolute madness end of the scale it might be someones house and their mates just messing, silly I know, but anything's possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

There are a lot of scams like this where someone asks for a £10 deposit for a viewing appointment. This money will be returned as long as you come to the appointment. Of course when you get there the residents bought the house a year ago and photos were copied.
    Its something that targets people moving to a new country usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Shryker

That's fairy bad going. Have a bit of cop on and don't touch anything like that.
    If you're a couple and looking for a place it's much harder to find a decent gaff. A lot of places won't accept couples. Of course I'd be wary of living with one myself.
    In my experience you want to be as out there as possible, and as confrontational from the get go as you fully expect to be while in tenancy. I don't mean be a bad guy about things, but not to dissemble or seem to be agreeable.
    Daft is a pretty good place to find a nice spot. It can take percevierance, the absolute best thing to do is keep on the ball.

The best places will go the fastest. The worst places will seem to be good places but require lots of BS. The decent places will appear to be the worst when their actually great in a Big Lebowski kind of way.

That's as good as my advice gets circling 3 am. Best of luck to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If it's too good to be true then it probably is, it might just be a cover for something else, or on the absolute madness end of the scale it might be someones house and their mates just messing, silly I know, but anything's possible!

It's quite a common scam. What will happen is the 'landlord' will say they're out of the country and can't physically show them around but pay him/her the deposit and first month rent via Western Union and he/she will post the keys etc etc.

You'd be appalled how many people I've dealt with over the years who have fallen for these scams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's quite a common scam. What will happen is the 'landlord' will say they're out of the country and can't physically show them around but pay him/her the deposit and first month rent via Western Union and he/she will post the keys etc etc.

You'd be appalled how many people I've dealt with over the years who have fallen for these scams.

I found one last year. 3 apts in the same building. It wasonly after viewing one i realised all three places were photo's of the same one. In this case there was an apt, but by showing it lots, they managed to get loads of deposits.

(Note: I never paid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

lounakin wrote: »
    I'm looking for an apartment to rent and so I started looking at the ads from daft. Everything looks ghastly, overpriced, dirty and run-down (in my price range). Then this ad pops up: the right location, the right price, all done up, and with a nice touch: plasma screen tv mounted on the wall!!! That was the only one I liked and it turned out to be a scam! We emailed the ad and got a message from daft saying they had suspicions about who put the ad up. A few hours later we got this hilarious email from the poster in question telling us more about this unbelievable place, lowering the price by 200 euro, and asking us to send a picture of ourselves :eek:. I thought about leading them on for a laugh but my partner thinks it's a bad idea.
    Shame.

Just send them loads of pictures of your sexy partner with all her/his bank details and relevant documents for the laugh.

It can be something ye both look back on in a few years and have a giggle with the grand kids over. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

deco nate wrote: »
    do it,plus post a link.
    and show us this email
    Wish I could, but my partner has formally forbidden I get involved :)

Daft is an ok place, I've been a renter for years and 6 years as a couple. I find though that agents lie thru their teeth, 'extremely spacious' means ridiculously small etc...
    I also find that most places we see are mould infested, smelly and dirty. We've been very lucky thus far, having been first renters in a place we stayed in for 3 years. But other than that we had 2 very bad landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Can't find the floor or the wardrobe
    Can't find my way to the park
    Life in a bedsitter bedlam
    Afraid to go home in the dark

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE by Tom Robinson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Shryker wrote: »
    If you're a couple and looking for a place it's much harder to find a decent gaff. A lot of places won't accept couples.

I've never ever heard of a place not accepting couples. Ever.

In fact a 'professional couple' is the preferred tenants by most landlords is it not?

Where have you seen a place advertising that doesn't take couples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've never ever heard of a place not accepting couples. Ever.

In fact a 'professional couple' is the preferred tenants by most landlords is it not?

Where have you seen a place advertising that doesn't take couples?

I think they were taliking about in a house share. Not if they were taking the entire place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think they were taliking about in a house share. Not if they were taking the entire place.

Ah ok. Yeah, nobody wants to share with a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

No absolutely no house share! That was a two bedroom apartment for myself, partner and baby, we'll never share a house or an apartment. Those days are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Go for it, it might be a cannibis growhouse, win win win:D.

Advertisement