Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

loose weight and man boobs

• 05-07-2009 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, i am 23 and 16 and a half stone. well i have massive man boobs and really want to loose weight and preferable gain muscle too but im really unsure about the science of it. I am considering taking some of those muscle supplemnts but will this make me fat whats the story i really need advice but i dont in any circumstances want to go into the gym

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

colgate wrote: »
    Hi, i am 23 and 16 and a half stone. well i have massive man boobs and really want to loose weight and preferable gain muscle too but im really unsure about the science of it. I am considering taking some of those muscle supplemnts but will this make me fat whats the story i really need advice but i dont in any circumstances want to go into the gym

You are in the wrong forum.
    This should be directed to fitness -->

Ill shoot a reply while i'm here though.
    1.Forget ANY muscle supplements for the time being. Taking supplements do not make you fat. Eating more calories than you consume make you fat.

2.It's all in the diet. Post your typical daily diet - every little detail!!don't skimp. A lot of people think they have a good diet when they dont. Cut out all the ****e. Eat whole unprocessed foods. Lots of healthy fats like nuts, nut butters, oily fish. Lots of protein like cottage cheese, lean chicken/steak, fish , nuts. Good carbs like wholegrain rice and pasta, porridge, wholegrain bread, ryvita. Cut out the bad carbs i.e white bread, pasta rice etc. It's extremley hard to always out train a bad diet.

3.So you are not willing to go to the gym?Why if you don't mind me asking? A good weights program will sort you up. Focus on compound lifts such as seadlifts, squats, bench press etc and throw in some isolation work. Go for jogs. If your very unfit, walk some, then jog some and build up your fitness base. Google the couch to 5k program and check out exrx.net You can buy weight/barbells etc from a good sports outlet/argos

4. It takes a bit of sacrafice to lose weight so if you are serious you will need the head screwed on. Everything in moderation too. You can still have the odd treat but remember it is very easy to undo a weeks long efforts in one bad day.

5. Go to the fitneess forum. Read all the stickies at the top and then have a think and come back with questions

Could a mod move this to the fitness forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Moved to Fitness from Men's Health. Best of luck OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Am in the same boat, albeit 32 and a stone and half heavier. Just wondering what types of nuts are good/healthy to eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

Am in the same boat, albeit 32 and a stone and half heavier. Just wondering what types of nuts are good/healthy to eat?

I bought a Cross-trainer two months ago and do 1 hour every day, stopped eating junk food, and lost 1 stone so far -was 15 stones when i started-, and its much better. If you need any help ask and I will try my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

I'd agree with ULStudent up to the grains (bread/pasta) - cut these out.

For a good lifting set, Irish-Lifting.com will sort you out.

Would you consider personal training if the gym isn't your thing?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Do you drink a lot of beer OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 C.Rizzle

If you looking to loose the weight and the man boobs, dont take anything just run and loose the weight man. beacause like if ya start taking that stuff and building up your gona get heavier coz mucles heavier that fat so if you do it for two months an give up your back at square one but a stone heavier this time if not more! Loose abit first would be my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Its possible to lose weight without going to the gym.

I bought a diary in Eason's and wrote down everything I ate for the following months, so that I could see where to cut calories:
    e.g. Breakfast on the day of the first entry looked like this:
    Meusli 150g; 555 Calories; 10g fat;
    Milk 150ml; 74 Calories; 3.5g fat

According to the diary (which is on front of me now), I was exactly 15 stone on Jan 25th, and at 6 ft 5" or so I wasn't that overweight. I was down to 14 stone within 6 weeks and thats where I wanted to stop, but the weight loss seemed to have a life of its own. I went as low as 12 stone 9 or so, and could see all of my ribs, before I managed to get more calories back into my diet and recover a bit.

Long story short, diet alone without excercise might do it but I don't think its the healthy way to go.

If you don't want to go the gym, have a look at www.scoobysworkshop.com for tips on strength training at home. I came across it on another thread today and I am going to give it a try.

