Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Witnesses in a moot?

Are there no witnesses in a moot? I'm not doing law, but could have sworn my friend said it was a moot trial. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Witnesses in a moot?

Yeah. Plaintiff and defence have 1 each tomorrow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

andrew369 wrote: »
    Are there no witnesses in a moot? I'm not doing law, but could have sworn my friend said it was a moot trial. :confused:

Mock trial maybe but moot courts don't have witnesses. Not in my experience and knowledge anyway. You are given a case brief and then you and a partner have to argue for one side of it based on your legal research.

Yeah. Plaintiff and defence have 1 each tomorrow.

That's strange. I have never seen or heard of that before. Even wiki agreed with me! Who's teaching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Mock trial maybe but moot courts don't have witnesses. Not in my experience and knowledge anyway. You are given a case brief and then you and a partner have to argue for one side of it based on your legal research.

Billy appears to disagree with you. I'd trust him!

Edit: I retract my trust! Silly billy!

• Advertisement

That's strange. I have never seen or heard of that before. Even wiki agreed with me! Who's teaching it?

You're correct it's mock tomorrow! And I said I'm prepared and I don't even know the bloody name of it!!

You're correct it's mock tomorrow! And I said I'm prepared and I don't even know the bloody name of it!!

Ah that's a minor mistake. Everyone's done that! None of us had a clue what moot was in first year!

Ah that's a minor mistake. Everyone's done that! None of us had a clue what moot was in first year!

Thanks I was starting to feel a bit stupid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I don't know what you people are on about. How can you have a moot with no Ents?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 obob24

Feel left out as a commuter pretty much. Good few weeks in now and haven't been able to go to any society events or get to know anyone at all. My fault for not putting in the effort but feels too late to get in on anything now. Alone in a crowd sort of is best way to describe it. Then the course is alright, not great. English is completely different to what I thought it would be. Went from loving it during the LC to hating it now. Anthropology is alright but can't see myself doing 3 years of it. I love philosophy and the department seems pretty good but at the moment it feels like a hobby course for people to take during first year than an actual solid course, bit easy too. Entire class seems to be a mixture of theology students and people with no actual interest in the subject. Frustrating in tutorials or just trying to talk to someone in lectures, just come away feeling like a swot. :(
    As a fellow first year commuter, I feel the exact same way. Sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

obob24 wrote: »
    As a fellow first year commuter, I feel the exact same way. Sucks.

As a second year commuter, it doesn't get any better! :(

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Can't imagine that it will :/

Forming a secret society is our only option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

We should have a daytime boardsie meet up or something to help with all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Boeing777 wrote: »

As a third year commuter.......... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Ulster Bank customers beware any phonecall beginning with +44. I've been got :( If they ring, don't answer and ring the Ulster Bank fraud team right away

Forming a secret society is our only option
    Well with you leaving us in second year it will be just down to two!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I commute too , though driving is just that little bit easier minus the damm parking issues !!

I should also add I also seem to have a knack of repeating first year so I'll probably never leave :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

As a third year commuter.......... :pac:
    As a sixth year... :(

However! I know this won't be any consolation, but it makes me feel better. A commute of 1 hour or 1.5 hours each way may very well be the minimum for jobs you end up with in the future. I'm at about 2 hours each way right now and it's still less than my last job. Actually, commuting to and from Maynooth feels like a short journey in comparison.

But that's really only on buses and trains, public transport. If I could drive, this commute would be 45-50 minutes. That makes me feel worse. If I had the money to learn to drive, get a car, pay for tax, insurance and petrol... screw it I'd just move to Maynooth and walk/cycle.

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I commute too , though driving is just that little bit easier minus the damm parking issues !!

I should also add I also seem to have a knack of repeating first year so I'll probably never leave :pac:
    You have no idea how much I envy you :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

You have no idea how much I envy you :|

It's not all that much better tbh I still need to leave the house at 7:30 at the very very latest to be on time for my 9am lecture and that time is then spent sitting in traffic on the M50 looking at a load of grumpy arseholes for an hour instead as opposed to taking the train where I could spend that down time sleeping and eating my breakfast or catching up on some college work.

Having the car also means an impromptu sneeky pint in the su between lectures is out of the question

Only real benefit is I can bring loads of crap with me in the car like my laptop , changes of clothes etc that would be a struggle to bring otherwise and also the relative ease I can come and go on if necessary as im not waiting around for a bus or train.

Can call that year The Rise of the Sith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is it true you can print in the student services centre without topping up your student card? I dont want to put money on it but I need to print something tomorrow!

The only place I know of where you can print in there is the assistive technology centre? Which, you don't need your card for, you just put your money in the jar.

It's only for students registered with the disability office though.

Ok cool, thanks! Someone is going to need to explain to me how the printers work so because I haven't a clue.

How do I go about printing in the Su? I really am clueless...

I don't have a clue how to use the new system, sorry! I just always print in the ATC :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Its actually really ok to print in the library! And this is coming from someone whos terrified to do anything by themselves incase they break everything/cause a huge scene! Like you just go to a computer choose your stuff then go to any of the printers and put your card in and theres a step by step guide on the wall! Its honestly fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Pudsy33 wrote: »

You buy a card in the Printing Press shop at the SU. It works out at 100 printing units for €5 which is sound. Pop down, theres staff there to personally help ya. :)

• Advertisement

MalCallan wrote: »
    You buy a card in the Printing Press shop at the SU. It works out at 100 printing units for €5 which is sound. Pop down, theres staff there to personally help ya. :)

That's what I did Mal, great services altogether. The computers are painfully slow though :pac:

Advertisement