Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best before / Use by dates?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

So I was reading the tread about blind people knowing if their food has gone off and it got me wondering am I a bit odd in the way I deal with this.

If I notice that an Item has gone passed its use by or best before date it has to fail one of the 3 tests before I will throw it out.

1: I will first look at it to see if it’s the wrong colour or got mold growing on it or something. If it has then bin if not then it’s on to stage 2.

2 I will then sniff it to see if it smells the way it should or not (not always sure on this one as sometimes I cant remember what it should smell like to begin with. Again if it passes this stage just one more to go before I dismiss the date on the lid as mere hearsay and connector.

3: Taste test. I take a small nibble or drink. If it tastes as it should I wait a couple of seconds just to make sure It doesn’t repeat on me then try a bit more.

After this if it’s passed all the stages I will eat or drink it no matter how far passed the date it is. I shop for one (forever alone :() so quite often things go past the date given on the packaging but I’m not made of money and hate throwing away food.

Anyone else got any rules they go by? Do you stick to the date no matter how good it looks and smells? Is it dependent on how hungry you are or how far the shops are from your house? Do tell!

When should it go in the bin? 85 votes

At midnight on the last day of the best before date it goes in the bin!
    0%
    I give a bit of leeway for best before but use by must be obeyed!
    7%
    Ronanc1stevejrtonycascarinoAn.Duine.Eiledeconduosmugchik 6 votes
    If it’s a bit over ill test it if its okay I’ll use but only a couple of days after.
    21%
    folandavetheravenicowaAmiranidf1985TicktactoeLady ChattertonVanishingActsRaspberriesLisaLeeKERSPLAT!K.FlyerFatherLencucbucRachaelVOB_FanaticRachyPieClimberC 18 votes
    As long as it pasts my tests Ill eat it.
    38%
    unkelAntiRipMimikyuenglanderCuppaCocoaSparkoAardAzureus5uspectCatari JaguarSeachmallConor BourkeBigginsMr BenevolentSanjuro[Deleted User]smurfy89Shivers26SnowieEverEvolving 33 votes
    Sure isn’t penicillin just moldy food anyway?
    27%
    --Kaiser--DocAnnasopraPherekydesenda1tolosencemeraldstarBurning EclipsecoolmooseCheshire Catgeorgem25mahamageehadSRFC90S.R.F.C.Head_HunterRayMGlico ManMinGhost Bustermartineatworld 23 votes
    I let the Misses / Mammy deal with that kind of thing.
    4%
    BeruthielGhost EstateoxyseptDaegerty 4 votes
    I don’t eat human food.
    1%
    Cypher_sounds 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If it's bread it goes out before it goes off (because the wife is allergic to penicillin), but anything else is ok until it's unpalatable.

A little bitlot of curry powder covers a multitude! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

I think a dose of 'common sense' is the best way to judge the BBD. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Yeah use by date is generally a rough idea, often shortened to make you buy extra stuff you don't really need. If it looks/smells/tastes funny thats how you know. ALWAYS OBEY THE DATE ON MEDICATION.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I smell it, if I start heaving, I'd consider throwing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Use by date is followed but I give BBD a bit more wiggle room these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

If it’s a bit over ill test it if its okay I’ll use but only a couple of days after.
    It mostly depends on what it is! If its' bread, milk, yoghurt, fruit, veggies, tinned stuff I don't particularly care, I used my bit of common sense.

When it comes to meat and eggs though, I chuck everything that's at or over it's use by date. Totally paranoid about those two particularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

If it smells or tastes bad I don't eat it. Simples. I hate BB/Use by dates as so many people have no common sense about them and chuck everything as soon as it hits the date, thinking it's gonna kill them or something :rolleyes: Such a waste of food. I've seen so many posts online along the lines of 'OMG I just ate a cereal bar and then realised the date on it is 2 days ago!!!! Will it make me really sick?? OMG Help!?!?!?"

Even eggs and yoghurts I've eaten weeks after the given date. Hasn't killed me yet.

I ate a selection box yesterday that expired in April 2010 and it was perfect. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

mackg wrote: »
    ALWAYS OBEY THE DATE ON MEDICATION.

Interesting, I heard the complete opposite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

BEST BEFORE, NOT BAD AFTER, That's my rule.