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    I bought a Cross-trainer two months ago and do 1 hour every day, stopped eating junk food, and lost 1 stone so far -was 15 stones when i started-, and its much better. If you need any help ask and I will try my best.

How long did that take you, out of curiousity (to shift the stone, not write the reply)?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    I bought a Cross-trainer two months ago
    How long did that take you, out of curiousity (to shift the stone, not write the reply)?

I'd say two months or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

C.Rizzle wrote: »
    If you looking to loose the weight and the man boobs, dont take anything just run and loose the weight man. beacause like if ya start taking that stuff and building up your gona get heavier coz mucles heavier that fat so if you do it for two months an give up your back at square one but a stone heavier this time if not more! Loose abit first would be my advice

Oh dear.

OP running willl help with weight loss (if its ok on your knees, cycle otherwise), but so will lifting weights.
    weight training will build muscle tissue and increase your metabolism slightly.
    by using weight training and cardio training you will see a reduction in body fat.

read the stickies on diet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

colgate wrote: »
    1. Supplements aren't magic.
    2. Training works...and by training I mean....just about any type of physical activity...do it regularly and consistently....some is good...more is better.
    3. Dieting works....stop filling your hole....if you are fat and have man boobs it's because you consume more energy than you need....stopping that would be a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Why no gym? If it's cos your overweight, no-one gives a crap. The guys in really good shape in there are all far too busy looking at themselves. If you just don't like gym then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sfag

Losing weight involves eating less.
    Eating less involvels a change of life style.

Gym it if you want to get strong (weights) - though you wont lose any weight - probably will gain - muscle and fat.

Cardio if you want to get fit - you wont lose weight here either as you will eat more after wards.

After all exercise you'll feel hungrier and probably replish the lost calories with additional grub.

If you cant resist reaching for food then go out and join a club - or even hit the pub - as long as you walk to it and from it and dont eat on the way home.

Get vain - I recommend it.

Contrary to conventional wisdom I'd recommend skipping breakfast and supper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

sfag wrote: »

Gym it if you want to get strong (weights) - though you wont lose any weight - probably will gain - muscle and fat.

Cardio if you want to get fit - you wont lose weight here either as you will eat more after wards.

After all exercise you'll feel hungrier and probably replish the lost calories with additional grub.

If you cant resist reaching for food then go out and join a club - or even hit the pub - as long as you walk to it and from it and dont eat on the way home.

explain why lifting weights adds fat?

Hit the pub!!!
    Yeah cos the calories burned walking to it wont be put on in excess in the pub!!

skipping breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!

OP dont listen to this BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Ah - did you go to upstairs-hollywood-medical-school aswell?!!

Exercise makes you fat because you eat more afterwards... can I subscribe to your newsletter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Can we make this post a sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Roper wrote: »
    Can we make this post a sticky?

defo it should be stickied with the advice to do the exact opposite!

DO LIFT
    DO CARDIO
    DONT GET VAIN
    DONT GO TO THE PUB :D

guys - i'm may have been brief but I'm sticking by my points.

Theres no point in doing weights if you dont eat excess calories - that means fat gain as well as muscle. If you dont eat then you dont grow muscle (perhaps expert nutrition disciples are excepted here)

my advice is geared to a beginner who has no interest in the gym - theres no point in giving him the full health lifestyle hit.
    Most people trying to shed pounds have no interest in prolonged exercise.

I lost a ton of fat before by drinking moderately every night for four months - skipping breakfast and supper - and hey I was healthier cos I was lighter - I was 30 at the time.

There is a difference between losing fat and getting healthy - remember that. Hell - even a diet of coffee and fags will do it.

I've being doing heavy weights and regular cardio for years - I never lose weight until I adjust my calorific intake downward.

Those are the bottom lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Theres no point in doing weights if you dont eat excess calories - that means fat gain as well as muscle. If you dont eat then you dont grow muscle (perhaps expert nutrition disciples are excepted here)

my advice is geared to a beginner who has no interest in the gym - theres no point in giving him the full health lifestyle hit.

I lost a ton of fat before by drinking moderately every night for four months - skipping breakfast and supper - and hey I was healthier cos I was lighter - I was 30 at the time.

There is a difference between losing fat and getting healthy - remember that. Hell - even a diet of coffee and fags will do it.

I've being doing heavy weights and regular cardio for years - I never lose weight until I adjust my calorific intake downward.

I know it's over used but words fail me right now.. SERIOUSLY!!
    facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

It's actually you who needs an advise about proper nutrition.

I cant actually believe that you posted that:eek:

I appreciate your input and your opinion to which you are entitled to

but for me personally it is lot of b.....s

To The OP

Read the sticky about food&nutrition

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876750

There is plenty info there:)

Have enjoyed your replies.

Have to say I'm suprised at the derision. I sense a deviation from party dogma is not tolerated here.

You seem to think I know nothing about nutrition or exercise.

You guys remind me abit of answering an exam question without reading it first.
    The OP said no gym - he's is being honest. The majority of dieters hate exercise. Give him simple advice.

1. To lose fat - eat less & walk plenty - that's it.
    2. To lose fat quickly - starve.
    3. To live longer and ward off diseases - eat nutritionally and get strong.
    4. To get strong - lift & push heavy things.
    5. To get fit - run fast.
    6. To stay thin - change your lifestyle (ie do points 1, 3, 4, 5, & 6)

I eat well and exercise 6 days a weeks. I up to lifting twice my own body weight.
    I never lose weight & am not trying to.
    I can lose weight tomorrow by skipping meals. I prefer that to smaller meals. I've tried both and the latter works for me.
    Fast periods - I'd recommend. They work.
    You wont lose weight if you dont fee a little hungry between meals.

As for vanity – I’d say reasons of aesthetics are the reason most people to go the gym.
    No 1 above is all it takes to lose fat but your on a loser if you cant control greed for food - in this instance people should look for ways & tricks of supressing the appetite.

t-ha wrote: »
    Ah - did you go to upstairs-hollywood-medical-school aswell?!!

Exercise makes you fat because you eat more afterwards... can I subscribe to your newsletter?

google the following ....
    Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME

It's actually you who needs an advise about proper nutrition.

I cant actually believe that you posted that:eek:

I appreciate your input and your opinion to which you are entitled to

but for me personally it is lot of b.....s

To The OP

Read the sticky about food&nutrition

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876750

There is plenty info there:)

coffee - fags - chocs - cheese - arragh.

google the following:
    "French Women Don't Get Fat"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Its not exatly rocket science

Go to a gym, sign up, start a simple work out routine
    go 3/4 times a week

a simple routen would be like

treadmill 10 min warm up

legs
    chest
    shoulders
    abs
    biceps
    triceps
    back

this will give you muscle mass, which will help you burn more calories

next you will need to radically change your diet

lose all of the following from your diet

alcohol
    sugar
    stripped carbs (white bread/ white pasta)

you need to break up your meals into 6 smaller portions and dont eat anything 3 hours before you sleep

in order to lose weight you will have to work out you base metabolism rate and eat 500 - 1000 calories less then that per day.

If you are severely over weight you will see yourself improve every week, you should drop about 2.5 pounds every week.

and last bit of advice is to stick to it, one you have been doing it for 21 days you will be able to keep to it.

You will also notice the benefits too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

I am in a similar position to the OP and maybe I can help as I'm about a month into doing what he is considering. My two cents are...

1. The stickies about nutrition and exercise are brilliant, follow them and you won't go wrong.

2. Reconsider the Gym thing, if for one reason only, I chose to go to the Gym for more than my fitness. As a result of one month's training, I feel much more energetic each day, the difference regular exercise has made to my attitude to everyday life problems makes the effort well worth it.

3. Knowing the credentials of the people who have already taken an interest in your question, are they foolish to base their whole lives around health and fitness even to the point of helping out strangers like you and me? Join a Gym and thank them later.

Best of luck whatever way you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Reducing food intake , eating sensible food and exercise - it's a combination of all three.

Advertisement