Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New maths/log tables

• 29-08-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the new maths tables that are approved for use in the sate exams replacing the old log tables?

gf brought em home last night, they've got all the formulas for physics and circuit diagrams for science in them as well, she says they weren't told that the tables would change so much or at least she cant remember any des circular about it. Will all students be able to use this in Maths/Science/Physics/Chemistry/Biology exams this year.

Surely LC higher physics etc is a very different course now that you don't have to learn off your formulae.....just the page they are on, all in favour by the way...I think it should be about being able to apply the formula correctly and understand it, not just learn it off like an automaton.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

was chatting to SEC last week and few inspectors and yes, the new tables are IT for next years exams. Big but hold a lot. Wonder how the ord level students will fair with them though, the students that won't buy them and see them for 1st time in an exam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭amacca

TheDriver wrote: »
    was chatting to SEC last week and few inspectors and yes, the new tables are IT for next years exams. Big but hold a lot. Wonder how the ord level students will fair with them though, the students that won't buy them and see them for 1st time in an exam

I can imagine that a lot of the ordinary level students that are not familiar with them will waste this resource come exam time. I can also imagine that there will be a significant number of these students.

+ I would think there will be a lot of frustrated teachers having told students exactly what pages to find relevant formulae on multiple times and how to use them in a given situation only for the usual devil may care student cohort to ignore them completely.

It really changes drastically how you would go about teaching/learning a subject like physics though, students at higher level no longer have to learn off 50/60 formulae + they are divided by category in the tables, thats a huge change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Can anyone buy these? Would they be in school supply shops? They sound interesting, and yes, I think we should have gone beyond learning a bunch of formulas off by heart years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

there will be on sale in easons etc. They are 4 euro, nice big yoke, A5 size. I got mine off SEC at a meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Eccles

Very long and convoluted publication...bound to cause confusion, not that the old one was user friendly, but by God we're familiar with it long enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement