Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Still thinking nuke as a option ?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭

this is staggering - the same money we own on the bail out , to clean the sellafield site :eek:

Is this a indication of the the true cost of this system , or just bungling by British governments ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0204/breaking9.html

most worrying thing is the statement that the spent fuel and waste are being stored in "out dated buildings ", this place is 60 miles from out capital :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Damnit, I thought this was going to be a Jedward thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Working with them is a exercise in banging you head against a wall. To make money on work with them you do up a quote and triple it.

Eg you set up a meeting for Wednesday. You fly to England. Hire car/get a taxi. Arrive for them to decide there too busy today call back some other day.

Everyone is wasteful and doesnt care in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

dj jarvis wrote: »
    this place is 60 miles from out capital :eek:

A boy racer lives next door to me! :eek: OMGWTFBBQ!

On a cost per megawatt produced Nuclear energy is by far the cheapest out of all that's available.

On a deaths per megawatt produced Nuclear is also the least deadly. That's even after Chernobyl. Coal and oil have killed multiples of nuclears count.

Please also bear in mind that the Chernobyl, long mile island, and fukishima (did i spell that right?) plants were all very old designs.
    Never designs are far more efficient, have far better safety built in, and are built to a far higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

CruelCoin wrote: »
    A boy racer lives next door to me! :eek: OMGWTFBBQ!

On a cost per megawatt produced Nuclear energy is by far the cheapest out of all that's available.

On a deaths per megawatt produced Nuclear is also the least deadly. That's even after Chernobyl. Coal and oil have killed multiples of nuclears count.

Please also bear in mind that the Chernobyl, long mile island, and fukishima (did i spell that right?) plants were all very old designs.
    Never designs are far more efficient, have far better safety built in, and are built to a far higher standard.

yea , thats great

but i dont remember mention safety as the prime concern
    its the cost of cleaning it up afterwords , so even if the plant design in ultra modern , it still can cost the earth

look at finland , their nuke station is now 5 years behind and 3 times the asking price and is not even running yet , and then they have to pay for it to be taken away in about 40 years , this does not include the running cost of the place and not to mention the fuel is running out , its a rare as platinum , and who in their right mind would burn platinum ?

anyway its about the end of life costs , not the question if you should get one in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Build it in a disused mine miles underground in the first place, then just bury it when the time comes

• Advertisement
Advertisement