As for medication i have often taking meds that were years out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I let my friends or the cat eat/drink it first. If they are ok afterwards, then I have some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i buy bklue chease when its going over it sell bye date and leave it for 3 more days its yum same with all chease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

smell it, feel it if alright taste it, if alright game ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

If it smells/looks ok then Ill have it.

Except for raw meat...but then again you can usually tell fairly sharpish if thats outa date! I have been known to pick the mouldy bits of bread or slice it off cheese and eat the rest, hasnt killed me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Milk eggs and anything else the colour white I'm usually careful not to consume after the UBD.

also, meat.

Come to think of it, I took some flu meds last night that were out since october last year, I havent died yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Damn public poll:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

The missus has regularly baked with eggs that are over a month past their 'use by' date. If an egg is gone bad, you would smell it instantly. No smell = getting used. Never once been ill as a result of eating these eggs, so similar to yourself Doc, if it passes the tests, I'll eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Everything Tastes Supreme With Heinz Salad Cream.....

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Pork or beef products I'd generally use them up to 3 or 4 days past their date once they are well cooked through.
    Same with convenience food (quiche or pies for example), biscuits might as well have no dates as far as i'm concerned. If the packet is sealed they'll be grand to eat (not that they'd be left uneaten that long anyway).

Chicken and fish or any dairy, I would never use these past their dates.

I've only ever had food poisoning once in my life and ironically I was already in hospital when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Pork or beef products I'd generally use them up to 3 or 4 days past their date once they are well cooked through.
    Same with convenience food (quiche or pies for example), biscuits might as well have no dates as far as i'm concerned. If the packet is sealed they'll be grand to eat (not that they'd be left uneaten that long anyway).

Chicken and fish or any dairy, I would never use these past their dates.

I've only ever had food poisoning once in my life and ironically I was already in hospital when it happened.

...so the ironing was not delicious?

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Use by - I throw out

Best before - I look at the food, smell it. If okay, eat away. If a spot of mould on a slice of bread, pick it off, if bigger, throw it out. Etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

If I don't puke within the first 24 hours after consumption, I consider it all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I throw out anything that has passed its use by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Especially for milk, the simple smell test tells all.
    Generally don't really look at best before dates. For fresh meat, yes the use by is quite important but for most things a bit of common sense and understanding of the food is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭oxysept

I let the Misses / Mammy deal with that kind of thing.
    For Food - common sense if it looks smells & tastes ok .... then its ok..... I to shop for one..... if I followed the dates I'd waste too much food.

Medicines - that's interesting - If your already sick why risk making your self worse - but I've worked in the pharma industry - Some times the date is there because beyond that time the product is less effective than it should be - other times it can be dangerous
    Do I use certain Meds beyond their Expiry date - yes - but I know I shouldn't:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I never check the dates, I just neck it and worry about the result later. I'm well past my sell-by date, I can hardly hold it against anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I use the same 3 tests on the dusty Trojan condoms I find in my wallet >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Eggs are best before, not use buy. They're good for weeks after the date printed on them. Any suppliers of eggs in Ireland would be heavily monitored for the presence of salmonella in producing hens so the chances of anyone actually getting sick from eating an infected egg are minimal. This is the case for both free-range and battery hens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Like the OP, first look at it and see if it looks ok, then smell it to see if it smells good and if it has passed all that then simply depending on what type of food - either cook it fully or simply taste it.

Two days ago I used the above method, passed all stages, the food was 4 months past it use by date, I did not get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

irish-stew wrote: »
    Use by - I throw out

Best before - I look at the food, smell it. If okay, eat away. If a spot of mould on a slice of bread, pick it off, if bigger, throw it out. Etc etc.

It's amazing the amount of people who don't understand English.

"Best before" means just that. Loads of stuff is still grand to consume long after it's best by date. My mate's folks trun out loads of beer that was past its best by date. WTF??!?!?!? :confused::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Pherekydes wrote:
    If it's bread it goes out before it goes off (because the wife is allergic to penicillin), but anything else is ok until it's unpalatable.
    Ya many things are still QUITE GOOD after that date.. One time i had a loaf of WHITE BREAD that was STILL GOOD 8 months after the "Best if used by" date.... (It was loaded with preservatives -- DISGUSTING) If was HARD but no mold on it......... (Due to the chemicals)

I didnt eat it,i was just purposely letting it sit month after month seeing if Mold would come.... IT DIDNT!!!!!!

Advertisement