Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got a complaint

• 11-05-2002 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Are you sick of getting bad service from everyone. Sick of complaining and getting no sadisfaction. Love to tell someone,

Have an idea for a cool site and need to know if people are intrested.

would you be happy if when a company give you a bad service and you complain all you get is OK WE WILL LOOK INTO THAT and then never hear from them again.

or they promise a product at £10 but the extras for that service are £100 are you sick.

I THINK WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL PEOPLE ON A NEW SITE.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Do you mean like, an angry slag-off website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

It sounds to me like he means a 'watchdog' kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Yeah OK, I'm up for that! I'm currently on a project at the moment but I'll tell you when I'm ready!

We'll probably need more than 2 people though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Casey

I think thats an excellent idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

At the very least we could have a "consumer affairs" community forum here on the boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

personal issues - watch dog site... no i don't see the relivance over to webmaster with ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Humm. What is this doing on the Webmasters boards?

If you looking for people to do a web site ... ill do it for you. I do all my scripting in ASP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

If any1 wants to be a mod or help please e-mail me at franksmyth@oceanfree.net

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

babyhack eh?

whats you at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Messin around with some images possibly for this project

wol.gif

whine002.gif

any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

they're class, fair play.

Cheers, I`m sure theres better but it`s hard to work on something when there is more or less no info on the respective topic. I think the thread starter has gone awol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Very good pcirl.com (I like the top one meself).

I've been meaning to set up a consumer rights site meself for some time, just a set of forums with the usual suspects - comms, hardware, travel, etc - where people could vent their frustration about the bad service that's inherent in medium to large businesses these day. The "responsibility to our shareholders" defense is starting to wear thin with me, and being in the middle of Naomi Klein's No Logo isn't helping matters. (It's a very frustrating book to read, but it's also mandatory reading. It should certainly be mandatory reading for corporate executives!)

The main reason I've never gotten around to it is that, well, I haven't gotten around to it; but I have to admit that there has always been a worry in the back of my mind that honest, genuine "frustration venting" will inevitably turn into mindless bitching, much like has happened on the IrelandOffline forum in the past. In IrelandOffline's case, this was handled by taking IrelandOffline representatives* out of the mix, and it worked, but in this case that wouldn't be possible. That would leave you with two options:

a) open it up, disclaim responsibility, and let people run riot; in which case the site will end up a festering, worthless, litigation-creating boil; or
    b) moderate the behind out of it; in which case the site would become a breeding ground for accusations of censorship by the already angry patrons.

Of course the natural route is to aim for a balance, and that's the only way the site would work (in my view), but then you're opening yourself up to varying degrees of both downsides -- some companies will still try to sue you, and some posters will still call you a fascist and call your committment and dedication into question. All of which leaves us with the question: Is it worth the hassle?

I actually think it is worth it, and in fact my involvement in IrelandOffline has demonstrated to me that it's not really about value, it's about responsibility. The old "someone else will do it" excuse is another that's wearing thin -- somebody has to step up to the plate. But there's no way in hell I'd go into alone. There's too much at stake, and there would be too much to do. But if others are interested in doing it, I'd be happy to make resources available. I can donate some diskspace and bandwidth, register a domain, and help out on the site. In fact I'd be happy to.

Anyway, the offer's there.

adam

* Me. :)

I think we need to get as many people onboard as possbile then have a brain storm, and see what the general opinion is. We need a few people to "oversee" the whole site, as a group. Plently of people may be willing to help, but it`s the initial first steps that will be the hardest.

If any one is interested if in the slightest about this then please post here and we`ll(i`ll/some`ll) take it from there.

I think we need someone or something to give this idea some direction.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This isn't really the place to discuss it pcirl.com, it would be better off in Humanities. There's no point in talking about a site until there's a bunch of people willing to contribute and get involved.

adam

Advertisement