Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Don't Panic - but Earth is for another relative close shave.

Options
  • 04-02-2013 12:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/science/astronomy/article3677097.ece
    By most judgements, nearly 20,000 miles is not a near miss. But for an asteroid weighing 130,000 tonnes and circling the Sun at 18,000mph, it is a very near miss indeed.

On February 15, asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass our planet at a distance that lies inside the orbit of many of our communication satellites, although anyone hoping to improve their Valentine’s Day chances by arguing that the 14th could be humanity’s last night on Earth will be disappointed: astronomers are certain that the asteroid will miss. Travelling at five miles per second, it will do so, however, by a margin that is vanishingly small in astronomical terms.

Another section:
    It will, however, certainly be visible if — as is just about possible — it collides with a satellite. Orbiting at 22,000 miles above the equator, geostationary satellites are among the farthest from the Earth. They are placed there so as to have an orbital period of 24 hours, thus making them appear to stay in the same position. Just before 7pm the asteroid will pass through this disk with a small chance of hitting something. At about 8pm it will pass out the other end, its path changed by Earth’s gravity — or by knocking out a TV sports satellite.

So heads up (or down if your scared) for a good view if possible, for this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Something roughly the same size caused this little dent in Earth about 50,000 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's cool, sure we're all gonna die on Dec 21 2012 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

oh god please don't knock out the internet satellite (I don't know how space works, is that a thing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's cool, sure we're all gonna die on Dec 21 2012 anyway!

Time machine topic is 3 above.

Just hope that the scientists haven't got their units mixed up!

It could be 20.000 millimetres rather than miles, just like a number of other space incidents in recent years! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Duiske wrote: »
    Something roughly the same size caused this little dent in Earth about 50,000 years ago.

Aye.
    Even if it hit Earth, its not thought to be a possible extinction even but would seriously do some dame to a good size city.
    (Which WILL NOT happen folks - come out of your bunkers)

However... depending on Valentines night and how you feel about your then partner, tell them to step outside, stating that you have a rock for them... you might just get lucky - or not! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thought this was going to be about Beyoncé singing at the Super Bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Some lucky ones defiantly might feel the earth move this valentines day.

Thought this was going to be about Beyoncé singing at the Super Bowl

Naaa, that topic is covered in the mime section. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Will me sky still wurk, ders a match on dat weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

laugh wrote: »
    Will me sky still wurk, ders a match on dat weekend.

I didn't read the whole thread but it appears we're all going to die. Feck. :(

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I didn't read the whole thread but it appears we're all going to die. Feck. :(

Look on the bright-side - no more Tallafornia! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Do iodine tablets protect against this aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

I'm surprised that the astronomers can't tell whether or not it will hit a satellite, seems like a reasonably straightforward equation...

Boombastic wrote: »

The only thing they can do is protect you from getting pregnant if you hold them tightly between your knees, using your knees! ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

IceFjoem wrote: »
    I'm surprised that the astronomers can't tell whether or not it will hit a satellite, seems like a reasonably straightforward equation...

Oh yeah back of napkin stuff, amateurs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boombastic wrote: »
    yes

but you'll need an awful lot of them to build that shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

don't worry everybody, worst case scenario: Moe's bar gets destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Maybe they found out about this on the 29 of January leaving them just over 18 days to send two space shuttles filled with brave oil drillers to save us all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Duiske wrote: »

That one was only 30tons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What are we supposed to do?

*serious voice*
    "We drill!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The Tunguska Event 30th July 1908, happened in a remote part of Siberia. An asteroid exploded above the earth with 15 megatons of energy, which is approximately 1,000 times greater than the Hiroshima bomb. The blast was heard 1,000 miles away. A shock wave knocked people off their feet and broke windows hundreds of kilometres away. Apparently, the night sky glowed for weeks afterwards.

The location of the blast was not discovered until 20 years later by Soviet authorities due to the extreme remoteness of the location.

20 miles in every direction from the epicentre of the impact, trees were knocked down.

The Tunguska Event was caused by an object which is thought to be 60m in diameter. Can you imagine the potential damage from a larger object travelling at the same speed?

Interesting video on the Tunguska Event:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

phasers wrote: »
    oh god please don't knock out the internet satellite (I don't know how space works, is that a thing?)

It's fine. Whatever tf is going on with my line atm I think getting career pigeons would be faster anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Doom wrote: »
    That one was only 30tons

Multiply that by about 10,000 and your getting close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I'm beginning to regret only learning the metric system now! Oh wait, no.

Advertisement