Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newly qualifieds; The future, moving abroad etc

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Any idea of how it worked out for him?
    Last I heard he qualified, set up his own practice and still going after 2 years. He seems to enjoy the sense of independence the practice gives but on the other side there is the regular paycheck that IT gives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Anyone brave enough to predict massive improvements in 4 years? Studying law is something I've always been passionate about and have always wanted to do but it's never really been an option until now, I really don't want to change my mind. It's also going to cost me a small fortune in fees etc and thats something else I have to keep in mind.
    It is of dubious wisdom to take on or pass up any course offer with an eye to the economic future of the country. Plenty of people who started law in 2007, when times were good, are currently broke and unemployed. There are also students who started out back then that are currently doing very well for themselves. Water will find its level: a good student will shine, regardless of the economic weather conditions.

If you enjoy the law and are willing to immerse yourself in your course then my advice to you would be to keep your head in the sand as regards your salary expectations down the line.

However, since you have mentioned that the cost will be a burden to you, and that you already have a degree, why not just seek a professional qualification with the degree that you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Anyone brave enough to predict massive improvements in 4 years?

"Massive" is a big word [/pun]. I predict a significant increase in transactional work by then. Litigation will follow a few years behind that. This isn't really based on any empirical evidence, just general impressions of the market - including the recent reporting of modest increases in hiring by some firms.
    I've also sent out some letters and CV's to local practices for some work experience over the summer. I'd be happy with a few hours a week, just to even get a feel of the working environment. This a good idea or waste of time?

Good idea. I have trawled CV for trainee positions and the more relevant experience on a CV the greater the chance of the document making it into the "interview" pile.

If you have always wanted a career in law then studying should be easier for you than someone who is half committed, sees it as an easy path to money, or is studying law because their parents think it is a good idea. Good academics are the core criteria for making it to the "interview" pile. A lot of firms, rightly or wrongly, favour TCD/UCD grads. You should aim for a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I still firmly believe the legal services bill will revolutionise things for younger lawyers. It's not great for the status quo, and it will certainly mean less people coming into the profession and "making it big", but it should allow young lawyers to eek out a liveable professional life with money and potential to go further, or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

FS

Why do you think the Legal Services bill will improve matters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

It is of dubious wisdom to take on or pass up any course offer with an eye to the economic future of the country. Plenty of people who started law in 2007, when times were good, are currently broke and unemployed. There are also students who started out back then that are currently doing very well for themselves. Water will find its level: a good student will shine, regardless of the economic weather conditions.

If you enjoy the law and are willing to immerse yourself in your course then my advice to you would be to keep your head in the sand as regards your salary expectations down the line.

However, since you have mentioned that the cost will be a burden to you, and that you already have a degree, why not just seek a professional qualification with the degree that you have?

Burden maybe a bit strong but some sacrifices will have to be made but I'm 100% prepared to do them. My degree was enjoyable but even halfway through it I knew it wasn't for me. I was working for a magazine for awhile and when my contract finished there wasn't much work here so I went teaching for a year and knew that no way did I want to sit at a computer at all. So after much debating about what to I decided a complete new career direction and law has never really been an option until now. Hopefully I've made the right decision!
    impr0v wrote: »
    "Massive" is a big word [/pun]. I predict a significant increase in transactional work by then. Litigation will follow a few years behind that. This isn't really based on any empirical evidence, just general impressions of the market - including the recent reporting of modest increases in hiring by some firms.

Good idea. I have trawled CV for trainee positions and the more relevant experience on a CV the greater the chance of the document making it into the "interview" pile.

If you have always wanted a career in law then studying should be easier for you than someone who is half committed, sees it as an easy path to money, or is studying law because their parents think it is a good idea. Good academics are the core criteria for making it to the "interview" pile. A lot of firms, rightly or wrongly, favour TCD/UCD grads. You should aim for a first.

Thats the plan!

Thanks for all the advice folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Burden maybe a bit strong but some sacrifices will have to be made but I'm 100% prepared to do them. My degree was enjoyable but even halfway through it I knew it wasn't for me. I was working for a magazine for awhile and when my contract finished there wasn't much work here so I went teaching for a year and knew that no way did I want to sit at a computer at all. So after much debating about what to I decided a complete new career direction and law has never really been an option until now. Hopefully I've made the right decision!

Thats the plan!

Thanks for all the advice folks.

There is still sitting at a computer, not constant, but there is.

Also, a lot of Solicitors do a lot of office work too. So beware of what you are getting into. In saying that it doesn't seem to be a regular office job, you will be meeting clients and attending counsel and other court hearings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

To reiterate what chops has said, there is a lot of sitting at computers or if you're feeling old school, sitting in front of a book.

Really though, there is. If you think its all about appearing in court, you need to re-evaluate immediately. So much is done behind the scenes, the vast majority. It's an iceberg profession.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

NoQuarter wrote: »
    It's an iceberg profession.

Cold, slow moving and woe betide anyone who gets in their path?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Cold, slow moving and woe betide anyone who gets in their path?

And inhabited with funny looking creatures in all black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

NoQuarter wrote: »
    To reiterate what chops has said, there is a lot of sitting at computers or if you're feeling old school, sitting in front of a book.

Really though, there is. If you think its all about appearing in court, you need to re-evaluate immediately. So much is done behind the scenes, the vast majority. It's an iceberg profession.

Previous post was meant to read sitting at a computer all day.

No, I didn't really think that to be honest. Could be wrong but I'm assuming its office, meeting clients, courts. Not in that order but its the general idea that I'd have, hense why I sent out some work experience letters to some local practices.

Sitting in front of a book wouldn't bother me in the slightest. With all the money, effort, commitment that I'll have to put in, of course I gave it serious consideration. Its nearly the only thing I've thought about for the best part of 12 months and I'm still 100% certain it's what I want to do and I'm prepared to give everything to achieve it.

Advertisement