Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping the takeaway delivery guy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Chocablock wrote: »
    Barely covered petrol costs and I mean barely.

basically cheap labour.

It was so depressing
    Chocablock wrote: »
    so stop being tight ass's.

You should have directed the tight ass comments to your boss and not your customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

There are certain places I always tip, one place in particular the food does be piping hot and is always early and amazing, I've tried myself with ordering it in the restaurant and bringing it home, its never as warm, I even pre heat the car!

No offence to people who deliver pizzas, but I noticed im not as great with tips towards them, I like pizza, I wouldn't order it myself, but he loves pizza, it's very disheartening paying 30 odd euro for a slab of dough and a sprinkle of ingredients, with 30 Euro in a curry house you get much more for your money.
    I'd often make my own and I'd have two pizzas for less than 10euro.

One delivery guy in particular, worked for a Chinese, he became very ill and always worked hard, myself and several others always gave him a high tip, I guess it was mainly because he had a terminal illness and we thought, hopefully he wont have to work so many hours if we tip him well. that was 12 years ago and he's still flying around, still delivering 7 days a week, I don't order in the place anymore as the prices are constantly going up and the quality if the food has plummeted.

An ex-delivery guy I know, he is a filthy pig, he was fired as he was taking food while delivering, so he'd take some chips or chicken balls, or even chicken out of the curry! He was caught after the cook got many complaints, so they set him up. That's disgusting though, his greasy fingers in your food! Yuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Do you tip your postman?
    I dont ring in and order bills and bank statements then sit down and eat them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Yeah its hilarious people blame the customer for the bad working conditions.
    I do tip however because you always treat the people who handle your food with the utmost niceness . If they want a euro or two for not spitting in your food Ill pay that.
    If everyone stopped tipping would the boss be finally made to pay a decent wage to the delivery dudes.
    Are these workers registered or collecting the dole as well . Some of them are doing a second job and making a handy few euro tax free.
    Where I grew up you could get the chinese delivery driver to get you smokes or beer in the off licence beside the take away. Kids abused it though and it had to be stopped.
    The pump dont work cuse the vandal took the handle as bob dylan would say. Its seen in nearly every line in my post . Im just as poetic as bob today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Last August we ordered a chinese takeaway. It took about an hour and a half to arrive and the five of us were starving by then. I asked how much it was and the driver told me €59.10. I went back in and said the rest of them it was €59.10, I had €20 so I need to make up €60. They must have misheard me, because they handed me €60, which I put with the €20 I had, and gave the whole €80 bones to the driver thinking I was giving him a meagre tip for the shíte delivery time.

A lovely €20.90 tip for food that was only warm on arrival and took over 90 minutes from order to plate - I'll never forget it, I was fcuking sick and haven't tipped since.

• Advertisement

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Do you tip your postman?

Yes, twenty quid every Christmas or since cash is tight, a tin of roses. Something every Christmas anyway

Our postman is a legend and have worked the area for over forty years. No house numbers and he has to know every family and all the children's names, hundreds and hundreds of names and different townlands.

It's different in towns where you might have a different postman working your area and they get transferred around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chocablock

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You should have directed the tight ass comments to your boss and not your customers

Well my boss isnt reading this right now and I think its common sense that delivery drivers are on crap money and I always tipped before I worked as one and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I see no reason to tip as they're being paid to do their job and if the rate of pay isnt good enough then they should take that up with their boss; I'm not going to subsidise it and give the place any more reason to lower their staffs wages. Also, I'm certainly not inclined to think they're giving me wonderful service since even though there are 3 pizza places within 1km of my apartment (Pizza Hut: 1km, Four Star: 900m & Dominos: 450m) it still takes between 50 minutes to an hour to get something delivered. And then, many of the drivers dont even want to get out of the car and try and get me to walk out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

I don't think they make much so I always tip something unless the service is really slow. Nothing major but normally about 1-3 euro depending on how much the order is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Keep the change - (but not the notes)

• Advertisement

Keep the change ya filthy animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I use Just-Eat quite a bit and so pay online - the look the driver gives you when he knows you have paid already is like he just got through sucking on a lemon - whereas if I order and choose 'pay on collection' - he's all smiles.

Another tactic I hate is the fumbling for change that some of them do hoping you'll say: 'Ah, sure keep it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I remember when me and some friends ordered in a chinese when we were in Florida, this old lady arrived at the door with the food. Fine we thought, pay her and she'll be on her way.

Next thing we know she walks in the door, plated up the food for us, gave us tips on what to do with the leftovers and wished us all well. It was quite bizarre but kinda nice in a weird way. She certainly earned the tip anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Call me mean, but most of the time I don't tip-they're getting enough in the delivery charge to bring me my food, although I have told them to keep the change some times, depending on how much the change is!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Just enough so they dont spunk in your pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I always tip €2. Although it's rarely for good service, usually to avoid an awkward moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Depends if the take-away is a front for the RA or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mickptre

Maybe so, my son does delivery's 2 nights a week and be assured that he does NOT receive this fee. He gets a flat fee for the night and depends upon the generosity of good people that give him a euro or two. PS the ones that don't tip are the near neighbours????

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mickptre

fussyonion wrote: »
    Call me mean, but most of the time I don't tip-they're getting enough in the delivery charge to bring me my food, although I have told them to keep the change some times, depending on how much the change is!
    Maybe so, my son does delivery's 2 nights a week and be assured that he does NOT receive this fee. He gets a flat fee for the night and depends upon the generosity of good people that give him a euro or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Usually give them a euro or two tho tbh it's been so long since I last ordered a take away we're talking about 3 years ago now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Does anyone tip the guys who deliver your takeaways? I always give them a quid but I'm beginning to wonder if this is even expected.

Tipping the takeaway guy? Why? never heard of it before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I don't tip but that is because I get off my ass and collect it myself!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

€2 usually. I always get my food hot as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

dee. wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel that way! I just moved here and it seems to be 40 minutes minimum, even though my house is about a one minute drive outside of the middle of town. In the old place I lived, delivery usually only took 10-15 minutes.

A 1 minute drive away and you have it delivered ??? Could you not drive yourself or walk !! Surely it would be far quicker. :eek::confused::eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Sometimes I tip a euro or two of they're early or eg it's icy out. But I will not tip otherwise. I refuse to subsidise anyone's wages - the employer is the problem not customers. I see this every time the subject of tipping comes up (take outs, hairdressers, beaiuticians etc) there is always a host of folks that say ah they're paid badly.
    Erm yes maybe but if that's the case they can talk to their boss.

I was in America - I felt a bit sick at the tipping culture. It's totally and utterly expected. Even if the bill clearly states its optional. It's expected. A good chunk of my money spent there went on tips. I hope that culture of tipping doesn't happen here. And yet going by responses to many of these threads it looks like it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

i was a delivery driver many moons ago(it was my second job as apprentices dont get paid well) i got a 5er an hr wage + the delivery charge + tips.

that might sound great but if it was a slow night and the tips were bad i might only make 30-35 for 5hrs work

generally the people that tip get the best service. if you went out with 5 orders and they were 3rd you would go to them first. the people that never tipped didnt get the same service. not sure how it is these days

btw - i always tip

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Domo230 wrote: »
    I thank my busdriver and tip the pizza delivery guy, yet I never say anything to my Doctor.

I thank my doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭enrique66_35

The doctor can shag off with his €50 for 5mins faux concern/lectures but the pizza-man usually gets 2-3quid or aprox 10%. Not that I'd expect better service for having a tipping rep rather I'd not find out how crap the service could be if I had the name of not tipping.

That said, I wouldn't like to see the American style of tipping for everything catch on here. They take the piss over there looking for tips for any kind of service at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

dee. wrote: »
    Rarely. All of the takeaways here charge for delivery (usually €2-€4) so I don't see why I should pay them extra when i'm paying them to delivery my food and waiting around 40-60 minutes for it arrive barely warm.
    If you tipped then the food would be warmer and get to you quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

If you tipped then the food would be warmer and get to you quicker.

How would they know if you are going to tip?

I always consider tipping those in the service sector - by which I mean bar staff, restaurant personnel, take away delivery folk and taxi drivers etc.

I worked through uni as a lounge boy and the only tip I got was to use a black binliner on my arm when I was unblocking toilets. I then worked as a bank cashier for a stint and concluded that a lot of folk out there are complete ba*tards, treating me like sh1te on their shoe.

As a result, I ordinarily tip. A small/tiny amount to make a point if required and vice-versa to foster positive reinforcement. If you can't throw a euro or two at a delivery driver then, sorry, you're truly a scabby git.

Advertisement